C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Battery Life and Replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Fri Apr 27 2012, 09:09am
Member No: #21
Dave, official Varta Manufacturer's site (not battery sellers) shows the E12 battery, 680 Amps Cold Cranking and 72 amp hour as the rated battery for the 2.7 Diesel. Personally I take some comfort that Varta is the name on the original battery so they should know what the C6 requires.

Personally I'm not sure that the amp hour rating is the critical thing for a starting battery as the depth of discharge should in theory never be more than about 10% and the "economy mode" ensures that with engine off, electrical consumption is limited and well controlled.

In any case, the battery dimensions are fixed. I'm not aware that any reputable battery manufactuer is offering a starting type battery with amp hour capacity >90 within the fixed dimensions (exotic battery chemistries aside)
gmerry   
Fri Apr 27 2012, 06:42pm
Well, Battery arrived and DSharples appears to be correct.

Old battery dimensions are 353L x 190H x 175W. B13 type hold down, Type 1 terminals. Pole position 1. Any battery ordered to these physical /dimensional specifications will fit.
The actual original battery is a VARTA with a massive 950A. No Amphour capacity stated on the labels.

I've checked the various battery websites including Bosch and they all recommend much smaller batteries. Must be a systematic mistake.

The new battery is much smaller and only 680A CCA so will be a bit marginal.

Looking at the Varta battery search website, the largest capacity battery that will fit is designated H3 and is 100AHour and 830CCA. So this would possible be the best available replacement.

So hopefully my mistake will help point someone else in the right direction

Regards
G

Battery Search

Search for vehicles and technical data by VARTA short code
Looking for technical information about a battery? Please enter the VARTA short code (without spaces)- eg C22.

You can also enter just a part of the code (at least one character) plus an asterisk, e.g. C*.
Country

Article Number

600 402 083 3162
Product Line

SILVER dynamic
Voltage [V]12
Battery Capacity [Ah]100
Cold-test Current, EN [A]830
Length [mm]353
Width [mm]175
Height [mm]190
Hold-down Type B13
Pole Positions 0
Terminal Type 1
Short Code H3
Uk Nr.019

OE References: BMW, Daimler, GM-Group, Fiat Group, Ford Group, Opel, PSA, VW Group, ...

BENEFITS OF SILVER dynamic:

For vehicles with extremely high performance demands

Ideal for vehicles with a large number of electrical devices

High-end product

Perfect for use with diesel engines

PowerFrame® technology for a longer service life

- Click Here -

- Click Here -
C6Dave   
Fri Apr 27 2012, 07:04pm

Member No: #1
Given the systems on board a C6 G, I personally would want the biggest capacity battery that will fit in the car so 100 AH sounds like a good idea.
Website
gmerry   
Wed May 02 2012, 09:07pm
Here's a photo side by side of new versus original battery.

I don't care if it doesn't meet the "spec" but I do know it fits and is the biggest Varta I could buy. H3 is the reference.

In terms of fitting, the boot base, rear trim and side trim have to be removed. A 10mm socket on a short extension is needed for the + termional. The negative terminal is a lever clamp. The battery clamp bar is a massive pressed piece of steel with two screws again 10mm hex.

Unusually there is a vent tube that needs to be plugged into one side of the battery.

While I was there I greased up 4 earth connectors and 4 off mega fuses and their connectors (they sit on top of the + terminal). There was some slight corrosion already present.

photos

Regards
G
pclark   
Thu May 03 2012, 08:09am
Member No: #3
A vent tube is necessary if, as on the C6 the battery is in the passenger compartment rather than under the bonnet. I remember my Xsara Picasso had a vent tube as the battery is under the passenger seat (right hand drive car).
Tjensen   
Sat Oct 20 2012, 01:00pm
Member No: #954
Is it adviseable to charge the battery from the posts under the bonnet ?

And can I connect a charger there while changig the battery in the boot (actually the manual can be read that way)
C6Dave   
Sat Oct 20 2012, 05:22pm

Member No: #1
Yes you can connect the charger on the front terminals in the engine bay
Website
magicands   
Mon Oct 22 2012, 06:56pm
Member No: #1021
According to info that I have sourced the current replacement battery for a C6 is ;

Varta H3 Silver Dynamic.
100ah
830 cold cranking amps
length 353mm
Width 175mm
Height 190mm
ETN 600 402 083

Price is around £95-£98 on eBay delivered.
I hope this info helps but do check before purchasing to ensure it will fit the space allocated in the boot?

Best wishes,
Gary
Website
gmerry   
Mon Oct 22 2012, 09:25pm
Gary, I presume the source you quote is my post of April 27th quoting Varta H3 100 amphour which has been doing its job very nicely since that date ( and of course it's a puuurfect fit!)

Regards
G
FCM   
Mon Oct 22 2012, 09:42pm
Member No: #866
If it was the battery that caused the problem (see thread about starting problems in France), mine (assuming it was the original) lasted about three years.

FCM
magicands   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 11:44am
gmerry wrote ...

Gary, I presume the source you quote is my post of April 27th quoting Varta H3 100 amphour which has been doing its job very nicely since that date ( and of course it's a puuurfect fit!)

Regards
G

Hi there, yes, but I went and double checked and it still returned with the Varta H3, you are correct though as sellers are quoting the Varta E38 (100) Silver Dynamic which has a much reduced amperage and cold cranking.
Im of a similar opinion to you, the bigger the better and if it fits the space then go for it.
I would definitely purchase the H3 with 100ah output.
Website
gmerry   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 06:39pm
There's no "if". It does fit.

Regards
G
magicands   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 05:18pm
Yes it does fit and in my opinion is the CORRECT replacement for a C6 at about £100 as compared with a Citroen OEM at £200.
Its a no brainer!!!!
Website
Trainman   
Tue Nov 06 2012, 10:11am

Member No: #86
Well, It looks like I'm about to join this club, Had a flat battery the other day and managed to get it started, but, well a bit of a ball ache, anyway same thing again this morning, Saturday and Sunday saw me driving over 200 miles so should have a fully charged battery.

I will get the alternator checked later and then off battery shopping..........Oh the excitement........
Stealth   
Tue Nov 06 2012, 07:35pm
Member No: #986
So Trainman,

Was there still enough power remaining for the driver's side window to still drop by the required amount to avoid damage as you opened your door?

I'd imagine the economy mode is clever enough to assure power for that function, as a last resort, as long as the battery isn't totally flat.

My car was built Nov 2007 but not registered till Feb 2009 and it doesn't have a Varta battery, so I'm guessing that after such a long time in bond, the battery was replaced in Australia at the time of sale. Or, previous owner replaced it at some stage (can't tell as, unhelpfully, the date tags on the battery haven't been removed - they range from 2009 - 2011.

I'm thinking about trying to order the correct Varta (and Varta's website doesn't appear to supply Australia) now to avoid shattering a window when the inevitable D-day comes.

Incidentally, apparently 8 C6s were sent to New Zealand in 2008 and none of them sold due to the GFC. So they were returned to Australia where they were happily snapped up.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club