C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Diesel Additive for DPF Filter not Required for C6

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Thu Nov 19 2015, 04:34pm
Member No: #1163
You can actually get closer into the job with the bumper off, Dave!
gmerry   
Thu Nov 19 2015, 05:57pm
Member No: #21
For the bumper off, have plenty of soft padding to rest the bumper on (no scratches).

There are M6 securing screws that will probably snap off: have a sharp 5mm cobalt drill and M6 thread tap to hand to make good.

Regards
G

PS, these cars improve to a better than factory condition with careful maintenance!
gmerry   
Fri Nov 20 2015, 09:53am
Hi 321dave, echo e3Steve advice and...

when you change out the HID bulbs do a little reading up from this forum and approach very slowly.

There is a plastic ring that holds together the bulb, the wiring connector and the red/black ignitor thing that sits on the end of the bulb. When you rotate the ring, it will eject the cable connector - you may not even notice.
Do the actual bulb change inside in very good light with the headlight assembly in front of you (say on a table or bench). Keep the other headlight as a reference. Its actually quite tricky to get it all together so don't rush this part of the job and IMHO don't try the actual bulb change with the headlight assembly mounted to the car.

Just my opinion
G
gbl   
Fri Nov 20 2015, 12:12pm
Member No: #936
Hi gmerry: The cable connector actually ejects when rotating the "red/black ignitor thing", not when rotating the plastic ring.

I replaced both bulbs successfully with the headlights in situ (the LDS reservoir was removed).

Access is still very awkward, and it was really difficult to balance and maintain the new bulb in the exact correct spot while twisting the plastic ring back on. There is no spring action or similar to hold the bulb - it just hangs there really loose until secured by the plastic ring.

A small dot of white tipp-ex on the black plastic part of the bulb helped me to visually check that it stayed in the correct position.

So it can be done with extreme patience and steady hands. But I agree that it may be a safer path to success to remove the headlight units.

gmerry   
Fri Nov 20 2015, 02:47pm
Hi great that the forum shares the joys of ownership. Given that this is a very tricky job that an owner may only perform once in their lifetime, bulb changing needs to be approached with the right pre meditation and Zen! Thanks gbl for correction on what disconnects what - nothing at all like a halogen bulb change.
321dave   
Fri Nov 20 2015, 03:42pm
Member No: #614
gmerry wrote ...

Hi great that the forum shares the joys of ownership. Given that this is a very tricky job that an owner may only perform once in their lifetime, bulb changing needs to be approached with the right pre meditation and Zen! Thanks gbl for correction on what disconnects what - nothing at all like a halogen bulb change.

Thanks Guys, brilliant sharing of help and tips!! I think I wouldn't have attempted the front suspension work recently if it wasn't for the help from everyone on the forum. I think the C6 will survive because the forum is very rich with very good advice.

I start timing belt tomorrow morning, and I'll keep everyone interrested posted on what I find. To be honest the car is going very well! I'm a bit nervous the surgery doesn't screw up something. But the belt change is getting very necessary now, just passed 125000mls and heading fast for 130000mls, but enjoying the car everyday.
321dave   
Fri Nov 20 2015, 10:04pm
321dave wrote ...

gmerry wrote ...

Thanks Guys, brilliant sharing of help and tips!! I think I wouldn't have attempted the front suspension work recently if it wasn't for the help from everyone on the forum. I think the C6 will survive because the forum is very rich with very good advice.

I start timing belt tomorrow morning, and I'll keep everyone interrested posted on what I find. To be honest the car is going very well! I'm a bit nervous the surgery doesn't screw up something. But the belt change is getting very necessary now, just passed 125000mls and heading fast for 130000mls, but enjoying the car everyday.

I just thought of something Steve, when you did your timing belt recently, did you fit new bolts to the pulleys and tensioner? As the kit doesn't contain any. Or can they be reuse?

Thanks again
e3steve   
Sat Nov 21 2015, 09:47am
gbl wrote ...

Hi gmerry: The cable connector actually ejects when rotating the "red/black ignitor thing", not when rotating the plastic ring.

I replaced both bulbs successfully with the headlights in situ (the LDS reservoir was removed).

Access is still very awkward, and it was really difficult to balance and maintain the new bulb in the exact correct spot while twisting the plastic ring back on. There is no spring action or similar to hold the bulb - it just hangs there really loose until secured by the plastic ring.

A small dot of white tipp-ex on the black plastic part of the bulb helped me to visually check that it stayed in the correct position.

So it can be done with extreme patience and steady hands. But I agree that it may be a safer path to success to remove the headlight units.

Personally, I'd rather remove the front bumper (piece o' cake), after which it's a breeze to remove the headlamp ass'ys and do the job in full view and on the bench/kitchen counter. Especially if inside the headlamp is unfamiliar territory!

Removing the LDS res. is a messy affair and a bit of a faff...
e3steve   
Sat Nov 21 2015, 09:52am
321dave wrote ...

I just thought of something Steve, when you did your timing belt recently, did you fit new bolts to the pulleys and tensioner? As the kit doesn't contain any. Or can they be reuse?

Thanks again
I re-used all fasteners, Dave. No new ones are included. My gast is still flabbered over the fact that I had one M6x40 hex-head machine screw left over...
321dave   
Sat Nov 21 2015, 12:28pm
e3steve wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

Thanks again
I re-used all fasteners, Dave. No new ones are included. My gast is still flabbered over the fact that I had one M6x40 hex-head machine screw left over...

Thanks Steve, I'll reuse them. That's grand. I was wondering if they were torqued they mightened be reusable, but I guess they aren't really.
gmerry   
Sat Nov 21 2015, 04:32pm
Hi e3steve, did you make a special tool to lock the crankshaft? Apparently the access is tricky and it needs a tool with a very long handle to get it in position????.

Regards
G
e3steve   
Sat Nov 21 2015, 05:22pm
gmerry wrote ...

Hi e3steve, did you make a special tool to lock the crankshaft? Apparently the access is tricky and it needs a tool with a very long handle to get it in position????.

Regards
G
Hi Gordon, no need to lock the crankshaft; there are six M8 reverse-Torx-headed screws which hold the pulley in place, and they crack off easily enough. I used a 60cm breaker-bar and a bi-hexagonal Imperial-size socket.

The same breaker-bar with a 21mm(?) socket was used to rotate the crankshaft.
321dave   
Sun Nov 22 2015, 05:59pm
e3steve wrote ...

gmerry wrote ...

Regards
G
Hi Gordon, no need to lock the crankshaft; there are six M8 reverse-Torx-headed screws which hold the pulley in place, and they crack off easily enough. I used a 60cm breaker-bar and a bi-hexagonal Imperial-size socket.

The same breaker-bar with a 21mm(?) socket was used to rotate the crankshaft.

Hi Steve, I think I found my coolant leak, today while starting on timing belt strip down I noticed what appears to water or dampness on the top of the rad cassette (I think that's what it's called) I'm thinking its best to replace the rad and continue on with timing belt water pump change.

Can't seem to attach a photo at the moment, pity I'll try again in a few minutes

Anyway, I'll describe it best I can. Where the plastic top meets the metal rad it seems to be wet around that area.
C6Dave   
Sun Nov 22 2015, 06:30pm

Member No: #1
Anyway, I'll describe it best I can. Where the plastic top meets the metal rad it seems to be wet around that area.

Happened to me on the old C4, the seal between the top 'tank' and the core fails.

Either get it re cored professionally, or replace it completely.

Last thing you want is an overheated C6 engine due to coolant loss..........
Website
321dave   
Sun Nov 22 2015, 09:50pm
Admin Dave wrote ...

Happened to me on the old C4, the seal between the top 'tank' and the core fails.

Either get it re cored professionally, or replace it completely.

Last thing you want is an overheated C6 engine due to coolant loss..........

Thanks Dave, I'm going to get a new rad I think. At least I know where I think it's leaking. Seems likely. I bought all the other usually suspects. Also the swirl value clip that Steve mentioned earlier( holds the swirl valve small bore pipes together) were already broken before I laid a finger on them. Someone else before me broke them and just left them under the sound insulation cover. Wonder what else I'll find. Found some disturbing looking dried foam coloured material near the heads? Will try putting images up again later on.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club