C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Alternator belt squeak

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
c6kev   
Sat Jan 03 2015, 05:51pm
Member No: #1508
I got the dreaded "Battery charge faulty" message on Boxing Day. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread for making it (relatively) straightforward to fix. A couple of extra points to help future sufferers of this fault.

1. If removing the pulley with the alternator in situ, it helps to understand what is unscrewing from what. The pulley screws on to the alternator shaft with a conventional right hand thread.

The Sealey SX400 tool comprises two halves. The splined outer tool engages in the pulley and therefore needs to be rotated anticlockwise to remove the pulley. The Torx inner section holds the alternator shaft and therefore needs to be turned/held clockwise.

As the pulley unwinds from the shaft, it gradually pushes the short torx driver outwards until it eventually disengages from the shaft. If you have space, one of the longer torx drivers will allow you to lock the shaft again.

If not, a screwdriver against the alternator cooling fan will probably be quite adequate to lock the shaft after breaking the initial torque.

2. It is well worth the extra time to separate the boost air hose from the butterfly housing at the top as well as from the inter-cooler at the bottom. The extra manoeuvrability makes the rest of the job much less difficult.
nouveaucitroenist   
Sun Oct 11 2015, 09:33am
Member No: #2222
thanks to all who have contributed this thread and provided information about the alternator and clutch on the forum. I had the same symptoms and problem, followed the invaluable guidance here and successfully orderd the part, the sealy tool and changed it with minimal hassle.

If anybody needs to borrow an sealey alternator pulley remover, get in touch. I'm in Sussex.
furriegurrie   
Wed Mar 02 2016, 07:57pm
Member No: #2448
Yesterday I replaced my altenator clutch and the belt on my C6 as I too had the crickets sound. I was able to borrow the required tool from my local alternator overhaul company who also sourced the replacement pulley.

Thanks guys for posting this info on this forum. Now I was able to replace a part that was definately on it's way out before it caused an actual issue!
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club