C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Depollution system failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ChrisHunter   
Sat Nov 13 2010, 04:39pm
Member No: #188
thanks, if it persists we'll try that - have noticed that holding down the Dark button for 10+ seconds, to restart the computer that drives the central display, also reverts it to kph etc - though only briefly !
ChrisHunter   
Wed Nov 17 2010, 10:49pm
just to note ... after a few days, the warning symbol (on the speedo-screen) went away - so, presumably, the de-pollution system must be thinking all is OK again !
michaelb   
Thu Nov 18 2010, 08:27am
Member No: #14
If you did a long run it's possible that cleared it out.
ChrisHunter   
Thu Nov 18 2010, 12:21pm
we have a 35 mile each-way we do fairly often ...

must find out how the de-pollution system works !
C6Dave   
Thu Nov 18 2010, 01:25pm

Member No: #1
ChrisHunter wrote ...

we have a 35 mile each-way we do fairly often ...

must find out how the de-pollution system works !

Have a read of this: - Click Here -

Lots of short journeys can cause a build up in the FAP as there is not enough heat generated to burn the carbon off basically.

However that is only part of the story as 'Depollution Error' is a generic term that covers the whole system.

A failed 02 (Lambada) sensor will throw the generic error, as will a host of other things I'm afraid and the only way to find out what is actually causing the problem is to hook the car up to Lexia.
Website
ChrisHunter   
Thu Nov 18 2010, 05:42pm
many thanks - 'tis clear, there's more to our car than I was even remotely aware-of (bet this is just one example amongst many) !

yep, we'll take the car in to Dave at Marton to get the low down on what's behind all the lights we have / have-had shining-away behind the steering wheel ! We were there today, for the Berlingo's service (57k miles, 5+ years), so mentioned them ...

'wonder if someone could be persuaded to do a write-up on the 'C6 - the design process, what's in it & why, how it all works, etc ?
ChrisHunter   
Sun Nov 21 2010, 11:03pm
update - fault came back next time I put my foot down rather more than normal ... and went away again after maybe fifty miles of normal driving ...
ChrisHunter   
Fri Dec 17 2010, 05:43pm
OK problem goes away after fifty miles or so, and stays away until the next time we demand a bit more via my right foot - ie: when want to overtake just that bit more quickly than usual (last night, we were alongside a RAV4 on a long straight bit of country road, getting by fairly rapidly, when it dropped to idle - hmm, expect they wondered what was going on, but taking my foot off, waiting a moment, then pressing on more normally, brought normality back again, apart from the warning light staying on) ...

anyway, while it was at Dave's today for diagnosis for the other problem, a fuel overpressure fault showed-up - ie: likely cure is a new fuel filter & some additive ... which we'll do when it's in for the other problem (new ABS sensor - not expensive, these days) ...

NB: warning light went out after diagnosis ...
ChrisHunter   
Sat Jan 29 2011, 01:18am
Diagnosis was clogged fuel filter - new filter, end of problem. Citroën recommend using low sulphur fuel for at least the first half tank after doing this, apparently. Except once or twice, through force of circumstances, we avoid supermarket fuel, and we suspect the two garages we had been frequenting prior to the problem had stopped playing straight - whether or not, since we took our business elsewhere both the C6 & the Berlingo do sound & run better ...

after the fix, we filled-up from near empty with Total's Excelium (or whatever it's called), and it definitely likes it.

So, anyway - if the message is depollution system fault, after trying to accelerate v.hard & having the engine drop to idle, and then (after a few seconds) allowing only moderate use of the throttle, one possibility is a partially clogged fuel filter !
tonyrome   
Sun Jan 30 2011, 07:47pm
Member No: #15
ChrisHunter wrote ...
Except once or twice, through force of circumstances, we avoid supermarket fuel

Do you really think there's such a thing as 'supermarket fuel'? I don't believe there's any difference. You can waste your money on some supposedly superior fuel, like these people who claim to notice their petrol car is running better with 98RON fuel but this has been comprehensively shown to be nonsence.

The only problem you may get with any diesel in the UK (it might be different in the middle of Bulgaria or something) is if you tank up with Bio Diesel. That would clog up your filter but, otherwise, I fail to see how filling up with fuel at Tesco, as opposed to 'Total Excelium Racing Super Plus Mega Low Sulphur' using the 'expensive-so-it-must-be-better' theory is just throwing money away.

I've used whatever was most convenient/cheapest for 25 years and it hasn't made any difference whatsoever.
C6Dave   
Sun Jan 30 2011, 08:38pm

Member No: #1
I agree Tony, now how many 'oil refineries' does everyone think supply the whole UK market?

Yes you can Google it
Website
verycleverman   
Sun Jan 30 2011, 11:29pm
Member No: #65
C6Dave wrote ...

I agree Tony, now how many 'oil refineries' does everyone think supply the whole UK market?

Yes you can Google it

And if you stand outside the gates of the distribution depots you will see tankers from all the retailers come out. The only difference is in your mind.

Pete.
ChrisHunter   
Thu Feb 10 2011, 12:45pm
>difference ...

hmm, in this case the Citroën request was to be sure to use low-suplhur fuel after the service ...

and we do notice it's quieter & more responsive ...

so, who knows !

'still behaving itself, too ...
gmerry   
Thu Feb 10 2011, 04:56pm
Member No: #21
Chris, do you know how many miles the fuel filter had been in service? Is yours a high mileage car?

Re the low sulphur fuel, can't see the connection between a filter and the sulphur content. Could you enlighten us.

thanks
G
paulnaylor   
Sun Jul 31 2011, 01:32pm
Member No: #200
I last posted on this theme about a year ago. Since then the fault has recurred from time to time and I do, a least, know now that any rapid acceleration above about 2000 revs is likely to result in a sudden drop in power and the temporary loss of cruise control. If I allow the cruise control to direct the car from say 40mph to 70 or so, it will almost invariably bring up the de-pollution warning as the cc system accelerates a good deal more rapidly than I would.

It goes in for its 60,000 mile service next week and I am keen to get this sorted out so that I can actually enjoy the full capabilities of the car and no longer risk being stranded floundering in the overtaking lane.

Has anyone cracked this such that I can tell the garage what to look out for?

Paul
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club