C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Should I buy a C6?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
mebedforduk   
Mon Nov 24 2014, 12:01pm
Member No: #1780

Having jumped ship from XMs several years ago Im temped to return to the fold with a 2.2 C6 that is up at Wolsey House near me.

Just a bit twitchy about what Im letting myself into. Ive got used to a pair of A6s that have only needed minor driveway maintenance in 200K of miles. The wife has a Jag Xtype which is Ok but plastic. Its the 2.0 but it shares the same problems as the 2.2 which is also fitted in the 2.2 C6

Economy will hurt as Im used to 50MPG running on Veg oil @ £0.60 a litre but its messy and I fancy a change from the 15 year old tractor like A6. Trouble is I cover 25-30K miles a year at least so......

Any advice other than walk away and keep my cash in my wallet. hang on! that's what people said about XMs and I had 8 of those.

Cheers

mark
gmerry   
Mon Nov 24 2014, 03:32pm
Member No: #21
Why not buy a newer A6, as you have had good experience with them?

Regards
G
mebedforduk   
Mon Nov 24 2014, 03:45pm
Swimbo has been looking a another A6 but for the same age and spec you are looking at twice the price.

Besides I like Citroens, just because Ive had a good experience with these two does not mean that Ive enjoyed it.

Funny that really, sensible head says "German, cheap to run and repair" but in reality any VAG car made after 2005 is no longer DIY for anything other than the basics. Oil pump failure on the 2.0d A6 lump is £2800 so it make those complicated Citroens looks cheap by comparison.

Audis are hard, rigid and erm well boring. Yes they might go on for miles but after a while you can get fed up with losing your fillings over the potholes.

Perhaps your advice is a polite way of saying keep your money in your wallet and buy a Golf?

KR

drummond   
Mon Nov 24 2014, 09:49pm
Member No: #238
I have a 2.2 Exclusive for sale, 60500 miles, 2009/58. Black, cream interior. It's recently been serviced, and I have all the receipts, as well.

Despite all the problems, mine has been reliable to a fault- two very small faults, and the aircon radiator was holed and replaced.

I'm looking for £6850.

Tim
gmerry   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 09:20am
The fact that died-in-the-wool Citroenistas are getting out of C6 ownership, from cars that are "only" 5 years old does suggest that are not a low cost long term ownership proposition.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 10:44am

Member No: #1
gmerry wrote ...

The fact that died-in-the-wool Citroenistas are getting out of C6 ownership, from cars that are "only" 5 years old does suggest that are not a low cost long term ownership proposition.

Regards
G

G, I sold my 5 year old 3.0 HDi and bought a 40 year old D Super to run alongside my 62 year old Traction Avant.....

What does that make me

Website
Tjensen   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 11:23am
Member No: #954
This is a bit like the XM. Not a huge market sucess. Rumours (true and false)about problems and cost. Many enthusiasts going back to their DSs. Low cost as used car. And then: the car is robust and possible to maintain after all, runs for 300-400 000km and gets at least 20 years old in daily use.

But of course even XM is complicated and Citroen abandon delivering parts, and the C6 is more rare, much more complicated and much more a real Citroen Classic in the DS SM CX tradition. I am very happy with quality and reliability , having just as much car-problems as I choose to have. (But they could have remembered coolant-warning light )
gmerry   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 11:27am
Hi Dave, with two classics, one of which has proper spheres and real green fluid (non of this saucer nonsence), does this not make you a Citroenista.

Regards
G
M21   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 12:11pm
Member No: #871
Hi,

My opinion is buy it if you intend to keep it for a long period of time.

Let's face it, if you really like the C6 all the possible problems will be taken easily. If you don't love it, any minor fault will be a catastrophe!

I really love mine and it has proven to be tough enough in the last couple of years.

If you intend to go non-german, and you're not sure about the C6 why not a Volvo? The S80 is a beauty...
gmerry   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 12:18pm
Hi all, a very large % of C6 parts are PSA (407 and C5) parts bin plus a lot of stuff from Jaguar/Landrover.

In 10 years time the 407 will be dead and buried, long forgotten, so that is when spares availability could really bite. Traditionally folks have run Jaguars and especially Landrovers for much longer so there is a bit of hope there: we shall see.

Regards
G
Tjensen   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 02:35pm
Member No: #954
M21 has a good point: A car will last as long as someone love it... All the commom parts with other models and all the good computer resorces for searching should make most problems solvable. (should we make a list of "C6 unique parts" and have sources published so we can prepare...?)
e3steve   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 02:53pm
Member No: #1163
gmerry wrote ...

Hi all, a very large % of C6 parts are PSA (407 and C5) parts bin plus a lot of stuff from Jaguar/Landrover.

In 10 years time the 407 will be dead and buried, long forgotten, so that is when spares availability could really bite. Traditionally folks have run Jaguars and especially Landrovers for much longer so there is a bit of hope there: we shall see.

Regards
G
I heartily agree with the bit about the 407. The C6 is a future classic, in the truest sense!
mebedforduk   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 10:02pm
Its a very difficult choice to make.
It really is a heart and head.

We can buy a commercial Land Rover discovery through our company and lose the purchase, the repair costs, fuel and VAT. Company "van" tax amounts to £600 a year and if anything goes wrong, again it comes out of the companies pocket.

The Jag is a ford in a dress albeit quite a nice dress that does high 50s MPG and has all the toys even if it does feel like a plastic throw away car.

I have two wheels when I want a fast buzz and a little classic or two up the farm albeit resting at the moment.

The trouble is I like Citroens and hanker after the ride and quirky feel. Perhaps a C5 exclusive estate would be the better option as it still has a bit of LHM running through it....

Perhaps Ive touched on the same vein of most Citroen fans. We know the true blood big LHM Cits have gone for good and the C6 represents the name and essence but not quite the trusted old friend we want it to be.

Buy a disco or C5 for work and a DS as a play thing?

e3steve   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 10:21pm
Member No: #1163
mebedforduk wrote ...
Buy a disco or C5 for work and a DS as a play thing?
That would make economic sense as a C6 is no cheap runabout. The C5 is an excellent motor and a DS would only increase in value, I'm sure!
Trainman   
Wed Nov 26 2014, 01:56am

Member No: #86
Plus depending on the age of the C5 it may have LDS opposed to LHM.....
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club