C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

ABS/ESP fault with Handbrake fault

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ecksem   
Sun Feb 05 2012, 06:20pm
Member No: #626
My car produced this on a straight road at steady speed after a few miles on a journey. Why? Then it recurred next time after a shorter interval and then the handbrake would not operate at all. Finally, it even showed the warnings as soon as starting up in the garage. Yeomans, Exeter, first suggested a brake sensor with dodgy contacts, but a week later they found a faulty ABS sensor on front n/s wheel and replaced it under the used car warranty.

I asked the cost if I had paid for it and was told around £400. There are three more wheels to go so I might extend the warranty. I read the threads of some time ago and happily did not have to drop the fuel tank.

I also asked about slight pitching movement and I was told they had made an adjustment (or maybe download) and the car does seem steadier. Another C6 owner in Dawlish is experiencing the same ABS/Handbrake warning problem.
C6Dave   
Sun Feb 05 2012, 07:35pm

Member No: #1
I had virtually the same issue and changing the brake pedal switch in the passenger foot well, sorted mine out at a cost of circa £28 for the part.......
Website
Leeant   
Sun Feb 07 2016, 01:10pm
Member No: #2397
userpco   
Sun Feb 07 2016, 10:43pm
Member No: #622
ecksem wrote ...

I asked the cost if I had paid for it and was told around £400. There are three more wheels to go so I might extend the warranty. I read the threads of some time ago and happily did not have to drop the fuel tank.

Summarising a long story on ABS warning msgs.
Dec 2007 C6 bought new
Intermittent warnings for 4 years (1st after 9 mths). Never showed up during service while under warranty.
Dec 2011. Warning msgs. permanent
NSF ABS sensor replaced. £180
Apr 2012. Intermittent warnings
Jly 2013. Brake pedal switch replaced £54
Apr 2014. NSR sensor replaced. £210
May 2014 NSF (2nd time). £123
Jun 2014. OSF & OSR. £247
IMHO not faulty sensors but faulty connection and unreliable diagnosis. It's a shame but when you can't fix electrics yourself, what can you do but pay up?

I never had these problems with my first car, a 1931 Singer Le Mans !
Leeant   
Tue Mar 01 2016, 01:14pm
I've had this issue for a while now.
I've purchased a new brake pedal switch assembly but I have no idea where in the foot well the old one is.

I have added a photo of what looks like the switch in the foot well and also the switch I purchased.
Does anyone know if I am looking at the right thing?

Cisco   
Tue Mar 01 2016, 01:41pm
Member No: #1429
Yup, That's it (in the lhs footwell). Remember to adjust the plunger "stick out" to the same as the old one before installing. Also, IIRC, it is easier to attach the wiring to the switch before reinstalling

ATB

Frank
cruiserphil   
Wed Mar 02 2016, 08:52am

Member No: #38
Make sure to fit extension lead that comes with the switch!

Best regards,

Phil C.
e3steve   
Wed Mar 02 2016, 01:44pm
Member No: #1163
Indeed. Just drop the felt cover under the glove box; two quarter-turn buttons, one each side of the footwell courtesy light.
Leeant   
Sun Mar 06 2016, 10:03am
Can anyone help me work out where the other end of the extention cable attaches. It seams to be joined to other cables and I'm struggling to work out where it goes. I have taken out the grey foam to get better access. Is it any of these?

cruiserphil   
Sun Mar 06 2016, 01:20pm

Member No: #38
You attach it to the plug that the original switch lead was connected to. Then find a suitable spot to attach its support clip to and then attach the switch cable to it. Does that help?

Best Regards,

Phil C.
Leeant   
Sun Mar 06 2016, 10:11pm
Thanks Phil I think I understand now.
I'm not replacing the original cable, as it's name suggests the extension cable (with the new switch) attaches to the original cable that was previously directly attached to the switch.
Fingers crossed that it will sort out my ABS/ESP Handbrake fault.
Cisco   
Sun Mar 06 2016, 10:42pm
Member No: #1429
Leeant,

If the new switch doesn't sort your problem then you need to get your car hooked up for a lexia/diagbox session to see what the problem really is.

If you then find it's an abs sensor that has dropped out, (likely), then it will be relatively easy to replace. The esp and handbrake always seem to show up as a fault when an abs sensor fails.

Good luck with it,

Frank
ChrisHunter   
Tue Mar 08 2016, 01:18pm
Member No: #188
our experience was that dropping the fuel tank & replacing the connector to the rear ABS sensors fixed the problem - no issue for several years, now ...

NB: couple of other things we've found :

1) a couple of times, over the years, we got handbrake error messages - cure each time was to use the handbrake a few times (it's rare that we do, so use it or lose it seems to apply) ...

2) Sat.Nav - one day we clipped the front nearside wheel on the end of a curb hiding in the grass on a country road on our way to Tring ... from the morning after, we had spates of the sat.nav saying it could see no satellites, making it of no use to anyone - very random, could be fine for months, or days, or hours, even part-journeys, and not-fine for similar periods ... if it came good during a journey, it was usually in one of a few places ... but, after a few years of this, we had to replace the front nearside suspension sphere, and the sat.nav has been fine all the time ever since ...
e3steve   
Fri Mar 11 2016, 09:26am
Member No: #1163
ChrisHunter wrote ...
.... a couple of times, over the years, we got handbrake error messages - cure each time was to use the handbrake a few times (it's rare that we do, so use it or lose it seems to apply) ...

I'd never rely on an auto-box 'P' to hold a vehicle on a slope; particularly a two+ tonne vehicle! Asking for trouble, IMHO.

It's basically just a 'dog' that engages into a slot, and the metals are not "amazium" alloy...

Besides, the parking brake should be used and 'exercised'. The only time not to apply the parking brake would be when parking on the flat in below-freezing temperatures.
ChrisHunter   
Thu May 26 2016, 08:18pm
Member No: #188
quite agree - each end of our regular commute, though, is very flat / horizontal, and we find that the brakes tend to seize when it's left for a few days - always, of course, they are applied when we stop, meaning, when we move it after several days, there's often the sound of the brakes breaking free ... and we'd rather the freeing business was as light as possible !
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club