C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Emergency unlocking: Just anxious

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Tjensen   
Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:58am
Member No: #954
My C6 nightmere from tonight was simple: Dead battery and what to do. Doors cant be opened due to windows stuck in their slits. Bonnet and boot only to be opened from inside.Extra electricity can only be supplied from under the bonnet. Usually there would be a emergency procedure (on the DS the bonnet could be opened from the outside) Probably this is already treated in this site, but where ?
michaelb   
Fri Mar 01 2013, 10:09am
Member No: #14
The doors can be opened, the window will pull clear of the trim, but be careful NOT to close them again while the windows are still up or you'll have a broken window.

I've not had this pleasure but I think the sequence goes like this: pull the door open, pop the bonnet, put charge across the electrical connections provided in the engine bay and that should be enough to energise the central locking, open the boot and charge or change your battery.

I am guessing you will have to do a window reset on the door you opened. Given that there have been a couple of broken windows from frost not allowing the drop function to work properly I would be very careful to check that window is dropping normally before I slammed its door.
Tjensen   
Sat Mar 02 2013, 11:54am
Member No: #954
OK, so it is a kind of emergency mechanism that allow the door to be opened without any electricity ? That makes things less dramatic, but emergency starting battery and/or cable are often in the boot........

Is there a small source of rechargeable 12V electricity on the market that fit somewhere inside the car ?
michaelb   
Sat Mar 02 2013, 02:55pm
Member No: #14
Tjensen wrote ...
but emergency starting battery and/or cable are often in the boot........

I know, it's a stupid design and it was the first thing which occurred to me when I saw a C6 in the metal for my first time.

My current car, and the one previous to my C6, both have their batteries in the boot but supply a concealed key-hole to release the boot in the advent of battery failure. I've already used this once on the QP - the key-hole is hidden on the underside of the number plate light assembly. A simple design which saves the owner much stress.
Hawkie   
Sun Mar 03 2013, 08:41pm
Member No: #45
Tjensen wrote ...

Is there a small source of rechargeable 12V electricity on the market that fit somewhere inside the car ?

I was afraid of getting an empty battery when running my Webasto stand heater so I bought a "Start Monkey" to have as a backup if the battery should be empty. I have it in the boot, but it's easy to access the boot by folding the backrest (I obviously don't have a lounge pack).
I have not tried it yet

Håkan
ChrisHunter   
Sun Mar 03 2013, 11:52pm
Member No: #188
>easy to access the boot by folding ...

good thinking - our garage is at the top of a slope, meaning pushing the car in the garage back would mean grounding it, as it went over the threshold ... and the stairs of the house restrict height in the garage at the bonnet end, meaning we can't lift the hood without pushing it back ...

arconell3   
Sun Mar 03 2013, 11:55pm
Member No: #922
The window mechanism is not specific for the C6, almost al Coupé models independent of make have this. Until last year I owned also a BMW Z4 Coupe, with frameless windows and auto-lowering of the glass on opening.

The rear hatch could be opened electrically either from inside or with a separate button on the remote, just opening the hatch. So one day I opened the hatch with the remote, put some stuff in the boot, closed it again only to find out that I had accidentally dropped my keys with the remote in the boot.

Which was now locked. As were the doors... The separate remote button opens the boot but the locking remains active. Close it and it automatically locks itself again....

I wrote BMW afterwards asking them to plse explain the reason behind this feature.

In the end I had to conclude there wasn´t any....
Website
mark28   
Mon Mar 04 2013, 08:01am
Member No: #102
Smart coupe boot was the same !
GTS   
Mon Mar 04 2013, 01:40pm
Member No: #242
My Alfa GT had the same boot feature.....it is handy to have a seperate remote boot release, but obviously you can lock your keys in....
citrohanc6   
Mon Mar 04 2013, 09:11pm
Member No: #329
Tjensen wrote ...

Extra electricity can only be supplied from under the bonnet. Usually there would be a emergency procedure (on the DS the bonnet could be opened from the outside) Probably this is already treated in this site, but where ?

If a tow bar has been fitted you can try to use the + from the connector as an entrance to the car's electric system.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club