C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Should I buy a C6?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Dan595   
Tue Dec 16 2014, 12:03pm
Member No: #299
2.2 manual. Just approaching 145,000 miles. 720 miles is 45mpg. I have managed 50mpg on a tankful before but I've been moving a lot of furniture lately (roofrack etc.).

You'll see my car in Car Mechanics.
drummond   
Wed Dec 17 2014, 08:11am
Member No: #238
Dan, and others- I can't get my 2.2auto to do more than 500 miles/tank, even on super diesel. Most of the time it's on the motorway at 70mph.
speedfix   
Wed Dec 17 2014, 08:55am
Member No: #1043
My 2.2 manual is showing 37mpg could get more but am a spirited driver.
Far cheaper road fund than the 2.7 but no amvar fitted on the 2.2.

The C6 2.2 and 3.0 hdi IMO are one of the best cars so far that I own.
Would I buy another yes but only for spares if the replacement parts dry up.
BruceB   
Wed Dec 17 2014, 09:52am
Member No: #234
drummond wrote ...
Dan, and others- I can't get my 2.2auto to do more than 500 miles/tank, even on super diesel. Most of the time it's on the motorway at 70mph.
I am astounded by that figure. I regularly get well over 500 miles of mixed driving from a tankful of standard diesel, with the larger engine. Motorway driving is substantially better again.
mebedforduk   
Mon May 18 2015, 07:45pm
Member No: #1780
So I dithered about the 2.2 man only 30 miles away. Dithered some more and said No!

Then parked next to a 6 in Morrisons car park, had a natter with the guy, even the Missis nodded approval.

Straight on the net and it had just gone.

Ho hum - taken my 5 years to get there and miss it by a few hours.
magicands   
Tue May 19 2015, 10:12am
Member No: #1021
There are those on this forum who do not like what I say sometimes, maybe they have Citroen Blood, perhaps they look at their car through Rose coloured glasses, I do not know.

What I do know is that I would advise against buying a C6, they look fab, turn heads and you will not find too many of them on the road (broke down that's why) as there are only 900 or so in the Uk.

Speaking only from my own personal point of view and others will disagree when talking about their experiences but my C6 is a F**!!=g pain in the a**e

I have had numerous failures caused by general wear and tear but also those caused by Garages who do not know what they are doing when they see this car.

I also include Citroen Dealers in that statement. I have owned my 6 since Sept 2012 and if I don't include Tax, insurance and the price of an MOT I have spent (or will have at the end of today) nearly £3k on parts and labour charges, probably half the value of the car itself.

So, lets re visit that £3k, it works out at £93.75 per month of ownership..........NOT GOOD AT ALL!!
Website
C6Dave   
Tue May 19 2015, 10:30am

Member No: #1
magicands wrote ...
So, lets re visit that £3k, it works out at £93.75 per month of ownership..........NOT GOOD AT ALL!!

Well of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I spent very little on my 2 C6's apart from wear and tear items like tyres and servicing. Outside that I had to replace a failed heater motor and that came in at circa £350 so I'm more than happy with the running costs of both.

Buy a used car not knowing how it's been treated previously (especially one from a 'trader')and you can get a good one, or a bad one and that applies to any make.

The C6 is a complex beast but still costs less for parts and labour than the likes of BMW or Mercedes which it was pitched against.

You feel you have spent a lot of money on the C6, have it hopefully all sorted but you posted that your going to sell it and move on. That doesn't seem to make a lot of financial sense to me but, if your not happy, good luck with whatever you move onto.

BTW to put things into perspective, in the last 3 years I have spent far more on parts etc. for my Traction Avant and D Super individually, than you have on your C6 and that's with using most of my own labour.

Website
drummond   
Tue May 19 2015, 08:59pm
Member No: #238
I've had mine for 4 years, I bought it at 2 years old and 20000 miles. It's now done 67000 miles. I, personally, have spent very little on it, but it's had a respray on all four doors and will now have a new bonnet. Servicing has cost nothing, but thanks go to my expert, Ray at Forge Motors.

I still have a Citroen warranty and also I have the corrosion check every 3 years.

I have to say that I'm impressed with the car, but it's a Citroen, so I'm not going to get too gooey- and I've just spent £4000 on the DS....
magicands   
Tue May 19 2015, 11:43pm
I will add that my 6 was a one owner full service history 40,000 mile car from a dealer.
I will also add that the first owner had a truck load of problems with it and also spent a considerable amount.
He gave up and got rid of it when his rear abs sensor failed. I know this as I have the Citroen tech report quoting him £600 for the part and Labour.
As he had less than a month before shelled out £800 he simply got rid and that's whe're I came in. Unaware of this until I looked through all the paperwork after purchase. I would also add with regard to Merc and BMW pricing that you can't get much more expensive than a pump for a C5/6 that costs £1,135.00, I also understand that headlights complete are about £1000 so it doesn't take much for. a C6 to become an insurance write off.
Website
mebedforduk   
Wed May 20 2015, 07:42am
Member No: #1780
Thank you Dave, Drum, Magic.

As before I went against sensible when buying XMs - I appreciate that they are not the same car but the same principle could apply.

At the time you could pick up a very nice 2.1 or 2.5 Excl with all the toys for around a grand and if it really turned out to be a dog a partial strip on the drive and ebaying the bits and you have your money back. They really were the sum of the parts is greater than the whole type car.

Now a C6 from what I can establish is not a sensible head car:
It can go wrong some obviously more than others
Fuel for me will be at least £1000 more a year - 2.2 more palatable
Tax a few hundred more a year
DIY repairs not so easy but still possible
Too expensive to keep / justify as a Sunday car
Oh and the dog will have to go in the X type

On the plus side
With 3 Kids through Uni and only 2 left to go we know our expenditure in the coming years
You only live once - Back on ebay it can always go
If we buy a dog a lose well ho hum it wont break us

Erm erm erm

I don't NEED a C6 I Want a C6. I don't NEED lots of things but I still buy them

321dave   
Wed May 20 2015, 07:47am
Member No: #614
magicands wrote ...

I will add that my 6 was a one owner full service history 40,000 mile car from a dealer.
I will also add that the first owner had a truck load of problems with it and also spent a considerable amount.
He gave up and got rid of it when his rear abs sensor failed. I know this as I have the Citroen tech report quoting him £600 for the part and Labour.
As he had less than a month before shelled out £800 he simply got rid and that's whe're I came in. Unaware of this until I looked through all the paperwork after purchase. I would also add with regard to Merc and BMW pricing that you can't get much more expensive than a pump for a C5/6 that costs £1,135.00, I also understand that headlights complete are about £1000 so it doesn't take much for. a C6 to become an insurance write off.

Morning Magicands,
I'm getting a price of €837 for the Hydraulic suspension pump from France and €16 to deliver to your door. Is that the price from your local Citroen dealers service department? I will check my own Citroen dealer here in Dublin for a price this morning as well. That quote you received seems very expensive for the Pump in question!

kind regards
321dave
gmerry   
Wed May 20 2015, 02:16pm
Member No: #21
Hi Mebedforduk (bit of a mouthfall that one).

There are several forum members here that indulge in a bit of DIY and generally find the C6 a very willing beast. Certainly laden with 4 or 5 passengers it makes such a comfortable journey cruncher (around town its a bit pointless).

If you think you fall into that category, together with the help of this excellent forum (thanks Dave for all the effort you put into it) I think you will find C6 ownership an agreeable and not too costly experience.

I'm now in my 6th year of ownership, this has been the case so far for me.

Regards
G
magicands   
Wed May 20 2015, 05:28pm
321dave wrote ...

magicands wrote ...

Morning Magicands,
I'm getting a price of €837 for the Hydraulic suspension pump from France and €16 to deliver to your door. Is that the price from your local Citroen dealers service department? I will check my own Citroen dealer here in Dublin for a price this morning as well. That quote you received seems very expensive for the Pump in question!

kind regards
321dave

That was the price quoted from Citroen that included a 12% discount so you tell me?
Website
321dave   
Wed May 20 2015, 06:30pm
Member No: #614
magicands wrote ...

That was the price quoted from Citroen that included a 12% discount so you tell me?

Hi Magicands,
might be time to look around for a another garage or a good (local) Citroen mechanic that know's the cars.

Kind regards
321dave
cruiserphil   
Thu May 21 2015, 01:47pm

Member No: #38
MBUK (for short)
I have to say I have found working on C6 a much more pleasant experience than BX, Xantia and XM,

Best regards,

Phil C.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club