C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Depollution system failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
citrohanc6   
Sun Jul 31 2011, 04:41pm
Member No: #329
Paul, just in case you missed it, one solution is some posts up: clogged fuel filter.

Had this fault also a month ago with my 2.2 D. After a long swing joining the traffic at the Brussels ring while pushing the accelerater: loss of power and the beep and yellow pic.

Fault icon disappeared after two weeks (not sure if batt. was disconnected, had a rotten batt. also in the mean time).

Went to my dealer here in the Netherlands: van Empel; who was quick with his suitcase-lexia. Error code: P0087 i.e. fuel control system: pressure too low. He adviced as mentioned above check fuel filter and injectors.

But he also asked if the fuel level was low, because my swing towards the brussels ring could by its g forces have lowered the system pressure. So Chris; my English is not too well: is "an incline" when you're mounting i.e. go up a hill? (i know the french "l'inclinisation" to let the water drip down the treshhold but that the wrong direction for my reasoning). Maybe this will throw some light on this case in combination with a semi clogged fuel filter or faulty injectors

winus
C6Dave   
Sun Jul 31 2011, 05:43pm

Member No: #1
Error Code search does find P0087 in the database here: - Click Here -

Which shows:

A C4 owner has had a similar issue (different error code) which turned out to be poor quality fuel - Click Here - although he was from the Ukraine.
Website
ChrisHunter   
Mon Aug 01 2011, 03:37pm
Member No: #188
apologies, missed the queries of the last few posts ...

yep, incline means hill - not a gentle one, in this case (not especially steep, but one of the steeper motorway hills, with its effect being exaggerated by the rapid acceleration) ...

the fuel filter was certainly our problem, with the car having done something over 20k miles ...

at the next service & test, it was cleaned and after that we also changed where we buy our fuel ...

with 30k+ now on the clock, we've had no further problem, even with enthusiastic acceleration ...

and that's even with having run the fuel-tank to near empty more than a few times - oh for a bigger tank !

my feeling is that the problem was poor fuel quality ...

the engine sounds & responds better now, too, even in normal driving ...
Chevrons   
Sun Sep 18 2011, 04:23pm
Member No: #85
Identical symptoms last Saturday accelerting up an incline onto the M20 at Ashford: Engine died, depollution system failure warning. Engine back to life just below 50. Left with orange warning light and cruise control not working. If I accelerated hard afterwards the engine died, then recovered a few seconds after easing off.

Stood all week at Heathrow last week and when I got back yesterday no warning light and cruise control working OK on my way back up to the real world. Decided to apply lots of throttle near home and, yes, it's the same. So, will book in to dealer tomorrow and give feedback - bah, been totally reliable since I had it.
Chevrons   
Thu Oct 06 2011, 04:02pm
OK, so Citroen dealer suggests the fuel filter is blocked and that it gets changed at the next service due in 2000 miles.
Chevrons   
Fri Oct 07 2011, 02:29pm
Local garage (not Citroen dealer) changed the fuel filter and all's well again - simples.
citrohanc6   
Fri Oct 07 2011, 07:32pm
Did they replace the complete unit or the filter element only? What did they charge you (if i may ask)? I'm considering to replace the filter myself.
mark28   
Sat Oct 08 2011, 06:51pm
Member No: #102
Mine came on and off a few times. Been diagnosed as fault in turbo or air mass sensor . In on Monday and the warranty comes in to use again . My car cost me about 1500 quid more than a private sale . Since April I have had the following done under the warranty . Power steering pipe , cruise control , rear drop link , front ball joint and now the bits above , I still love my C6 but it is a logout of love ! I think I have had my 1500 quid worth
Chevrons   
Sun Oct 09 2011, 03:48pm
citrohanc6 wrote ...

Did they replace the complete unit or the filter element only? What did they charge you?

He replaced the filter element; I'll post the cost when he sends the invoice in.
citrohanc6   
Sun Oct 09 2011, 07:37pm
Ok thanks Ian, wait and see....

@ Mark; me was offered a full year warranty for 800 which i stupidly reduced to six months. My advice to future buyers is to get as long as you can.

Sometimes dealers offer a car in a fair good shape. But: you're obliged to come back to get the finishing touch done at the expenses of either Citroen or the insurer.

After my six month warr: battery, depolution failure, wiper motor. (Ex. depolution 300 quid)
mark28   
Mon Oct 10 2011, 04:15pm
Well for the first time since owning my car I think I have found a garage that I can work with and trust . My car might be fixed but might not . The Egr valve has been cleaned and front and back swapped. Now I need to see if it comes on again then the fault has been identified. Technician spent 20 mins on the phone to me and will also talk me through a Citroën Uk bulletin that was sent to dealers re this fault . Will update tomorrow . I am going to use the ds3 I have been leant for a trip tonight .
mark28   
Thu Oct 27 2011, 05:45am
Update . The fault came back and it was a faulty EGR valve. This was replaced and is all now fine . The nice man also showed me the fault on the computer and what was happening under acceleration . The car drives better and also is giving me a few more MPGs . This fault was common enough for Citroën to issue a "service bulletin" which I was also shown . A detailed flow diagram with each possible cause of this fault and the cure .
michaelb   
Thu Oct 27 2011, 12:15pm
Member No: #14
mark28 wrote ...

Well for the first time since owning my car I think I have found a garage that I can work with and trust .

Go on, share their name with us
SGC   
Wed Oct 17 2012, 08:21pm
Member No: #1062
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but would like to ask for advice.

My Depollution System Faulty warning comes on straight away after switching on the engine, however I get no loss of performance and the emissions are within tolerance and my cruise control works fine.

Car was serviced today and the garage confirm that the fuel filter didn't need changed.

They have however suggested the use of an additive to aid the burning of the particulate

Any ideas?
gmerry   
Wed Oct 17 2012, 09:00pm
Member No: #21
Not sure why you would add an additive. Citroen FAP system already has one (on every C6 diesel).

On the Fuel Filter thing, how does the garage know it doesnt need to be changed? Just curious
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club