Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

C6 Height Adjustable Suspension and Snow

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 11:35am
Member No: #21
I'm finding the height adjustable suspension really useful in dealing with the piles of snow littering side streets of Aberdeen and many of the parking spaces.

Driving down roads with raised snow in the middle, the extra ground clearance with the suspension in the middle setting is really useful. The 25mph restriction is probably no bad thing in conditions like this!

Regards
G
michaelb   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 12:11pm
Member No: #14
Yes, last winter in the Alps I used it regularly for this reason. Just for getting over the ruts on the lane-way to our building was a God's send.

When I bought the car I thought the adjustable height suspension would be a bit of a novelty, something to play with once in the pub car park, but I'm continuously surprised at how often it has proved really useful.
C6Dave   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 03:01pm

Member No: #1
I agree, very useful when other cars are 'bottoming' and losing traction, the C6 can rise above it.

Off Topic: However for the last 3 days it's been left on the drive in favour of my wife's C-Crosser which is amazingly sure footed in 4wd, even with the all purpose Michelins.

I convinced her to trade the Pug 207cc as it was lethal in snow and ice, with next to zero grip and poor ground clearance.

Given the cars higher stance and grip, she absolutely loves it.

Just to confirm it has 16" wheels, which whilst they look small, give lot's of tyre side-wall and so a surprisingly smooth and quiet ride, so I now understand where you guys are coming from with the C6 on 18" tyres.
Website
michaelb   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 03:37pm
Member No: #14
C6Dave wrote ...
I now understand where you guys are coming from with the C6 on 18" tyres.

I had my 17"s fitted this morning and in the barely two miles driving home I could hear an improvement. I'm looking forward to a couple of thousand kms over the Christmas.

Put winter tyres on that 4WD motor and you'll go anywhere
gmerry   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 04:41pm
Dave, I'm off topic here and probably off limits too!. The C- Crosser is known by Citroen sales as the Cross Dresser because its really a Mitsubishi. Do you have any plans to start a C- Cross dot owners org dot org website?

In fairness, PSA do spec their own "superior" diesel and the trim/dash is arguably nicer than the Mitsubishi plastics.

I used to be a Mitsubishi fan but really find that they have lost their way in the engineering of some of the lastest products. Also the price of the parts makes ownership of middle-aged to elderly cars pretty challenging. I remember having to pay £350 for an ABS sensor/loom.

Get those winter tyres on in any case. I've just convinced by father in law (after 50 years of motoring without) and he is so pleased to be mobile again.
Regards
G
C6Dave   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 07:51pm

No your not 'off limits', I'm not into running another site. There aren't enough hours in the day that I want to spend any more of it online

I knew it was a Mitsubishi in disguise before I even looked at it, but it's (I think) the same Citroen 2.2 HDi that's in some of the C6's and for the money used, was a good deal compared to anything else similar out there (just like the C6)

Yes the dash is a bit 'plastic', but is no worse than that of a modern Ford/Vauxhall/VW and at 2 years old, doesn't rattle or squeak like my sons 'Touran'

I'm not the main user anyway, my wife is and she loves it, so I can live with it

Parts, well eBay is awash with them for the C-Crosser at some very good prices as it's far more common in all guises as a C-Crosser, Pug 4007 and Mitshubisi Outlander plus, the car is an 08, has a 12 month Citroen warranty until December 2011

I have a 30 day money back guarantee as well from Citroen so if the snow and ice go away, well, I could always take it back and reject it
Website
gmerry   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 08:17pm
Dave, yes I'm pretty sure its the "car" 2.2 diesel as opposed to the "commericial" 2.2. A good match to a vehicle like the C Crosser.

I suspect that these cars are the dealer principal's choice at the moment. A bit like C6s were 2 -3 years ago. All supported by the factory of course. That means there should be a steady supply of low mileage mint condition vehicles coming on o the market.

Compared to the Mitsubishi, it's a little prettier too!

How is the soft roading 4WD system. Any tricky diffs or does it depend on the ABS system to artificially brake a wheel without traction?

RegardsG
gmerry   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:17pm
A bit of topic again.... (groan).

To keep the inside dry from all that snow that sticks to one's boots, place a thick wad of newspaper on the floor and under the pedals. Before parking up for the night (and plugging in the sump heater) throw the old wet paper in the bin and replace with new and dry. Financial Times is printed on really good newsprint and doesn't breakup. Some might find some small satisfaction in stomping on some banker's image!

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Thu Dec 09 2010, 07:48am

gmerry wrote ...

.........I suspect that these cars are the dealer principal's choice at the moment. A bit like C6s were 2 -3 years ago. All supported by the factory of course. That means there should be a steady supply of low mileage mint condition vehicles coming on o the market.

Compared to the Mitsubishi, it's a little prettier too!

How is the soft roading 4WD system. Any tricky diffs or does it depend on the ABS system to artificially brake a wheel without traction?

RegardsG

Yes there's a whole batch of 2 year old (mainly VTR+ but a few Exclusives just hitting the dealer forecourts) at a time when people are looking for 4X4's Ours had 14,500 on the clock, some have 34,000 (we had a choice of 2 when another 3 arrived on a transporter)

As far as I know, it's a true 4X4 with a transfer box and some fancy electronics in 4wd 'Auto' mode

The vehicle operates with four wheel drive and provides optimum traction regardless of the level of grip.

This is the vehicle’s normal and regular operating mode, the distribution of the torque between the front and rear axles is controlled automatically.

The distribution favours the front wheels, the transfer of torque to the rear wheels is managed electronically by the control unit in relation to the level of grip, so guaranteeing optimum road holding.

You can also 'lock' it in 4wd or select 2wd if the road is clear and dry whilst moving as long as your doing less than 60 mph

Even though you can 'select' 2wd, you can't tow the car if it breaks down, it has to be recovered on a flat bed or trailer because of possible damage to the transmission

I tried hard to see if I could get wheel spin on hard compacted snow yesterday, but couldn't, the car just leaped forward!
Website
tonyrome   
Thu Dec 09 2010, 11:20am
Member No: #15
I'm not a fan of traditional 4x4s (or Chelsea Tractors) but I do like the idea of an executive saloon with four-wheel drive. The C6 would be excellent with 4wd plus the height-adjustable suspension! It's a pity that saloon 4x4s are so rare. Only Audi uses them extensively in their range, most of the other manufacturers either don't offer them or only on selected models, which are inevitably rare to find secondhand. The Phaeton W12 and Superb 3.6 V6 are two non-Audi options I've considered.
gmerry   
Thu Dec 09 2010, 12:40pm
Or top of the line Subaru?

Regards
G
pclark   
Thu Dec 09 2010, 01:21pm
Member No: #3
I don't think Subaru offer the Legacy Saloon in the UK anymore, just the estate. The 'Outback' version (a 'raised' suspension estate car) is available with a 3.6 litre (petrol) flat six!
There's also the Infiniti range - they do a 4WD saloon.
pclark   
Thu Dec 09 2010, 01:27pm
Member No: #3
i was going to add in my last post, having seen the ice/snow performance of some 4x4's recently I would rather drive my C6 with it's winter tyres and adjustable suspension. Nothing in the last 2 weeks has caused any mobility problems and we,ve had quite a lot of snow in North Yorks. The biggest problems in the snow and ice are timid drivers going far too slowly and causing queues!
tonyrome   
Thu Dec 09 2010, 09:33pm
Member No: #15
pclark wrote ...
i was going to add in my last post, having seen the ice/snow performance of some 4x4's recently I would rather drive my C6 with it's winter tyres.

But it's not the 4x4's performance, it's the fact that they're not using the correct tyres. It's the point I've been trying to make to non-believers on the forum! Winter tyres are definitely worthwhile but winter tyres plus 4wd are better than winter tyres with 2wd. Whereas, standard tyres in the current conditions are cr@p, no matter what you're using them on .
C6Dave   
Thu Dec 09 2010, 11:13pm

My C6 on Falkens (summer tyres) in snow mode never got stuck and isn't cr@p compared to many other cars I have owned/driven but that doesn't mean I'm not a believer.

No doubt it could be improved further with winter tyres but I had a decision to make.

My wife won't drive the C6 as she says 'it's to big' and she needs to get around to look after the grand kids so a 4X4 was, for her, the answer, but which one.

Whilst the Crosser is only about a foot shorter than the C6 it does feel smaller and for her, easier to drive as you can see all 4 corners from the driving seat and has specially developed Michelin's fitted. I can't disagree with her after driving both this week, but I still much prefer the C6

We still have snow here but the forecast is 8c+ by the weekend and as I have said in another thread, we tend to have reasonably mild winters, not the long spells of winter suffered in other areas/in Europe so winter tyres are on the back burner. I'll just drive to the prevailing conditions, or stay at home if it get's bad again.

So can we get back on the topic G started about the C6 suspension
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club