C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Extended warranties

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
theguardian   
Wed Mar 14 2012, 11:46pm
Member No: #645
well said i think Citroen like the way mercs bmw audi even vw were selling tried to get into luxury market, saying that the build isn't the same as it with others that is the only thing that lets the c6 down
now on the positive side the c6 has a fantastic ride also we have a car you don't see every day of the week
come on Citroen i say build the ds6 but please do it with half decent parts so it gives us a chance so when we take the c6 for a drive in your so called flagship model we don't have one finger on the phone ready to call the breakdown service cos its broke again & again then saying this why do we all buy breakdown cover ?
Ped   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 07:59am
Member No: #82
The trouble with the internet is that it's always a vocal minority who review cars and the like. There are some 400 C6s in the UK and I don't hear all 400 shouting about poor service. I'm actually very happy with the service I have had from Slough Citroen.

I know how frustrating it must have been and I deeply empathise with your situation over the last few weeks, don't get me wrong. It's a bit of a blanket statement to say that any one manufacturer is better than another, though - it can depend on the mood of the individual in the dealership as much as anything else.

I could easily find someone who is deeply annoyed at the level of service from ANY manufacturer of ANY product very easily, but remember that behind every complaint there are lots of people driving around or using said product without any problems, or at least nothing out of the ordinary.

Having said that I know the average C6 user is very much a petrolhead and likely to be in the more vocal camp.

I know Citroen have a bad rep for customer service, but I'm just pointing out that it's not always the case. But when it is, especially for a C6 customer, it really doesn't leave us feeling like the level of service matches the level of car we have all bought.
tonyrome   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 08:25am
Member No: #15
mark28 wrote ...
Lexus or Mercedes would be my suggestion.

Lexus has the best reputation, amongst the mainstream manufactures, for looking after their customers. Of course, if you can afford some exotic machinery, you'll also get excellent service but then not many can afford to buy McLarens or Bristols or Morgans, for example!

The problem with Citroen, is that the customer is not considered important enough. The attitude of many dealers is poor and they are sometimes incompetent, too, but, worse still, Citroen UK themselves are hopeless, in my experience. You can't expect a top-class dealership if the company themselves are clueless, when it comes to Customer Service.

This and the build-quality/reliability issues are the reason why I can't see myself returning to the marque in the future.
C6Dave   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 08:43am

Member No: #1
Ped wrote ...

The trouble with the internet is that it's always a vocal minority who review cars and the like. There are some 400 C6s in the UK and I don't hear all 400 shouting about poor service. I'm actually very happy with the service I have had from Slough Citroen.

400? it's more than double that when we last looked at the DVLA figures.

I have no complaints about my local dealers either. Not everyone suffers from 'bad service'
Website
michaelb   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 12:47pm
Member No: #14
I read lots of car forums and there is no marque without problems. Google "BMW swirl flaps" if you want a laugh.

But what differs with Citroën is the attitude. I've heard of many examples of high mileage, well-out-of-warranty, Toyotas having complete engine changes FOC. Toyota, and their Lexus brand too, make it their problem, not the customer's.

This means the owner is unlikely to say "terrible car, the engine went pop" and more likely to say "I've never really had a problem with it".
BruceB   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 02:35pm
Member No: #234
michaelb wrote ...

I read lots of car forums and there is no marque without problems.

But what differs with Citroën is the attitude.

Indeed. I wrote the way I did purely because the impression I have gathered over time is that the C6 is like a supermodel: gorgeous to look at but inherently unstable and unreliable, relying on her looks alone to get her through life. The trouble is that even the most supine and forgiving of men eventually gets tired of being pussy-whipped and leaves.

Each time I get close to dealing on a C6 which isn't quite what I want but close enough, I weigh up the racehorse looks against the racehorse temperament and leave it for somebody else to buy. If I do find exactly what I want, I expect I'm still susceptible to being seduced away to the dark side. I also expect that I'll regret it!
dsharples   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 07:22pm
Member No: #119
To date, I also have experienced good customer service from Citroen UK, and generally good service from my local Citroen Dealer. Sure, we have had our problems, and a near "fall-out" almost causing me never to grace the forecourt again... but they have tried *really* hard to overcome the issues, and have kept me happy since. But this is my 3rd Citroen from them, which have all been maintained by them - and they looked after the fourth Citroen for 8 years - albeit purchased from a different Citroen dealer - so I am a "good customer" of both the Dealer and Citroen. My main car has only been a Citroen maintained by the same dealer for the last 21 years.

However, the "ownership experience" - of using a non-prestige car dealer - is never going to give the feel-good of the other marques mentioned. It's always a "nice experience" to take my wife's Mercedes in for its service - that is if they haven't come and collected it from her place of work for her - which they usually do...FOC. Just like their cars, the touch-points are very good and well thought-through and executed... but behind the scenes, its all the same proven and/or common platform and component engineering.

I have fed this back via Citroen's own customer satisfaction surveys, as an issue they need to address. If they want to take the DS-line to a premium customer segment, they need to offer a more prestige after-sales service in all of the their dealers.... which they haven't yet done everywhere.

Agreed, the C6 has had too many designed-in-niggles for a £40k car - and I probably crib about mine a little too much to friends etc - but sometimes reflect that I'm lucky that my favorite marque still exists, given its relatively tiny size/volumes compared to the other marques mentioned, and has the ambition and financial commitment to even make the C6. Perhaps my friends, we have to accept that if we want to drive a stylish and unconventional hydraulically suspended large saloon, from a financially challenged, low-production cost focused, relatively low-volume niche European mass-production manufacturer - we have to accept at least some of the parts-bin compromises that have resulted in at least some of the C6's shortcomings.

tonyrome   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 09:10pm
Member No: #15
C6Dave wrote ...
I have no complaints... Not everyone suffers from 'bad service'

With respect though, Dave, you haven't had any serious problems with your car yet and are a very low mileage user. You may think rather differently when you begin to suffer one (expensive) problem after another - and I suspect you will suffer those problems, because the C6 is not sufficiently well built - and the warranty company finds a line of small-print to avoid paying out, so you turn to Citroen UK, only to find they just shrug their shoulders...
theguardian   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 10:04pm
very well said im not a heavy user i started having problems with mine at 6000 miles and carried on from there i reckon the repairs to my car have gone over 10k plus and it hasn't done 30.000 k yet and just to put things into perspective my son has a 1998 ford cougar 2.5lt its now done 189.600 miles and the engine just purrs and its never had a problem except routine servicing and just the odd bits over the years but again its just routine stuff it s never ever broke down and its a ford i wouldn't class his car as an luxury executive car so as far as im concerned if Citroen want to get into the upmarket luxury car side then they have to build the with quality parts and in that we should get a car that we get in it and just drive and just to put a final point in i got my car back on mon evening and its not as smooth now as it was before it just doesn't drive right so tomorrow I'm taking it back in to get it checked out cos something is not right
theguardian   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 10:21pm
and just one more point id like to add if Citroen don't want to hear what we say about their cars when they breakdown how do they improve them and yes i do get angry when I've paid good money for something and I can't use it, wouldn't anyone and I'm sorry if Citroen or my dealership cant take a little bit of heat then get out of the kitchen when things go wrong
Rich   
Fri Mar 16 2012, 02:21pm
Member No: #542
Dan595 wrote ...

I bought a lifetime 'My Vehicle Warranty' (Autoguard) at the end of last year when my five year Citroen warranty expired - didn't continue with the official warranty as I was over the mileage limit (I think you have to be under 75,000 miles) and it was looking expensive. For 'My Vehicle Warranty' you need to be under 80,000 at commencement.

Anyway, my n/s/r window regulator exploded in dramatic fashion yesterday (almost called 999) and I took the car into the main dealer. Today they rang me with a price - I made one quick call to Autoguard, gave them the details, they rang the garage and approved it - all within 30 minutes. So a big thumbs-up so far.

But a thumbs-down for Citroen, who can't get the part until next week.

It's the first significant problem I've had in 80,000 miles driving (2.2 manual).

I am just about to go with My Vehicle Warranty based on your recommendation. Their lifetime Gilt Premium cover looks impressive and includes suspension. Got to be worth it at £389 considering the miles I do.

C6Dave   
Fri Mar 16 2012, 04:16pm

Member No: #1
the_unrepentant wrote ...

I am just about to go with My Vehicle Warranty based on your recommendation. Their lifetime Gilt Premium cover looks impressive and includes suspension. Got to be worth it at £389 considering the miles I do.

You need to be aware that on every anniversary of the policy they require a copy of your V5, MOT certificate and a copy of the cars service record covering the last 2 services otherwise the policy is void.
Website
Ped   
Fri Mar 16 2012, 04:40pm
Member No: #82
C6Dave wrote ...

You need to be aware that on every anniversary of the policy they require a copy of your V5, MOT certificate and a copy of the cars service record covering the last 2 services otherwise the policy is void.

Oh really? I haven't had my policy for a year yet but will they contact me for this or is it my responsibility to remember?

I also paid a bit more to lift the maximum claim from 1k to 2k.
Rich   
Fri Mar 16 2012, 07:18pm
Member No: #542
Ped wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...

Oh really? I haven't had my policy for a year yet but will they contact me for this or is it my responsibility to remember?

I also paid a bit more to lift the maximum claim from 1k to 2k.

Thats all OK with me as I keep my C6 serviced and MOT's on time. On their quote, it stated they are now offering the 2k limit for free so I think its a great deal. I have already had my struts done while the car had Citroen warranty but with the miles I do, I worry it will happen again.
Dan595   
Fri Mar 16 2012, 11:52pm
Member No: #299

Thats all OK with me as I keep my C6 serviced and MOT's on time. On their quote, it stated they are now offering the 2k limit for free so I think its a great deal. I have already had my struts done while the car had Citroen warranty but with the miles I do, I worry it will happen again.

To be honest I doubt that they'd cover leaking struts, as they'd classify that as wear and tear. I bought the lifetime warranty as cheap cover for major things (and knew that even then they wouldn't cover the full cost). I expected to have to argue for any claim, but was pleasantly surprised to find that, in this case at least, it was all quick and painless.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club