C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

V6 HDi Fuel Consumption

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Tue Feb 16 2010, 11:19pm

Member No: #1
Thnks for the info, the conversion isn't a problem as I have added Citroen's own conversion tool.

You just need to click the icon in the toolbar
Website
bdeithrick   
Sun Mar 21 2010, 05:00am
Member No: #70
no body mentioned the air filter, i dont know of any air filter thats not dirty over 4000miles, if the engine cant breath it will pump in more fuel to make the mixture, for power.

hoover your filters once a month and change your oil every 6-8k its worth it in the long run..

I cant see the engine being in good order at 20k kms or 20k miles ?? any one know the proper service intervals on the 2.7 diesel,, what do citroen say??
C6Dave   
Sun Mar 21 2010, 08:09am

bdeithrick wrote ...

I cant see the engine being in good order at 20k kms or 20k miles ?? any one know the proper service intervals on the 2.7 diesel,, what do citroen say??

It's all in the FAQ here: - Click Here -

Lots of short runs = 'Severe Operating Conditions'
Website
tonyrome   
Sun Mar 21 2010, 09:35pm
Member No: #15
David K wrote ...
I usually end up around 5.6 l/10 km.

Crickey! 5.6 litres every 10km? That's 5mpg...

Just back from a 240km trip on the Autobahn, which perfectly sums up my frustration re fuel economy on this car. I drove only about 10km either end of the Autobahn, on smaller roads with traffic lights etc., the rest on the Autobahn with only moderate traffic. Should be superb economy but, driving at only moderately high speeds (mainly between 120 and 160km/h), the average was just 9.1 l/100km (31mpg). There are petrol engined cars which would give better economy than that!
David K   
Sun Mar 21 2010, 09:55pm
Member No: #42
tonyrome wrote ...

Crickey! 5.6 litres every 10km? That's 5mpg...

Hmm. I think I wrote a little bit wrong there. It should be 6.5 instead. But i don't think that is around 5 mpg anyway, or?

But my consumption is still pretty low. On my trip computer you can see what is the latest numbers. It's mainly driving on the countryside, but around 30% on highways and in town. I'm pretty pleased.
But when i'm driving on the countryside I usually use the Snow-mode for the gearbox. In my opinion it gives smoother gear changes in not so unnecessarely high revs. I mean, it's a diesel with twin turbos. It doesn't have to go up to 2000 revs until it changes. In the Snow-mode it usually changes in 1600 revs, and that's so much more comfortable and suitable for the car.
So what I would like to have on the C6, is a economy mode for the gearbox instead of the Sport-mode which is very unnecessarely on this car.

verycleverman   
Mon Mar 22 2010, 02:06am
Member No: #65
tonyrome wrote ...

Should be superb economy but, driving at only moderately high speeds (mainly between 120 and 160km/h), the average was just 9.1 l/100km (31mpg). There are petrol engined cars which would give better economy than that!

I agree, I can achieve 30mpg in my 3.0i. However, it's worth remembering that at speeds in excess of 80mph, (130kph), the spoiler is deployed and that will have a significantly adverse effect on fuel consumption. Personally, I like to cruise at around 75mph, when my cruise control works!

Pete.

tonyrome   
Mon Mar 22 2010, 01:14pm
David K wrote ...
Hmm. I think I wrote a little bit wrong there. It should be 6.5 instead. But i don't think that is around 5 mpg anyway, or?

No, I was just laughing at your typo - you meant l/100km not l/10km. Your fuel economy figures are very impressive and I have also managed decent figures, but only when driving ultra carefully. I expected far more from general motorway driving.

verycleverman wrote ...
it's worth remembering that at speeds in excess of 80mph, (130kph), the spoiler is deployed and that will have a significantly adverse effect on fuel consumption.

I wonder how much of an effect the spoiler has? Pity you can't retract it, just to see. I also notice a lot of wind noise at high speeds, especially around the wing mirrors, so I'm not entirely sure about the aerodynamic efficiency, either. I still think the worst offenders are the weight and the auto gearbox, though. I had to manually change into 6th gear at 115km/h the other day, as it insisted on staying in 5th, would you believe?!
gmerry   
Wed Mar 24 2010, 09:48pm
Member No: #21
Tony, how are you checking that the auto was in 5th not 6th. In "drive", I just get a D in the dashboard. Were you shifting across to manual and then listening for a change (or watching rev counter?)

Regards

PS, my mileage is creeping upwards and that is driving faster/harder! It just does not like hanging around!!
tino   
Wed Mar 24 2010, 11:28pm
Member No: #11
I get around 35 MPG average in my 2.7 HDI on a 40 mile round trip (2 x 20 mile motorway trips) at approx 65-70MPH. Best fuel consumption was on a 250 mile trip down South with 5 people on board .... peaked at around 42 MPG, but averaged about 38 MPG overall. Not bad all things considered ... I wonder if the new 3.0 HDI is significantly better???
tonyrome   
Thu Mar 25 2010, 03:47pm
gmerry wrote ...
how are you checking that the auto was in 5th not 6th. In "drive", I just get a D in the dashboard. Were you shifting across to manual and then listening for a change (or watching rev counter?

I could hear it was still in fifth and the rev counter confirmed it. I manually moved it into sixth and the revs dropped. Re the 'D' on the dashboard, it would be better if there was also a display of the gear, rather than only in manual mode.

tino wrote ...
I wonder if the new 3.0 HDI is significantly better???

Well, it's supposed to be quite a bit better, although not enough to justify £20K extra outlay in buying one, of course . Until someone actually takes the plunge and purchases one, though, we won't know the real world figures.
bdeithrick   
Tue Mar 30 2010, 12:53am
hi all, my 1 route trip have 2250 miles on it and its at 10l/100km(27mpg) and working last night i was getting 12-13L/100km.
its not a great engine for fuel economy, when i go light footed and stay on open roads i can get 7.5 but this is really hard, its a long way from the 1.2tdi polo that did 3L/100km on tests a few years ago..

PS why does the on board computer shown the range car as a Peugeot 405
bdeithrick   
Tue Mar 30 2010, 01:02am
tonyrome wrote ...

In the meantime, I think I'll try to fashion a homemade snow guard for the grill and see if it helps with the consumption.

forgive my ignorance, but fitting a guard to limit cold air at the radiator, hence cooling the coolant. Is that not what the thermostat is for, to keep the engine hot.
if the water get to cold the stat will close, till its hot again.... so why for the cover ?? does the stat not work quick enough
C6Dave   
Tue Mar 30 2010, 07:06am

Citroen recommend that the 'snow guard' is fitted when temperatures remain below 10c for extended periods.

A 'thermostat' only 'regulates' the engine temperature. Constant very cold air will keep the engine bay at a temperature below the optimum required to operate at full efficiency, will take the engine longer to warm up regardless if the thermostat is working or not.

Comparing the mpg achievable from a 2.25 ton 2.7 HDi car with an automatic gearbox to a 1.2 TDi Polo is totally pointless I'm afraid.

They are 2 completely different vehicles built to different design specifications.

bdeithrick wrote ...

PS why does the on board computer shown the range car as a Peugeot 405

Don't know why you think that, it's a generic car image on a reasonably low quality LCD screen (or is in the Lignage but can't comment on Navidrive images)
Website
Dave Mc   
Sat Apr 03 2010, 04:24pm
Member No: #64
I've just done my first long (ish) trip. From Weston super Mare to Bedford via Milton Keynes the land of the roundabout!! Total trip 324 miles, average speed of 44mph and a return of 39.3mpg. For such a large heavy car with that many roundabouts I'm very happy. I do admit I don't excellerate quickly and I have a tendancy to move out of auto to ensure 6th is engaged at about 50mph.
michaelb   
Sat Apr 17 2010, 08:06am
Member No: #14
I don't understand this car.

As mentioned above I got 32 to 33 mpg from it on long runs over Chrissy and New Year. Which was less than spectacular.

Yesterday, same driver, same load, same roads, same speeds, same cruise control, same traffic conditions, okay a bit warmer ambient temperature, and she returned 42.8 mpg average over 600 kms. That's more like it

Go figure.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club