Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Emergency Replacement Key & Fob - Can it be done?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
dsharples   
Wed Dec 25 2013, 11:41pm
Member No: #119
After a wonderful Christmas Day at my Brother's house, it looks like I may have "lost" my fob/key for the C6! 260 miles from home/2nd key...
I'm currently located in Hindley Green, nr Wigan.

Does anyone know if a dealer (e.g. Rigbyes) can "same day" create and pre-program a new key/fob that I can use without access to the car - or I'm I into a trip home to try and find the 2nd key/fob?

Whilst I'm still holding some hope that it may turn-up tomorrow, any advice or guidance would be welcome.
speedfix   
Thu Dec 26 2013, 09:02am
Member No: #1043
OK here we go for a what can work to open a car if maybe the keys are locked inside the car, but may work have never tried with a lost key.

If you have a spare key back home, get someone back home with their mobile and call them, hold the cell phone a little way from your car door and get the person at home to press the unlock button on the spare fob holding it near the mobile phone their end.
Your car may unlock!
Distance between mobile phones is no object so may save the long drive to collect the key.
C6Dave   
Thu Dec 26 2013, 09:11am

Member No: #1
dsharples wrote ...

Does anyone know if a dealer (e.g. Rigbyes) can "same day" create and pre-program a new key/fob that I can use without access to the car - or I'm I into a trip home to try and find the 2nd key/fob?

Programming the key may not be a problem, but I'm not sure on cutting the blade.

All you can do is ask in the morning.

I would have another good game of 'hunt the key' though..........
Website
Trainman   
Thu Dec 26 2013, 09:14am

Member No: #86
Yes they should be able to sort one out for you, although I'm not positive about it. There is another dealer in Wigan by Wigan North Western station, give me a shout if you get stuck I'm only up the road in Preston
speedfix   
Thu Dec 26 2013, 02:02pm
Member No: #1043
Are you sure the key is not in the car or boot, some cars will self lock after the the central locking is activated and the key left iside the boot or car?

So far as getting a new central locking key the confidential code card will be needed, may well be hidden within the car! or within the service book etc wallet at home!

Worth a try with the phone trick to gain accesss into car!

smihaialex   
Thu Dec 26 2013, 03:03pm
Member No: #1031
Not same day, as keys are ordered from Citroën based on the code on the scratch and see card. Also, the mobile phone trick used to work for low frequency keys that were used for central locking on cars 15-20 years ago, but DOESN'T work for our keys which use a very high frequency that cannot be picked up by the phone's mic and sent through.

Your best bet is to have someone bring you the spare, and next time bring your spare with you (I learned that the hard way after locking the key from my BMW in the trunk, in the parking lot of a supermarket, some 200 Km from home )

Cheerios,
Sam
C6Dave   
Thu Dec 26 2013, 03:12pm

speedfix wrote ...

So far as getting a new central locking key the confidential code card will be needed, may well be hidden within the car! or within the service book etc wallet at home!

You can get keys without the 'code' card from Citroen, but they charge circa £17.50 (that was a while back)to go online and get the original key code info.

Current Citroen cars don't have a code card (haven't for several years now) the information is held centrally
Website
dsharples   
Thu Dec 26 2013, 03:25pm
Member No: #119
Thank you all, and Trainman for your kind offer of assistance.

The Good News is that "hunt the key" yielded my key. It had fallen out of my pocket in my fathers car, which had also been left at Brothers after Xmas festivities - following my dad and I relaying everyone up there. So relief all round. The locked car couldn't be seen into last night.

In 22 years of driving up and down the country I've never had this happen!

But a useful lesson for all of us. And yes, my wife does normally carry the spare for extended trips, but couldn't find it before we left.

One again, thank you all.
C6Dave   
Thu Dec 26 2013, 03:39pm

Few, panic over. Have a Happy New Year
Website
jacktherev   
Thu Dec 26 2013, 04:24pm
Member No: #1423
Fantastic news now everyone can relax and continue to enjoy the festivities. Happy New Year!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club