C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

De-pollution system removal anyone?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
travlician   
Fri Feb 22 2013, 12:52pm
Member No: #350
It took me about 2 hours to replace them, see - Click Here - where I made some comments on ommisions in the manual.
yorkxx   
Sun Feb 24 2013, 12:39pm
Member No: #1005
Hattershaun wrote ...

yorkxx wrote ...

Update on car not starting.

Well tried to start car this morning and it took x3 20 cranks to start then cut out and not a cheep, so straight to Citroen via breakdown transporter

It seem's I was right in the first place being a weak starter motor, so we'll see when it arrives.

I do hope that sorts this poor starting or no starting problem out as quite frankly I've had enough of the C6!

downhearted

Doug

Just a thought, have you waited for the glow plug light on the dashboard to go out before cranking the engine, if it's been cold first thing in the morning, say below 10 degrees C?

On my 2.7HDi I've tried starting without waiting, the engine cranks over for much long than usual, but doesn't fire or it will eventually fire, accompanied with rough running for a sort while.

Hi H,

yes I do wait till the light goes out and I have the Snow-blind fitted for under 10 degrees running recommended by Citroen in the handbook too.

I did ask the garage to test the glow-plugs, they said everything was ok, but then again they said the battery was faulty and it isn't! I'm beginning to loose faith in the garage and the car itself to be honest, the car run's well in general, it's the starting issue that's the problem, and it irks me I've waisted £90 on a battery on their recommendation and it's not that,

At least I will be able to put the original battery back into the car and sell the Varta new one, if I hadn't bought the new battery from the internet I wouldn't have had the old one to do this, so think there is a lesson in there somewhere, ie DIY battery replacement!

Bye the way the "brand new battery" went flat this morning trying to start the car and I had to get a jump start, a further x7 x20 + cranks of the engine and it finally started, unbelievable!

I've never had a car that failed to start since my 1600E back in the Seventies, there is by far way to much poor technology on cars these days to go expensively wrong - deliberately so one would imagine, in-built obsolescence!

I'll update you all when the new starter is fitted, although I'm beginning to have my doubt's about that too.

Cheers D
cruiserphil   
Sun Feb 24 2013, 01:51pm

Member No: #38
Doug,

Sorry to hear that your starting problems have not been solved. I was just wondering why a weak starter is diagnosed? When you first start, a weak starter with a good battery should sound like a good starter with a weak battery i.e. the engine should turn very sluggishly or hardly at all. But if your engine turns over smartly in the first few cranks, then it failing to start would point elsewhere. I know there are many possibilities, but there is one item that must detect for the engine to run at all and it's the engine crankshaft sensor. The ECU has to know the engine is turning and what position it's at.

If it doesn't, the engine will not start. Also it's failure to detect is not necessarily recognisable by the ECU. Therefore no Lexia fault.

Only if the cable to it is broken or shorted are you guaranteed an ECU fault - and then the car will not start at all. It's possible that the sensor speed pick up threshold has drifted.

However, you could report back that the starter has solved it.... but let's wait and see! If not we can discuss further. Don't give up yet. When right the engine should start very smartly!!

Regards,

Phil C.

P.S. hope the starter's under warranty? They're not cheap!
yorkxx   
Sun Feb 24 2013, 06:20pm
Hi Phil,

yes starter it's under it's last day of warranty when diagnosed, £500 plus fitting, I get the feeling they are guessing at what's wrong here and know the warranty is up then I'll go away, No I won't!

Citroen head office will hear of this also the warranty company too, I won't miss, believe me!

Thanks for your help here and I will be insisting that they do not give me the car back till it's properly fixed, I will make your suggestion known to them.

Cheers

D
yorkxx   
Wed Mar 06 2013, 07:03pm
Hi all,

wee update on Car starting problem.

The car has been in for three days now and won't be ready till tomorrow, maybe?
So I'm told.

Apparently it's a nasty job to replace the starter motor, I think they have had other problems though. We'll see?

Keep you updated.
yorkxx   
Thu Mar 07 2013, 11:37pm
Hi Guy's,

well I'm happy to report that the Starter motor replacement was a success, thankfully!

The car starts on the first turn and a half, amazing! The Garage said it was a real difficult job
so I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it as it was under last day of warranty.

Apparently the starter has to be removed via the top of the engine under the fuse box that also has to be removed to do so along with associated wires and pipes, it's made more difficult due to the stretching across the front of the car, they said at one point a two man job.

So hope this finally sort's out the starting problems, just a dozen other electrical things to fix now

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, it's great going to the garage fore-armed.

Cheers.

D
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club