Chipping a C6 2.7HDi

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
c6bern   
Wed Nov 10 2010, 07:14pm
Member No: #148
tonyrome wrote ...

there's still a definite lag before it accelerates.

Yes, because the fluid in the Torque Converter has not yet built any Kinetic Energy. Its more efficient, but rather a design flaw.

I had quite a search to find a manual equipped car. Shame they're no longer made, but apparently there's little demand. See Mercedes. I specifically bought the Citroën because Merc no longer sources manual transmissions in their full size limousines.

But that’s just me.
tonyrome   
Wed Nov 10 2010, 08:10pm
Member No: #15
Ped wrote ...
I just chill out and relax. it's what the C6 was made for. Let others blast away from the line.

It's not about needing to 'blast away from the line'! There are plenty of occasions when a lag is extremely undesirable and potentially dangerous. I want an instant reaction to a change of throttle and it seems the only way, in the case of the C6, is to specify a manual 'box.

c6bern wrote ...
I specifically bought the Citroën because Merc no longer sources manual transmissions in their full size limousines.

The E-Class is still available with manual gearboxes but I agree, there are far too many slushboxes about! I haven't noticed the lag problem with DSG gearboxes, though.
RichardKC6   
Wed Nov 10 2010, 08:58pm
Member No: #49
wrote ...

RichardKC6 wrote ...

Not a huge one though; big ol' slushbox and a 3.0 straight six

I guess it depends on ones idea of huge or big.

Yeah, thats true. With an 8.2 Caddy in my history, and my Eldorado weighing in at 19ft long with a 4.1 that produced only 125hp, I figured the Supra was a reasonable comparison car that most people will have encountered. 3.0 MA70 Supras were common as muck in the UK, popular wide-boy car for those put off by the Ford badge on an XR4i (I prefer the XR4i to drive, but always wanted XR4x4 running gear in a 4i bodyshell).
verycleverman   
Thu Nov 11 2010, 12:54am
Member No: #65
I'm tempted to say that the problem lies with the diesel engine or its turbo. My last but one car was a C5 2.2 HDi Auto Estate with the 4 speed box. The delay when pulling away from rest was quite frightening, particularly as I had to pull out across a busy road, turning right, to go anywhere. I replaced the diesel with a similar 3.0i V6. It had the same gearbox but never suffered from the same hesitation.
Now, of course, I have the 3.0i C6 and again the gearbox is the same as the 2.7 HDi. My petrol powered car hasn't even a hint of hesitation pulling away, it's as smooth as silk.

Pete.
c6bern   
Thu Nov 11 2010, 07:41am
verycleverman wrote ...

I'm tempted to say that the problem lies with the diesel engine or its turbo. My last but one car was a C5 2.2 HDi

Well the 2.2HDi in my C6 is sublime. Quite wonderful really. 3rd gear is quite usable from 20->80k/h, if your lazy.

That is to say my 2.2 engine pulls really well, right from the bottom.

I found the 2.7 automatic to be undriveable. And I test drove two different cars. There was so little positive feedback from the accelerator I had to check if 'icy-road-mode' was engaged.

Someone at Citroën has the wrong idea of how an automatic transmission is supposed to operate. Sad really.
c6bern   
Thu Nov 11 2010, 07:49am
verycleverman wrote ...
My petrol powered car hasn't even a hint of hesitation pulling away, it's as smooth as silk.

A short re-think.

I'm an incessant double-clutcher. Spin up the input shaft with a little goose and spare the sychros. Not so nicely done with a turbo-diesel. Those unloaded spool-ups are just pure punishment for the turbochargers. So as the driver of a manual transmission you have the option, easy on the synchros or easy on the turbos.

It could be that Citroën has programmed the drivetrain ECUs to avoid turbo spool-ups, as would occur on gearshift kickdowns, thus aggravating the hesitancy issue.
michaelb   
Thu Nov 11 2010, 08:46am
Member No: #14
I was in a client's S600 yesterday. V12, twin turbo, 0 - 60 mph in 4.6 secs, slushbox. It didn't have any problems off the line

It was an interesting comparison to the C6. I drove an hour in the C6 to his office, then we drove in his Merc to our meeting. Sitting in the back I found the S600's suspension had a good bit of jiggle and nervousness, the tyre noise was similar - I didn't see the tyres' details but they were some silly 'painted-on' low profile nonsense - and the boot seemed quite small for such a monster - although a quick check on the 'Net shows me it was the standard 500 litres. The most impressive thing was the engine: whisper quiet at tick-over and deliciously musical when on song with a vicious shove in the back to go with it

Getting back into the C6 it felt decidedly slow and dieselly - but more comfortable. Just as well as the traffic back through London, probably because of the disruption around Mill Bank, was insane.
norm7171551   
Sat Nov 13 2010, 09:15am
Member No: #259
I find switching gearbox to sports setting reduces what I've begun to call "roundabout lag".
tonyrome   
Sat Nov 13 2010, 10:25am
Member No: #15
michaelb wrote ...
I was in a client's S600 yesterday. V12, twin turbo, 0 - 60 mph in 4.6 secs, slushbox. It didn't have any problems off the line

That's a very tasty engine! I prefer the new CL to the S but would it be a V12 CL600 or a V8 CL63 AMG? Incidentally, the insurance costs for a V12 CL65 AMG, worth well in excess of £100K, would be a mere £150 more than the C6 for me...crazy.

norm7171551 wrote ...
I find switching gearbox to sports setting reduces what I've begun to call "roundabout lag".

I tried it in Sport mode, too but I found it didn't help much. The main difference is that it holds the gears longer and perhaps the throttle response is a little sharper but it didn't resolve the lag problem.

Back on the subject of the thread, has anyone actually had their C6 remapped? I intended doing this soon after purchase but never got around to it. The original company recommended to me, Red Dot, reckoned 240-250PS would be possible without any adverse effects. However, Dave suggested Red Dot tended to overfuel and recommended Angel. I never followed it up, as I wasn't sure whether I'd keep the car in the long term.
ChrisHunter   
Thu Nov 18 2010, 06:56pm
Member No: #188
wonder if putting the stick to the left could help in any way ?

not sure what to call it - manual with auto-protection - so far we've used it mostly for when having to go down steep hills, 'though we have experimented when going through a series of roundabouts ... ie: adjust approach speed to try to flow into the roundabout, have stick to the left to be-rid of the unwanted change-down if need to up the speed a bit ...
c6bern   
Thu Nov 18 2010, 07:54pm
Its all explainated here:

C6Dave   
Fri Nov 19 2010, 08:45am

Member No: #1

Very simple explanation
Website
Driscodave   
Fri Nov 19 2010, 06:10pm
Member No: #283
Great Response THANKS!
But has anyone chipped their C6 diesel - thinking about a CHips Express installation - 240bhp and better economy?
RedRay   
Fri Nov 19 2010, 07:08pm
Member No: #103
I know somebody who did, it's a ten minute job, socket is under plastic engine cover between the "v", lots more noise from low revs , bit better fuel consumption and lots more power but engine sounded too laboured, the box is now for sale !!
drummond   
Tue Dec 07 2010, 07:10pm
Member No: #238
I'm told that the 2.7 clutch protests if you take off too fast, hence the lag. Citroen, it appears, got it right, if you can call it that.....the 3.0 diesel has a twin clutch which can take the power.

So I'm told!

I meant slushbox, not clutch. Ah, well!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club