C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

ABS and handbrake warnings come and go

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ecksem   
Fri Jun 26 2015, 04:15pm
Member No: #626
On holiday abroad, after a long hot descent and overnight stop, 'ABS system fault' and 'handbrake fault' warnings came on. Car seemed to drive OK and after a couple more journeys the warnings did not reappear. Then a spell of thundery weather seemed to set them off again, and again after a couple of days they went to sleep once more. I've come to the conclusion the computer is ultra sensitive and there's no fault in the car. Is this a common occurrence?
Bob Vickery, Dawlish, Devon
JPV   
Fri Jun 26 2015, 05:14pm
Member No: #606
Its a sign that the sensors and /or wiring harness at the back are faulty. Unfortunately this requires dropping the fuel tank to replace them so it's not cheap! Make sure you replace both sides whilst having it done. In 4 years and 20,000 miles we have had this done twice. Interestingly whilst the warnings are in place on our car both the ABS and Handbrake still worked! The warning means no new MOT
Dan595   
Fri Jun 26 2015, 06:04pm
Member No: #299
I think that this is quite common, and I'm guessing that as well as the ABS and handbrake faulty warnings, you also had 'ESP/ASR faulty' messages. I've had warnings like this, approximately every two months or so, for at least the last 100,000 miles.

This is probably a red herring but from my experience the warnings are more likely to occur following major adjustment of the drivers seat (eg. to clean under it) or when starting and immediately reversing on full steering lock. I have in the past pushed on the wiring loom underneath the seat and the warnings have gone away ... may be coincidental.
JimC   
Fri Jun 26 2015, 06:21pm
Member No: #229
Each time I've had this (at least thrice) it's been an ABS sensor that's been faulty... changed it and OK for the next year or so. The last one was front-nearside.
magicands   
Sat Jun 27 2015, 05:23pm
Member No: #1021
Yep, ABS sensor, I had exactly the same warnings.
Mine was indeed a fuel tank drop which was costly
Website
travlician   
Sun Jun 28 2015, 03:46am
Member No: #350
Can be brake pedal switch too... A lot easier to replace. Best is check with Lexia / Diagbox to see what's the real source.
userpco   
Sun Jul 05 2015, 05:05pm
Member No: #622
Over five years of intermittent warnings although diagnostics indicated faulty front brake sensors...replaced on separate occasions...still got ABS and handbrake warnings. I decided to have both rear sensors replaced. No msgs. or problems in the past year.
Dyane2CVZXx2C2C6   
Mon Jul 06 2015, 09:21am
Member No: #2203
I too have same warnings (ABS/ESP, Handbrake etc). Found that if I enter a destination (from standstill) into Sat Nav, the warnings do not come up! Also Sat Nav displays all info, location, number of satellites etc as well as smoothly scrolling through map. It skips when warnings are present.
Bit of a pain if you are only going down-the-road. Any reason these things should be connected?
magicands   
Mon Jul 06 2015, 10:18am
Mine was the rear ABS sensor, dealer had to lower fuel tank to get at it so it was costly.
Plenty of threads on here regarding this issue.
Website
David Hallworth   
Mon Jul 06 2015, 05:27pm

Member No: #90
My car has started doing this despite already having had the rear left ABS sensor replaced once. It's a job I'm really not looking forward to doing as I've read that dropping the fuel tank when you've got the lounge pack fitted is a right pain in the ar$e.

David.
magicands   
Tue Jul 07 2015, 09:18am
David Hallworth wrote ...

My car has started doing this despite already having had the rear left ABS sensor replaced once. It's a job I'm really not looking forward to doing as I've read that dropping the fuel tank when you've got the lounge pack fitted is a right pain in the ar$e.

David.

Good luck

Website
Dyane2CVZXx2C2C6   
Wed Jul 29 2015, 11:13pm
Taking my C6 into my local Citroën dealer on Tuesday. They say that the diagnostic will only 'flag-up' ABS sensor fault, but not specify which one. It's a process of elimination. Bit like Russian roulette!
ecksem   
Fri Jul 31 2015, 10:26pm
Member No: #626
I've read the various replies to my first query, and thanks for the range of suggestions. When I first bought the car four years ago the local agent did respond to my anxious enquiry and reset this and that and fiddled with the brake switch and all has been well until this tortuous trip across rough roads in Provence. We are home again and the car seems to have decided it likes British roads so I hope to get the Cosford on the 15/16 without further warnings.
e3steve   
Sat Aug 01 2015, 09:56am
Member No: #1163
I've been experiencing the same (constant) warnings for about a month, now. I read the BSI and found it to be "Rear l/h ABS sensor open circuit or short circuit".

I have two new sensors to fit, £27 the pair. I'm not dropping the fuel tank and then replacing just one!!
Dyane2CVZXx2C2C6   
Fri Aug 14 2015, 04:18pm
Hi e3steve
Can I assume that you've fitted these? Just got back from my Citroën dealer and there are no sensors in the country, 10 day wait! Rather wanted job done before we go to France end-of next week. Just thought if you were not fitting them, could I buy them off you?
Thanks
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club