Member No: #21
C5s and LHM?

Are ALL C5s not LDS?

regards
G
Trainman   
Wed Nov 26 2014, 12:17pm

Member No: #86
I thought the series one was LHM but I stand corrected.....
mebedforduk   
Thu Nov 27 2014, 07:46pm
Member No: #1780
Thanks for the help guys

I think I knew really what the sensible answer was but just needed to be nudged in the right direction.

Im in no hurry so will probably keep my eye out for a decent C5 exclusive as the token Cit and then look for another plaything like a DS - Just don't tell the Mrs
C6Dave   
Fri Nov 28 2014, 09:20am

Member No: #1
Or buy a C6 with known history from a site member. I would avoid anything from a non Citroen dealer.

Same applies to a C5 really as they can have problems as well.
Website
Tjensen   
Fri Nov 28 2014, 11:23am
Member No: #954
The C5 started a new hydraulic regime: Only the suspension under the hydraulic system, electrical pump, no pressure reserve system, grey saucer spheres, no warning of low fluid level and LDS-type fluid. Braking classical with separate system, Steering classical(?), but uses the LDS from the same tank.

Am I right ?
gmerry   
Fri Nov 28 2014, 02:55pm
Member No: #21
Hi all, I've just pased 60 months of ownership. Changed two light bulbs, quite a lot of tyres and brake disks but I consider these as consumables.

Suspension wise I've replaced 2 off FRIPs, two off wishbone bushes, two rear antirollbar links. I've also replaced 5 spheres and one front suspension pipe (factory forgot to plate that one so rusted badly).
The Citroen dealer had to sort a leaky high pressure suspension pipe and two parking sensors, plus a jammed SIM card in the phone.
Other items were one new undertray plus a battery (again another consumable).

Depreciation cost per month has been £200, much cheaper than any lease.

Overall its been a goodun, perhaps now moving to more challenging ownership.
e3steve   
Fri Nov 28 2014, 04:51pm
Member No: #1163
Tjensen wrote ...

The C5 started a new hydralic regime: Only the suspension, electrical pump, no pressure reserve system (?), no warning of low level and LDS. Braking classical with separate system, grey saucer spheres, Steering classical(?), but uses the LDS from the same tank.

Am I right ?
My 2006 C5 1.6HDi was just that.
M21   
Fri Nov 28 2014, 05:43pm
Member No: #871
I may be wrong, but isn't more expensive to buy a C5? Higher end C5 aren't (at least) as much expensive to run than the C6?

For instance, I find my 2.2l manual gear box cheaper to run that my old petrol Volvo S40 (except for the tires...).

Well, whatever your decision don't give up from the DS.

Cheers.
Jodyone   
Fri Nov 28 2014, 09:32pm
Member No: #1240
gmerry wrote ...

Overall its been a goodun, perhaps now moving to more challenging ownership.

Do you mean that you think your C6 is going to become more challenging to own, or that you're moving on to something else more challenging? If so, what are you thinking of..?
Rog   
Thu Dec 04 2014, 01:52am
C6Dave wrote ...

Or buy a C6 with known history from a site member. I would avoid anything from a non Citroen dealer.

Same applies to a C5 really as they can have problems as well.

You could have mine at a virtual steal in comparison to some of the prices out there! It has had a lot of the 'weak' spots done recently, unfortunately now it's all done I am forced to sell

PM me if you want to chat about it.

Rog
mebedforduk   
Thu Dec 11 2014, 07:55pm
Well Thanks guys and thank you for your offer Rog.

Ive realized that when I was getting excited about the acceptable looking MPG it was the the 2.2man of which there are few and far between with full spec.

So as before, C5 & DS hunting I will ago, but if a (very cheap) orphan C6 appeared in my drive I would still give it a home. Although considering I would clock 100K in 3 ish years I wonder if an average 100k on the clock C6 could last out another 3 years.

Cheers
dsharples   
Thu Dec 11 2014, 08:40pm
Member No: #119
What MPG are you looking for, and what's your commute? The 2.7Hdi will return a not too unreasonable 35-38 mpg if driven sensibly on cross-country runs. There are those on here who drive "well within" the legal limits who will claim low 40s... and those what will claim low 30s when pushing across Europe...
I don't think these figures are too bad for a NCAP-5-star 2 tonne luxury cruiser, whose engine-tech is now at least 10 years old.

I've had brand new very clever 4-pot diesel-hybrids only achieve early-40s in a similar weight/size car when driven "normally".... despite the manufacturer claims of 60-70...
mebedforduk   
Thu Dec 11 2014, 09:22pm
Hi Dave

Twice a week Eye via A140 ( groan) A14, A12 to Tiptree and back = 110 miles

Rest of the time, anything from 15 - 100 miles per day but our neck of the woods so lots of twisty country roads.

I was hoping around the 40 mark, as although its a big drop from the current A6 I know what you mean about the new breed of super MPG fantasy figures.

The current 1999 A6 1.9tdi non common rail running on Veg oil and turbo cleaned with a monthly squirt of Mr muscle returns 50 MPG regardless of how I drive it. The X type low to high 50s but the slightest leak on the turbo pipe drops this to 30s. Both cars have blanked egrs which make a huge difference.

It seems that as more "progress" is made with cars the less you can believe what figures they publish

KR

Dan595   
Fri Dec 12 2014, 04:11pm
Member No: #299
There will be a buyer's guide to the C6 in Car Mechanics magazine, January issue (out December 18th).

Buy one with a full service history, including brake fluid and coolant changes. There is simply no excuse for a car like this not to have one, particularly as servicing and fixed maintenance costs are so small for a car of this size.

Made a bit of an error last Sunday and left it a bit late to refuel - mileage was 740 before I found an open petrol station.

I reckon my depreciation runs at £160/month or 12 pence per mile. Not so bad. In fact the pence per mile is lower than what my GSA cost.
mebedforduk   
Sat Dec 13 2014, 09:14am
Thanks Dan

SWIMBO bought me a subscription to CM last year and its just run out, so cheers for the heads up
Is it fate? They ran a similar on a XM and had one as a project car many moons ago. Guess what I went out and bought to replace a BX.

740Miles is good, even without the tank dregs I make that mid 40sMPG. 2.2 or 2.7?

Cheers
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club