C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Front Suspension strut COLLAPSE

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
mark28   
Tue Jan 10 2012, 12:43pm
Member No: #102
There were some XMs that this happened to but it was down to corrosion. ( 1990's)
gmerry   
Tue Jan 10 2012, 02:02pm
Member No: #21
Some say rust, some say corrosion. Same thing?
regards
G
Paschal   
Tue Jan 10 2012, 02:23pm
Member No: #375
I'm not sure that salt really makes a significant diffference I mean how much water gets sprayed up there? Galvanic cell just neeeds electrical connection moisture and dissimilar metals. So I guess we've got mild steel and high carbon steel to start with. Moisture, well thats in the nice humid air so my guess is that we could be relying on paint to break the electrical connection and maybe installation of the circlip could get the ball rolling there.

If my supposition is correct then its just a matter of time. I suspect that I am wrong. Can anyone confirm nature of change to part?

Also as for XM's I've had 5, the first was '91 reg which I bought in maybe '96 or '97 and the last '98 which I bought in '08. I've replaced 1 strut top and will soon need to replace another but of course you can see when they're getting near to their end. I also understand that the XM strut top was modified to prevent the strut from passing up. Anyone got better detail for that?
neal2175ds   
Tue Jan 10 2012, 03:11pm
Member No: #487
Hi Paschal, do you think you are likely to follow this up with Citroen or anyone else? It seems to have occurred very early in the cars life unlike on the XM's.
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 10 2012, 03:34pm

Member No: #1
@Paschal without physically comparing the origin and new part numbered items (which I doubt anyone has) then it's probably very hard to say what has changed
Website
travlician   
Sun Jan 29 2012, 02:07am
Member No: #350
Doubt no more Dave! I got my new strut as the old one was leaking and compared the circlips that hold the suspension cylinder in place. I noticed two changes between these parts (old = 5271 J0, new = 5271 L8): the circlip on the new one is much deeper anchored and the dust cover is no longer helt above by a piece of plastic held in place by a circlip type metal spring but by a piece of foam.

Maybe the foam also avoids water and debris reaching the circlip.

So apparently Citroen did have some issues with the circlip but not enough to do a recall. Attached pictures of the old and new.

Paschal   
Thu Feb 23 2012, 10:41pm
Member No: #375
Ok I've had a really lengthy discussion with Citroen Customer Care and it appears that they have no interest in helping me with the cost of repairs. Car is out of warranty, cover for suspension cylinders ends at 60 months. Good bye.

I have to say that I'm completely dissappointed and I have absolutely lost confidence in the brand, it seems that C6 customers dont count for much.

It appears that C6 was never intended to be a volume seller and to my mind that means that Citroen's commitment to producing luxury cars is at an end making it the end of more than one era!

I asked if Citroen had been in touch with VOSA about the failure and while the initial answer was yes I believe that they have not. As the matter relates to safety I feel that it should be reported. Can anyone tell me how to go about submitting a report?
gmerry   
Thu Feb 23 2012, 11:12pm
Paschal, PM me and I will pass the contacts on to you.

I wrote to them about the appalling design for the lower ball joints.

What was that re the 60month warranty for the cylinders, does that also apply to the spheres.

Like you I would not be putting money into say a DS5 given these kind of problems and more importantly the poor reponse.

Regards
G

Leo   
Fri Feb 24 2012, 09:41am
Member No: #94
Thanks for the update

Is there any ongoing maintenance that we should be doing to avaoid this issue anyone?

Leo
gmerry   
Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:45am
Leo, "preventative maintenance" would appear to consist of pre-emptive change out of the cylinder for the later design 5271L8 and 5271L7 as per Travlican's post. Note these retail for about £335 each.

I'm coming to the conclusion that without the change I would not rely on the car for example an extended foreign holiday, hence car is not much use to me without a fix/upgrade.

Regards
G
Leo   
Fri Feb 24 2012, 01:54pm
Member No: #94
OK, so normal preventative maintenance is not possible.

What is in fact required is the replacement of old struts with newly designed struts at considerable cost.

That, to me, suggests that the original struts were inadequately designed and are not fit for their intended purpose and that Citroen are aware of the fact.

I go a bit further than being concerned at taking the car on a foreign holiday - if what happened to Paschall's car happened to mine at high speed with the family aboard, then I dread to think of the possible consquences.

I believe that we, as a group, should now be making known to the statutoy authorities in the UK (with copy to Citroen) the fact that the incident with Paschall's car has occurred and pressing them for action before a more serious incident occurs. A responsible manufacturer would recall the affected cars and fix them.

What do others think, or are we happy to drive about and take our chances?

Leo.
theguardian   
Fri Feb 24 2012, 02:16pm
Member No: #645
im with you on this we leo ive had loads of problems with my c6 and mine is only 2yrs & 4mths old now this matter has come up i will be asking my dealer to check mine before i take it back from them
regards ron
Rich   
Fri Feb 24 2012, 02:32pm
Member No: #542
I'm with you too. I do roughly 25,000 miles a year in mine. I have had my struts done last October but i have no idea if they are the new versions or they just replaced them with old stock. It is worrying doing so many miles wondering if they will hold up or not. I haven't had any problems in 15,000 miles since but as you say, its chancing it....
gmerry   
Fri Feb 24 2012, 04:34pm
Sorry guys, Citroen have been penny pinching to date with design defects and quality control issues on the C6 and I don't think this is going to suddenly change.

I had a failed lower ball joint (on MOT) and they argued about replacing it instead of just getting on with it.

So I think one has to decide for one self if this is a chance one is prepared to take or not and if not how much are you prepared to pay for it.

Regards
G
neal2175ds   
Fri Feb 24 2012, 08:57pm
Member No: #487
I'm a massive Citroen enthusiast and im prepared to take the rough with the smooth on these cars because they ARE wonderfull and i admire Citroen for building them. They must have made a loss on each and every one. But with a heavy heart I agree we should take this further as its a safety issue that scares the hell out of me. I don't believe we have the skills to make a judgement and obviously its difficult for Citroen to take a purely subjective view.

The only fair way is via the statutory authorities. This way we will know if it's a safety issue due to pore design, manufacturing or if it's, with due respect, down to owner abuse. I say this because I once met a chap who had previously owned an XM when they were current and he told me how he relished showing people how great the suspension was by driving full pelt over sleeping policemen and speed bumps. Most of us bought these cars second hand... Who knows what the previous person put the car through.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club