Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Gobxoy   
Sat Jun 02 2012, 09:27am
Member No: #786
An update on Kleen Wheels

E-mailed Kleen Wheels USA no reply.

E-mailed Kleen Wheels UK no reply. (Performance & Leisure UK Ltd.)

Phoned no answer. 0208 441 7559

Phoned again no answer.

Tried second number, 0208 441 1436, finaly got passed to Graham,

Q TUV approval A Carried out back in 1984.

Q Whats the current state of play A I'm working on getting my own approval, MIRA want £15,000 to do a test to pull car with brakes on, and then repeat with Kleen Wheels, I'm trying to get the cost down. I am hoepful in getting this done in the next month or so.

Q Whats do Kleen Wheels say A They have been selling them for decades and they have never been asked for testing, and keep on selling. So aren't very interested in doing any.

IMHO The C6 has vented discs all round, and most cars had steel wheels, and full wheel trins not much increased airflow or heat transfered to wheel to dissipate the heat.(C6 Gross 2340KG )

Here's CX brochure extract Gross 1825KG Steel wheels full trims (smaller discs for less weight)

Here's a link to Kleen Wheels at SEMA 2008
- Click Here -

I know C6Dave expressed an interest, and I'm still "right one that"

Obviously I neither want to invalidate my warranty or insurance.

So ceramic pads are out?
C6Dave   
Sat Jun 02 2012, 10:59am

Member No: #1
So, do they have any that will fit the C6?
Website
Gobxoy   
Sat Jun 02 2012, 12:46pm
C6Dave wrote:-

So, do they have any that will fit the C6?

I think yes, but was so un-impressed, that the e-mail I was given by Graham when I spoke to him bounced my e-mail,(with the dimensions he asked for)as did the e-mail adress on the link.

That I didn't follow up.

If you like I'll try him again after the Jubilywobily Banky'oliday'extendy sillibrations. Provided I 'don't go straight to the tower of course

I'll will post a diagram of those dimensions, as well (they are on another PC at the mow)
C6Dave   
Sat Jun 02 2012, 01:22pm

OK, if your not locked up next week let me know
Website
Gobxoy   
Sat Jun 02 2012, 01:43pm
Wilco
gmerry   
Mon Jun 04 2012, 11:44am
Member No: #21
Must admit I'm a skeptic that these devices will not reduce airflow and hence braking thermal dissipation. One off stops from low speed basically use the metal thermal capacity: repeated braking of braking from high speed needs the heat to be dumped to the air, thats why drum brakes are inadequate.

here are some illustrative numbers:-
car travelling at 120km per hour, assumed mass 2000kg(gross), kinetic energy 1111kJ
thermal capacity of 4 brake disks, 50kg, thermap capacity of cast iron 0.5kJ/kgK. estimated temperature rise braking to rest from 120 kmph 44 degC, loss of altitude without speed increase say 150m, energy to dissipate 2943kJ, equivalent adiabatic temperature ris in brakes (as per above assumptions) 117 degC

Looking at the Kleenwheels website, it appears that there might be a casual disregard for thermal heat transfer principles including claims that they act as a heatsink.

I guess this might not be a problem if the intended use of the car was only gentle around town mileage or occasional motorway use without repeated braking.

Alternatively spirited A road driving, especially hilly country, Alpine use, busy motorway driving with short braking intervals, might not be a good idea.

Regards
G
Dapprman   
Mon Jun 04 2012, 01:11pm
Member No: #710
I'm not convinced by items like this but to be honest, unless you're taking your car on the track, you're not going to be generating 'that' much heat unless your pads and disks are binding.
Gobxoy   
Wed Jun 06 2012, 04:14pm
Differing opinions 'ardley suprising

D6Dave Good news no visits from Beef-burgers (may be that's Beef-eaters)

Anyway Graham @ AutoMarkets and re-e-mailed the pic below (gwoodage@aol.com) sitting on hands waiting for a response.

So "I'm still on that C6Dave".

Here's my measurements when I had the wheel (puncture)

C6Dave   
Wed Jun 06 2012, 05:07pm

Did you also pass over the PCD and bore?

108 X 5 and 65.1mm
Website
Gobxoy   
Wed Jun 06 2012, 06:37pm
No all Graham asked for was Wheel ID hud dia and dish, I think a lot have slots for the wheel bolts.

Yeah might want the spigot bore.

I'll wait and see if I get a reply, if not I'll again.

( good excuse to )

Keep you posted.
Gobxoy   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 12:50pm
UPDATE
Graham replied to my e-mail:-

looking I think our part number 1804 will do it.
We can supply a pair of these on a test fit basis - if not suitable and in resell able condition on return we will refund excluding any return costs.
MEANWHILE
I asked my insurers AVIVA IF "Kleen Wheels were OK to fit" They said get my brokers to ask........................... and this was my Brokers reply:-

They have confirmed that as long as they don't enhance the performance to affect the size of the tyres this would be covered as standard,

Errrr.... So I rang Graham, to arrange a visit, so I can get a set to suit 1st go. he's away till next Monday, so will try again, then.

JUST IN CASE ALSO WANTS A set or TWO (FRONT & REAR)
LET ME KNOW (or perhaps C6Dave may be more appropriate?)

And I see IF we can get a CLUB Discount? Worth A try???

C6Dave   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 02:31pm

I would have a set of 4. I don't think it's as much of an issue on the 2.2 and 2.7's as the wheel design is more 'closed' and they don't get as dirty as quickly as those on the 3.0 HDi's
Website
Gobxoy   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 03:29pm
OK C6Dave I sorta thought that might be the case, on 2.2s & 2.7s (inc 3.0i's)

BTW I looked at my wheel weights they are just where the KW would seat, so I suspect you may want to factor in a re-balance. I have just been quoted £7 a pop plus Vat (is that the going rate?)
C6Dave   
Tue Jun 12 2012, 05:02pm

Wheel weights should be glued on the inside face and tend to be only 2-3mm thick.

Lead weights clipped to the inner / outer rim should nor be used on Alloys unless of course they have been balanced by KwikFit who don't seem to understand that....

Are you saying that there will be no clearance?
Website
Gobxoy   
Wed Jun 13 2012, 07:48am
C6Dave I used to own a garage and have used dynamic and static (bubble balance) so was aware of the situation.

That said, I noticed that on my wheels the wheel weights are just inboard of the machined lip near the spokes, which is just where I would expect the Kleen Wheels to mate with the wheels, thus rendeing them inefective unless the weights were removed and re-balanced.

Alternatively the the flatter more angled type may avoid this?

Can you post a picture one of your wheels showing the balance weights, so next week I can be sure that I singing from both hymn sheets or at least have sight of them.

I had also thought about getting them 2/3mm smaller diameter and filling the gap with 2/3mm foam tape.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club