Greetings from Preston (part 3)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
cruiserphil   
Thu Nov 08 2012, 09:16pm

Member No: #38
Steve,

I had this fail on one of our cars. The failure meant it was registering a humidity of 37500% or so - if you look at the air con status in Lexia you should see some ridiculous figure. The sensor is about €56 + VAT. There is no remove/replace instruction or obvious location detail. But you're in luck - it's handy. It's behind the small grille in the dash between the glove compartment and the centre console. You don't remove the grille. You remove the centre console radio and switch panel (this is actually straightforward). Then you can reach in behind the sensor and twist it to remove. There is plenty of cable to allow this and to make the plug accessible. The sensor has a little vane motor on it.

By the way, I discovered all this after removing the panels around the heater box and lying under the dash with an endoscope camera (Aldi) and not finding it. When I looked at the new sensor I recognised it as identical to one that was fitted in with the interior light in my XM. Seeing it wasn't in the ceiling of the C6, when I looked at the dash and saw the small grille I took off the grille and identified it (but you can't remove it from there).

Regads,

Phil C.
cruiserphil   
Thu Nov 08 2012, 10:31pm

Member No: #38
Steve,

The sensor is the hygrometric sensor listed for the Visteon unit. I notice there is no such sensor description for the Behr unit (later cars).

Regards,

Phil C.
Trainman   
Fri Nov 09 2012, 09:15am

Member No: #86
Phil,

Thanks for that, I've a week off in December, so it can hang on until then....

On a side note got the new battery fitted yesterday, the old was completely knackered, when tested, it showed to be weak and I'd just driven it back from Warrington to Preston, some 35 miles, gone home had a cuppa and then gone to the garage, god knows how it started but it did............

I remembered to drop the window before changing the battery, but couldn't get it to reset, a little Renault trick came in handy, the window rises in short moves, once it gets to the top, hold the button completely up for 10 seconds, then send the window down, hold the button down for 10 seconds and the the windows resets, Please remember to do this with the door shut as it won't work otherwise..........
Trainman   
Sun Dec 23 2012, 11:53am

I've just realised that I haven't been spending much time on the interweb recently, mainly due to the pressures of daily life so thought I'd better spend sometime updating my 'blog'. As those of you that are CCC memebr's will know, whilst doing a favour for She Who Must Be Obeyed saw me causing a bit of damage to the car Near Side Rear door took the brunt of the damage, Purely my own fault the damage being caused be a fence post which I got much too close to, needless to say the air was bluer than the car. As you can see from the picture, the door needs replacing and as the doors are Aluminium, a repair would cost a fortune, luckily there is a door available on an internet auction site which coincidently is also in the correct colour so that’s a no brainer!

Given the weather conditions at the moment, getting this replaced by the end of January is looking ever increasingly difficult, and I may have to bite the bullet and take it to a body shop as I don't have the facilities to be able to replace it outside, as the C6 won't fit in the garage, at least not with all the other stuff in there, there's only just room for SWMBO Polo, and that's a squeeze.
C6Dave   
Sun Dec 23 2012, 02:23pm

Member No: #1
A 'new' rear door is £600.17 from Citroen (9006 J1) so it would work out rather expensive by the time you stripped it down, painted the new one and rebuilt and fitted it

Are you sure the skin is aluminium, have you tried a magnet on it?

I saw a nifty tool being used in the body shop where the traction is being painted.

Basically it does an instant spot weld of a rivet to a panel which you can attach a slide hammer to (no drilling holes) and use that to pull the dent out to a level where it could be filled and painted

Saves a lot of time and expense and I saw far worse than your 'dent' repaired to a point you wouldn't know it had been there

Ideal for pulling dents in double skinned areas
Website
Gobxoy   
Sun Dec 23 2012, 08:42pm
Member No: #786
I think this one is still for sale - Click Here - may be worth a look????
Trainman   
Sun Dec 23 2012, 08:50pm

Dave,

I took to a friend of a friend who owns a bodyshop and he took one look at it and said "New Door" the time and effort involved...... etc.

Clive,
Already on the radar, in fact it's from a 2006 car and is the same colour, the downside is that it's just the door..... this means havig to strip down mine and then transfer everything to the new one, so effectively I'm looking at a 2 day job, in the middle of winter and working outside, which isn't a pretty thought......
gmerry   
Mon Dec 24 2012, 11:56am
Member No: #21
Trainman, if you are buying parts from this car, would you sell me the drivers side door handle lock cover - mine's Mauritius Blue you see!

Regards
G
Trainman   
Mon Dec 24 2012, 02:07pm

Much as I would love to Gerry, it's the NSR door I need, so no lock cover, and from reading their website, the door comes stripped, otherwise you could of had it.....
ciao_chao   
Tue Dec 25 2012, 12:41am
Member No: #518
C6Dave wrote ...

A 'new' rear door is £600.17 from Citroen (9006 J1) so it would work out rather expensive by the time you stripped it down, painted the new one and rebuilt and fitted it

Are you sure the skin is aluminium, have you tried a magnet on it?

I saw a nifty tool being used in the body shop where the traction is being painted.

Basically it does an instant spot weld of a rivet to a panel which you can attach a slide hammer to (no drilling holes) and use that to pull the dent out to a level where it could be filled and painted

Saves a lot of time and expense and I saw far worse than your 'dent' repaired to a point you wouldn't know it had been there

Ideal for pulling dents in double skinned areas

Yeah, I've seen that device. Not sure how well it will work on aluminium. Notoriously hard to weld.
theguardian   
Tue Dec 25 2012, 08:24am
Member No: #645
Gobxoy wrote ...

I think this one is still for sale - Click Here - may be worth a look????

if thats the right door steve
i would be happy to go and get it for you mate if it helps
Trainman   
Wed Dec 26 2012, 08:26am

Thanks Ron, but its only £20 to have it delivered to me, so I'll probably just get it sent here, as the work is going to be have to be done sooner rather than later, It's annoying the hell out of me.

Because the door is dinted, I'm semi losing interest in keeping the C6 pristine, and that's annoying me too. SWMBO has released the funds so I'm looking at early January for it being done
theguardian   
Wed Dec 26 2012, 09:22am
Member No: #645
no problem mate hope she's sorted soon, if you pm me your address i will send that c6 stuff up to you
ciao_chao   
Thu Dec 27 2012, 12:33am
Member No: #518
Well isn't it a good chance to get your front bumper done too?
Trainman   
Thu Dec 27 2012, 06:58pm

ciao_chao wrote ...

Well isn't it a good chance to get your front bumper done too?

It certainly is, and I've already factored that in......
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club