C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

New starter motor - Much improved starting

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Sevenman   
Fri Nov 27 2015, 07:18am
Member No: #2241
Since buying it recently my 08 plate C6 had been slow to start, sometimes very slow.

A new battery helped, sometimes it started ok, sometimes it was very slow to start despite full charge in the battery (CTEK assisted).

Some YouTube videos follow:

Typical start
Warm start
Slow start despite full charge

As part of an early service, a new starter motor went in. There seem to be a few well-priced options about.

New starter, cold start
New starter, warm start
New starter, another cold start

As you can see, there is a very big difference in starting speed. After 98k miles it looks like the original starter was well past its best.
gmerry   
Fri Nov 27 2015, 08:41am
Member No: #21
Hi it seems that starter wear (bearing/bush) seems to be the number one culprit for 2.7HDi poor starting.

Regards
G
e3steve   
Sat Nov 28 2015, 10:17am
Member No: #1163
All was similar with mine, except I tried repairing my starter motor only to find I had to make the very uncomfortable incursion a second time in order to replace it with a new one!

It became so bad that the excess current was decaying the battery's terminal voltage, which really spooked the ECUs and caused all manner of warnings and ghostly happenings. B l o o d y CANbus!
Sevenman   
Sat Nov 28 2015, 03:55pm
e3steve wrote ...
I tried repairing my starter motor only to find I had to make the very uncomfortable incursion a second time in order to replace it with a new one!

I am afraid I don't have the aptitude / time to try replacing it myself, but the mechanic said it wasn't a job he would like to do again and that a lot of things needed to be moved.

e3steve wrote ...

It became so bad that the excess current was decaying the battery's terminal voltage, which really spooked the ECUs and caused all manner of warnings and ghostly happenings. B l o o d y CANbus!

Hopefully that won't happen here now. When I first had the car with weak battery and poor starter motor one failed start got the voltage so low that the clock lost its time.

It has a 60 hour wait between starts from Friday to Monday which is the longest I have left it, but I am expecting it to start well when needed. It should...
e3steve   
Sat Nov 28 2015, 04:49pm
Sevenman wrote ...
It has a 60 hour wait between starts from Friday to Monday which is the longest I have left it, but I am expecting it to start well when needed. It should...
It will...
Sevenman   
Sat Nov 28 2015, 04:57pm
e3steve wrote ...

It will...

But as you say, it will be fine
userpco   
Wed Dec 30 2015, 03:31pm
Member No: #622
I too, experience a very slow start in spite of fitting a new battery last month (my 2.7 C6 is 8 yrs old but with only 24,500 miles you can guess there are quite long idle periods)
I am wondering if the starter is indirectly responsible for the latest hiccups ?
I have just completed a100 mile trip to Swanage and on the way the cruise control failed to work (no err msg.) When I arrived at the hotel I noticed the rear Spoiler had stayed open (still is, in spite of trying the wiper/spoiler maintenance positioning trick with the ignition key and driving round the block)
If the problem persists on the return journey Jan 2nd I will take it to Forge Motors, Cookham who service it.
I would appreciate any comments as to whether it would be worth while getting a new starter motor fitted ?
e3steve   
Wed Dec 30 2015, 04:15pm
userpco wrote ...

I too, experience a very slow start in spite of fitting a new battery last month (my 2.7 C6 is 8 yrs old but with only 24,500 miles you can guess there are quite long idle periods)
I am wondering if the starter is indirectly responsible for the latest hiccups ?
Worth replacing. Bet a pound to a penny it's taking an exit bow...

userpco wrote ...
I have just completed a100 mile trip to Swanage and on the way the cruise control failed to work (no err msg.)
Give the underside of the steering column nacelle a good bashing; that'll probably fix it. For a week or so!

userpco wrote ...
When I arrived at the hotel I noticed the rear Spoiler had stayed open (still is, in spite of trying the wiper/spoiler maintenance positioning trick with the ignition key and driving round the block)
Mine does this on occasion. Mind of its own.

userpco wrote ...

If the problem persists on the return journey Jan 2nd I will take it to Forge Motors, Cookham who service it.
I would appreciate any comments as to whether it would be worth while getting a new starter motor fitted ?
Don't have the OEM Citroën motor fitted (Denso); it'll only fail again. That said, the Premier Factors motor may not be any better, but at least it's only £160 (nowadays) or so!

userpco   
Wed Dec 30 2015, 05:01pm
Many thanks Steve, will definitely take onboard the tips.
To add to my last post, I have ordered a can of Ferrosol having read the thread on sticking Spoilers.
Also, the original battery lasted 5 yrs. The replacement a Varta H3 kept going flat after only 2 1/2 yrs (which I now suspect...from previous threads...was due to the starter draining it)
It's just occurred to me if I give up driving in 10 yrs...at 95...the C6 will be 18 yes old with only 54,000 on the clock. Who knows, maybe then it's value will equal its purchase price
Trainman   
Wed Dec 30 2015, 07:26pm

Member No: #86
Another simple trick with the cruise control, is to just move the steering column up and down as well as in and out.
paulx19car   
Wed Dec 30 2015, 08:03pm
Member No: #2431
Trainman wrote ...

Another simple trick with the cruise control, is to just move the steering column up and down as well as in and out.

Same issue. Simple fix, remove lower shroud behind steering wheel. Unplug the connectors. Clean and put it all back. !!

Worked for me
e3steve   
Fri Jan 01 2016, 12:07pm
userpco wrote ...

Many thanks Steve, will definitely take onboard the tips.
To add to my last post, I have ordered a can of Ferrosol having read the thread on sticking Spoilers.
Also, the original battery lasted 5 yrs. The replacement a Varta H3 kept going flat after only 2 1/2 yrs (which I now suspect...from previous threads...was due to the starter draining it)
It's just occurred to me if I give up driving in 10 yrs...at 95...the C6 will be 18 yes old with only 54,000 on the clock. Who knows, maybe then it's value will equal its purchase price

Starter motors on eBay: - Click Here -
userpco   
Fri Jan 22 2016, 10:14pm
Happy to report:
1) The failed cruise control was cured by thumping the shroud under the steering wheel (thanks Steve)
2) The Spoiler, which was stuck in the fully deployed position, is now working normally (thanks to Cisco's post Nov 2013) it was fixed during Diagnostic check in spite of no fault being flagged.
3) the sluggish starting, which I thought might be caused by an ailing Starter motor is now very much improved now that I give the glow plugs a chance to do their job for 10 secs....who reads the manual 'how to start the car' when you have been driving for 66 years!?...
Looking forward to meeting you if FreakyFrenchFan's Convoy comes to fruition.
e3steve   
Sat Jan 23 2016, 12:23pm
userpco wrote ...
Happy to report:
1) The failed cruise control was cured by thumping the shroud under the steering wheel (thanks Steve)

It'll happen again; you'll get used to it! I reset the contacts in the column's CANbus little harness connectors, but it still occasionally poops itself...

userpco wrote ...
2) The Spoiler, which was stuck in the fully deployed position, is now working normally (thanks to Cisco's post Nov 2013) it was fixed during Diagnostic check in spite of no fault being flagged.

It'll happen again...

userpco wrote ...
3) the sluggish starting, which I thought might be caused by an ailing Starter motor is now very much improved now that I give the glow plugs a chance to do their job for 10 secs....who reads the manual 'how to start the car' when you have been driving for 66 years!?...
Looking forward to meeting you if FreakyFrenchFan's Convoy comes to fruition.

'Glow impatience' won't cause the motor to crank lazily; it will just make the engine's diesel knock more apparent when it 'catches'.

My glowplug indicator has only showed itself on three occasions, earlier this week, when it was frosty.
dsharples   
Sun Jan 24 2016, 05:59pm
Member No: #119
I've had a "new starter motor" (£670 @ Local Citroen Dealer) to cure my slow/long cranking issues that really became obvious before Xmas, but have clearly been getting worse for much longer. Sometimes my C6 would start quickly, other times it would be tan-a-wanna-wanna for 5-10 seconds, and then sometimes a 2nd attempt would be needed. My wife insisted it was better when you let the ignition just hum for 5-10 secs before cranking... It really confused the Chief Mechanic at my local dealer, who also insisted it was the battery or pre-heater - but discovered it wasn't... the hard way. I've also had the Cambelt, pulleys, water-belt etc., and Front Discs/Pads done at the same time, which resulted in quite an eye-watering bill of £1600.

As others have said, the starter just drains all the available current from the battery, which then affects pre-heating, glow plugs, and all sorts of other stuff...

Its now almost click-tana-starts.. That quick!

I think it might be getting near the end for my own C6 journey... I love it to bits, and there is no hydraulic Citroen like it, or to replace it with.. but... I've still got occasional EGR niggles, and a clunk from the front suspension that can only be another Frip joint... Perhaps its time for an enthusiast who does not need it to be his or her main car to run it and cherish it...., or at least has the time to look after it him or herself... if I had storage I would keep her 100%.. but as main personal and business transport......maybe not...
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club