C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Ball joints - yes for a third time

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Tue Feb 14 2012, 04:09pm
Member No: #82
Just had a small service (only wanted an oil change, next service isn't for 10K but for only a tenner more they do a mini service).

Car comes back OK but there's 'play in the O/S/F lower ball joint'. Having had this replaced 14 months ago I get pretty angry. They are going to see if Citroen will do it under 'goodwill'.

So far I have replaced BOTH lower ball joints and a wheel bearing. Manager type guy at Slough didn't seem to think it was a common issue (whereas I told him people on here will disagree) but they are going to check the larger suspension structure to see if there's a reason my car seems to eat them for breakfast.

If they can't find anything I'll be going for a 'service' every 11 months as these parts have a 12 month warranty.

Deeply frustrated about this and hope they call me with good news tomorrow.

Funnily enough I haven't noticed any play at all in the suspension, it's felt great since I had the bearing done.

Needless to say 'Autoguard' 'Warranty' company said it was wear and tear and they wont touch it.
gmerry   
Tue Feb 14 2012, 05:36pm
Member No: #21
Ped, it is most certainly NOT wear and tear and is wholey down to bad design of the seal allowing water ingress, washout of the grease and corrosion of the rolling element bearings. So you should argue the toss with them.

Needs a grease point if it is to last. One other thing, if they just replace the "balljoint", the new seal lip within the ball joint will be rubbing on the corroded section of the suspension leg and will last about 5 minutes.

Regards
G
Ped   
Wed Feb 15 2012, 06:28pm
Big surprise no call today.
Ped   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 11:00am
Sitting in slough again. Started car to see a depollutuon fault.

Still no word RE ball joint.
Ped   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 05:49pm
The air pressure sensor in the turbo manifold was dirty and sending an error so they cleaned it up and it's fine now, though may need a new sensor it if happens again.

Citroen are paying for half the coat of the ball joint. It's going in on Tuesday for the work.
gmerry   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 06:59pm
Member No: #21
Ball Joint Retail is about £86, so does that mean Citroen are chipping in £43 (must cost them about a tenner).

Regards
G
Ped   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 07:55pm
They should really do it for free but to tell you the truth I just can't be bothered arguing. If it happens again they will find they have a C6 in their showroom rather unexpectedly next week.
theguardian   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 08:48pm
Member No: #645
hi mate i was just thinking you might need to change the garage as you know mine is in reading (evans halshaw in rose kiln la) they have been fantastic with my car they ring me when they say they are going to and nothing seems too much for them to sort out i recomend them very highly
regards ron
ps must get together for a coffee at some point as we live so close
Ped   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 11:41pm
theguardian wrote ...

hi mate i was just thinking you might need to change the garage as you know mine is in reading (evans halshaw in rose kiln la) they have been fantastic with my car they ring me when they say they are going to and nothing seems too much for them to sort out i recomend them very highly
regards ron
ps must get together for a coffee at some point as we live so close

Thanks. Yes I have considered it but once I calm down I do actually really rate the slough dealership. They cleared my depollution fault free of charge today and they didn't have to. I have actually had very good service from them.

What winds me up is that they say 'what time can you bring the car in' and you say 9 or 10 expecting them to be checking some kind of schedule. You wait there for hours (or even in desperation walk into slough) and they don't actually look at the car until 3pm! Why ask me to come at 10?!

I'm going to ask them to have a full on detailed look at the front end because going back is a real pain when I work in the other direction.

Also I'll be going back for a mini service every 11 months. At £99 it's very good value and it should keep the joints in check. I REALLY hope it's sorted this time because as a dealer approved car it shouldn't have happened at all, let alone 3 times. Once more and I'll have to question our future. I have no idea what I would have instead as I simpler adore the C6 and it's come to define me so fingers crossed for me on Tuesday please chaps.
michaelb   
Fri Feb 17 2012, 11:59am
Member No: #14
Ped wrote ...

What winds me up is that they say 'what time can you bring the car in' and you say 9 or 10 expecting them to be checking some kind of schedule. You wait there for hours (or even in desperation walk into slough) and they don't actually look at the car until 3pm! Why ask me to come at 10?!

I've had this from them too and quickly learnt to only drop the car off to them when they had a loan car available for me.
Ped   
Fri Feb 17 2012, 12:09pm
michaelb wrote ...

Ped wrote ...

I've had this from them too and quickly learnt to only drop the car off to them when they had a loan car available for me.

Yeah, thing is they charge for the loan car and they never have one for a couple of weeks from asking so it's never convenient.
mark28   
Fri Feb 17 2012, 12:56pm
Member No: #102
If only the C6 was not so delicate we would al spend less time in the dealer . This week I have had a new suspension control switch and I am still waiting for the new mini brather pipe ( from before Xmas). Still focused on getting it paid for and moving on !!
drummond   
Sat Feb 18 2012, 12:13pm
Member No: #238
Ped, Slough don't neccessarily charge for the loan car- your insurance policy may cover it.
michaelb   
Sun Feb 19 2012, 09:14am
Member No: #14
Ped wrote ...

Yeah, thing is they charge for the loan car and they never have one for a couple of weeks from asking so it's never convenient.

Really? They never charged me, and sometimes I had nice C5s from them too.
Ped   
Sun Feb 19 2012, 10:44am
I've had a C1, C4, C4picasso and a DS3 from them. The latter two were charged because of some insurance ruling, apparently (£14 a day or something nominal, but still!)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club