C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

C6 Kerbed rim - [%*^#@!]

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
michaelb   
Fri Mar 12 2010, 01:23pm
Member No: #14
I hate kerbed rims. I'm quite fussy about keeping them spic and span; my last car was traded in (for a pittance) with five gleaming intact rims as good as the day they left the factory eight years previously.

Now, not even eight months into C6 ownership I noticed this morning that I've managed to scuff two spokes of my near-side front. What's even more annoying is I know I must have done it on my own kerb around my parking space in the garage on my last trip and I didn't feel anything. The car is so heavy and well-insulated that I must have grazed it off the corner of my kerb without even knowing. [%*^#@!].

I'm going to investigate some way to line the kerb, or fit a timber fillet to prevent the wheel reaching the concrete upstand.

I've never had any dealings with repair places. Has anyone any tips, any do's or don'ts? Do they have to take the tyre off the rim to touch them up?
tonyrome   
Fri Mar 12 2010, 02:32pm
Member No: #15
I know what you mean about kerbed rims, Michael, 18s are easy to catch. Really annoying. The 17s have a bit more protection from the higher profile tyres, of course. I know a really good place, in Norfolk, and they require the wheels sans tyres. They shot-blast and powdercoat them, so they look like new again. I'm not sure if it's possible to simply 'touch them up' but I have a feeling the results would be less than perfect.
Franglaisman   
Fri Mar 12 2010, 03:33pm
Member No: #66
Michael,

Bummer mate

I don't know which part of London you're in, but you could call Style Dynamix on 0208 561 0001 (mention Brian Burrows) . . . their wheel refurbs are excellent - just like new.

Regards,

Brian
C6Dave   
Fri Mar 12 2010, 04:18pm

Member No: #1
It usually means just breaking the bead odd the rim, not the whole tyre removal

Expect to pay from around £45 upwards to get it done. Halfords etc. charge around £70-£80 per wheel

Companies like 'Chips Away' will also do wheel refurbs, but so can any paint shop to be fair

From the factory there simply primed and painted, not powder coated so getting that done to 1 wheel might look odd

Paint Code is EVT with grey primer BTW.

If it's only minor surface scratching you might get away by rubbing them down and painting, then lacquering with an airbrush
Website
Owen Snell   
Fri Mar 12 2010, 05:27pm
Member No: #58
Some tyres have a rim protection strip so the tyre protrudes slightly to prevent the rim from rubbing on the kerb. The probably means trawling through tyre company web sites to find out who does this on the correct size tyre for the C6.
C6Dave   
Fri Mar 12 2010, 07:10pm

Member No: #1
The factory fit Michelins have them and so do the Conti's on my wifes 207cc, but it hasn't stopped her hitting the kerb 5 times, she has actually taken chunks out of the kerb protection strip
Website
michaelb   
Fri Mar 12 2010, 08:58pm
Thanks for the advice guys.

Rim protection wouldn't have helped me this time. It wasn't the rim I caught but the face of the spokes
michaelb   
Mon Mar 15 2010, 01:45pm
Since starting this thread I've been paying closer attention to other cars' rims and I'm depressed to see that the convex design of the Roccastrada rims is quite common. When you look around at other cars parked on the street, yes, they too are full of kerb marks where their convex wheel rims make contact with kerbs before their tyres.

What a stupid design.

Ped   
Sat Aug 28 2010, 08:58pm
Member No: #82
Michael,

Did you get anything done in the end? I buggered up my offside rear today and was looking for a place to repair them..

ped
Ped   
Fri Sep 10 2010, 05:51pm
Member No: #82
Well I just had mine done. They look great now, I had both offside rims done as the previous owner had kerbed the front a little. The nearside ones were perfect, though.

£70 for the rear and £60 for the front.

ped
michaelb   
Fri Sep 10 2010, 07:10pm
I think I'll be waiting until I sell the car to have them done as I'm only likely to pick up more.

The scratches don't disturb me - they're hidden by the dirt
Stealth   
Wed Oct 03 2012, 06:46am
Member No: #986
and... for the peanut gallery in Australia,

I've just been quoted $120 by a local smash repairer, but the entire wheel will be resprayed. Have noted the paint code from C6 Dave's above post so I'll let you know how it turns out.
nickyg   
Mon Jul 08 2013, 08:28pm
Member No: #100
Hi guys,

Just to breath a little life back into this subject... What would people's opinions on having the stock 18" wheels refurbished with hyper silver.

I use them now as winter wheels and am getting the 20" summer kahn rsx diamonds refurbished (in hyper silver, as the diamond cut face is nigh impossible to rejuvenate).

Thinking it might make sense to do the 8 of them all together in the same hyper silver.

The comparatively large surface area of the 18" stock wheels might make for too "blingy" a finish, though..

Thoughts?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club