Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

C6 fuel economy League Table!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
tonyrome   
Tue Aug 17 2010, 08:33am
Member No: #15
As detailed here - Click Here - and here - Click Here -, the fuel economy of my C6 2.7 HDI seems to be improving with age. See if you can beat this (below), over a sensible distance (we can all claim 99.9mpg on a downhill section of road for a brief few kms!). Note: the air conditioning was on, as was the stereo.

In theory, the 2.2 manual should be the most economical, followed by the new 3 litre diesel but the bulk of owners have the 2.7HDI and comparing those would be interesting.

gmerry   
Tue Aug 17 2010, 09:21am
Member No: #21
Tony, the average speed for your 115 mile journey was a high 58mph. I find that most of my trips have a high proportion of urban mileage which brings the average speed down a lot. Even when in France and taking advantage of their 130 km/hour legal limit, the A route components plus urban trips got my average speed down to only about 40 mph. What I do find overall, is that the 2.7 C6 only gets good consumption figures at over 60 mph. Any slower, no matter how I manage the right foot, the consumption is much higher. I suspect the Cd is pretty good. For example compared to the various Jaguar applications with the same engine, top speed is higher for the C6.

No I can't beat your figures with about 18,500 miles so far (still running in?)

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Tue Aug 17 2010, 10:55am

Member No: #1
I can't get anywhere near that either and I'm just over the 17,000 mile mark as well, similar to gmerry
Website
michaelb   
Tue Aug 17 2010, 10:57am
Member No: #14
Impressive.

My figures seem to be getting better too. I don't know whether it's a combination of the cars needing to be more run-in or us learning to drive them better.

Alternatively, in my case, I think I drive it not just better but with more of an eye on economy than I did in previous cars. In my Alfas I knew high fuel bills were part of the owner experience and I never consciously tried for economy - I just drove them, often quite hard because the engines sound glorious at 7,000 rpm. With the C6 I do find myself aiming for economy.

I sat down and worked out that my recent 3,000 kms jaunt around France cost me EUR €200 less in the C6 than putting petrol in the Alfa would have been. Extrapolated over typical annual motoring that's a ~€1,000 saving. Goes some way to ameliorating the VED payment I made yesterday.

Ped   
Tue Aug 17 2010, 11:17am
Member No: #82
Well mine has done 55,000 and I get around 32MPG pretty much every time, though my average sped is usually around 25mph!
Leo   
Tue Aug 17 2010, 12:56pm
Member No: #94
Hi all

My current average over mixed driving 5000 miles and avg speed 25mph is 33mpg.

My best on a run of circa 400 miles with an average speed of 50mph plus (with my wife and two kids aboard and full boot, aircon on) was 43mpg. I find that economy increases with prolonged use of 6th gear. The autobox seems to change up to 6th pretty much always around 57 mph. I sometimes change up manually at around 50mph or so if the engine is under a light load and use the selector to hold onto 6th as long as possible - this seems to improve economy, but I really doubt whether I will ever equal 48mpg.

Leo
Dave Mc   
Tue Aug 17 2010, 02:26pm
Member No: #64
When I change into 6th at 50mph the auto box makes a whirring noise until it gets upto 55+
Leo   
Tue Aug 17 2010, 02:44pm
Hi Dave Mc

I have not noticed the whirring noise on mine - I only make the manual change up if the engine is under light load (level road, light accelerator pressure etc.) and the system will change down again anyway by itself if one strays outside acceptable operating parameters. To my mind, a powerful 2.7 diesel under lightish load should be well able to pull from 1400 rpm or so without difficulty. My old Toyota Land Cruiser would soldier on in top gear at low revs without any problems and it certainly helped economy. It used to frustrate me when I first drove the Citroen that it seemed to hang onto the gears for too long before changing up, but the gearbox seems to have adapted now to my driving style.

Leo
Rileycat   
Wed Aug 18 2010, 07:34pm
Member No: #69
Interested to read the different figures for fuel consumption. I've just returned from a round trip from Stranraer to the Lake District (with a lot of driving on twisty narrow roads and steep hills) then on to Ashbourne in the Peak District via Motorways until the satnav deposited me in a horrendous gridlocked Stockport. More twisty and hilly roads in the Peak District then back to Stranraer mostly on Motorways and A roads.

Result 741 miles at 36.7mpg and average 34mph.

Interestingly the first owner of my C6 had set one of the trips going right from new, and it now reads 5289 miles at 28.9mpg and average speed 26mph.

By the way I never saw another C6 the whole six days I was on mainland UK. I called at one Citroen agent i happened to pass to ask a second opinion on my dim Navidrive display screen, almost invisible in bright daylight. The service receptionist had never seen a C6 before! He was very impressed but couldn't offer an opinion on the screen.

Rileycat
Chevrons   
Fri Aug 20 2010, 03:03pm
Member No: #85
I live by the motto so often drawn up for me by my schoolteachers in reports:

Ian must try harder.
Leo   
Fri Aug 20 2010, 03:20pm
Ian

Don't be so hard on youself - the answer is the low average speed - I suspect you do a fair amount of urban driving and the c6 is never going to produce great economy figures in that environment.

Leo.
michaelb   
Fri Aug 20 2010, 05:08pm
Member No: #14
Drive it as if you stole it
Chevrons   
Fri Aug 20 2010, 09:38pm
Member No: #85
Leo wrote ...

Ian

Don't be so hard on youself - the answer is the low average speed - I suspect you do a fair amount of urban driving and the c6 is never going to produce great economy figures in that environment.

Leo.

Leo,

I travel the length and breadth of Britain with the spoiler fully extended.
I've had it since 16 April, and done 10,000miles in that time, furthest north-east it's been is Edinburgh, furthest south-west is Falmouth.

I believe 32 MPH is a high average speed over 6000miles - and down goes the gauntlet - unless someone proves me wrong...

C6Dave   
Fri Aug 20 2010, 10:18pm

Member No: #1
I wasn't sure about that, but I do a lot of driving with the spoiler deployed (the C6 was built for it) but my last 6,215 miles were done at an average ---- 32 mph

I've done a 300 mile motorway bash with an average speed of 67 mph before, but once you add in urban driving it really does ring the average down fast.
Website
Leo   
Sat Aug 21 2010, 09:28am
Thats exactly my point Dave - once you do any amount of urban driving the average speed and the economy figures tumble - I would be fairly sure that if we all went about at a steady 57 mph in sixth gear we could all do a lot better - I still think 48.8 mpg is a great result.

Leo
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club