C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

[%*^#@!] ball joints again

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
cruiserphil   
Tue Jan 10 2012, 06:39pm

Member No: #38
Forgot to mention car (2006) has 95000 km but as I'm the second owner I can't comment on the terrain it frequented over most of its life so far. Interestingly the 2007 car with the same km's has no issue with wishbones at all.

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Wed Jan 11 2012, 09:10am
Member No: #21
Hi Phil, thanks for your great write-up.

Looks to me as though pre-emptive changeout of the rear wishbone bush might be a good idea (at around 4-5 year period).

Might be as well to do this when sorting the suspension "circlip", once we know what the problem details are for that one.

Bit of a shame that the left driveshaft has to be removed as presumably this means the auto gearbox has to be drained and refilled?

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Fri Jan 13 2012, 10:46am

Thanks G.

You're fine with the left drive shaft removal as the oil level in the gearbox is below the seal. The seal is not suitable for sealing an oil reservoir but seals oil splash (is labyrinth the term?). So no need to drain. As regards the long RH shaft you get away without releasing the intermediate bearing. So the job can be done without access to under the car - just access from the wheel arches.

On the sensor front I've ordered a replacement RH. They're relatively inexpensive. When fitted I'll try a height reprogramme again.

Regards,

Phil C
cruiserphil   
Sun Jan 15 2012, 07:43pm

I posted the solution to the height sensor programming in a new thread - Click Here -
robin-hood   
Mon Jan 30 2012, 12:32pm
Member No: #377
Hi all,

I've changed all ball joints including the lower one on mine few months ago, and since, it's far better but There is still a bit of vibration or judder I can feel on steering wheel, at low speeds on bad surfaces. Do you think it's part of the mix soft suspension + low profile tires that makes it ? Do you have this kind of issue ? I bought recently all suspension upper leg axes bushings, I'll change them soon but I'm not sure it's coming from here. Maybe it's just normal on poor surfaces. if you have an opinion !
gmerry   
Mon Jan 30 2012, 03:47pm
A recent poster commented that the lower wishbone rear bush (the one in an aluminium block) can also cause suspension noise if it is worn. Once you have changed this, I guess you might be into looking at the software/damper settings.

PS, did you get any photos you can post showing the work you did on the upper suspension pivots. Will help someone.

Regards
G
bdeithrick   
Wed Feb 01 2012, 06:36am
Member No: #70
@phillC

Phil did the rear bush look the same as the one you took off, my wishbone replacement was done with wrong bushes at rear because I could not get the right part from Citroen or GSF parts.
Yours look like the right part with the hole in line with the centre and rubber bush at 50mm.
Where did you get these wishbones as mine have 10mm spacers fitted cus off wrong size. I have posted on the matter before

Ps mine are shot again with wonderful knocking and banging so have to buy this week !
Byron
cruiserphil   
Wed Jun 20 2012, 04:48pm

Lads,

While searching for an alternator pulley I discovered that the lower wishbone bushes are available as separate parts - but not from Citroen. See this link for example of two different makes: - Click Here -. And check the prices!! (The Lemforder bush is for the upper wishbone). The lower wishbones are a substantial piece of metal and I thought it was a shame that they were destined for the bin. I have salvaged my spare wishbones and intend to refurbish them. Hope this is of help.

Regards,

Phil C.
C6Dave   
Wed Jun 20 2012, 06:00pm

Member No: #1
Nice find and should prove very useful
Website
gmerry   
Thu Jun 21 2012, 07:24am
Hi Phil, I had assumed that the forward rubber bush, part of the lower wishbone) was bonded into the large metal casting (boomerang shaped lower wishbone). Have you now figured out that this can be replaced? I too always thought it was rather wasteful to have to replace the metal part when it is only the rubber that has worn out.

Regards
G
gmerry   
Thu Jun 21 2012, 07:52am
Hi, I've attached a photo of a Peugeot 407 lower wishbone (same design as C6).

The main pivot bush (circled in red in the photo) appears to be bonded to a metal sleeve which in turn is pressed into the wishbone arm.

Is this bush and sleeve the one that is now available as a spare? Any ideas on how the old sleeve is removed from the suspension arm. I know from work on classics that often the rubber part is burnt out with a torch, the old sleeve has a radial cut (or two) and the new sleeve complete with new rubber bush pressed in. I'm guessing this might take 20-30 Tonnes of press force, anybody done this.

Regards
G
nickyg   
Thu Jun 21 2012, 09:29am
Member No: #100
Phil, nice one! .... I had just popped on here to post that very info! I'm gearing up for a big overhaul and was pleasantly surprised to find there was a possible solution in these parts, negating the need to bin the wishbone (as you mentioned) over that rear bush.
Gmerry, I'm quite certain the centre bush you enquired about is listed as a part number on the suspension diagram, wheras the rear bush is not.

A word of caution, though, I note another Irish forum member acquired the rear bush from a parts supermarket a while back but found the dimensions were not quite identical and had to fashion small spacers to bring it right. (edit: sorry, he's been here in person earlier today to share that experience!)

If I get to it before someone else does, will certainly let you all know if these particular afermarket rear bushes are identical or not.

Nick
Gobxoy   
Thu Jun 21 2012, 10:42am
Member No: #786
gmerry When I part owned a garage, we would use a 20ton press. Getting them out is slightly more difficult than pressing them in, have used a large vice as a press,,,,,,,, (WARNING CAN B%*//ER the vice screw thread.)

Can burn them out and then chisel the steel out by defoming it enough to drop out.
(your a smart guy so expect you knew or worked out)

You could also get a hole saw and drill out the rubber part, and then chisel, I have seen putting a hacksaw cut, in the remaing steel, being carefull not to cut the wishbone, it't not nessasary to cut the steel right though to wishbone anyway just enough to weaken it for chiseling.

Hope this helps???? if not no harm done??????

gmerry   
Thu Jun 21 2012, 01:01pm
Hi, a summary and some further information:-

Quinton Hazel (QH) list part numbers EMS8315 for the Lower Wishbone front flexible mount and EMS8314 for the Lower Wishbone rear flexible mount (the one inside an aluminium carrier). In the QH catalogue, there are no photos of either part so anything returned on a google search will just be a sub for a different part and will look wrong. The QH catalogue lists the OEM part numbers as the entire wishbone, complete with front and rear flexible mounts, specific to left and right fitment. This is consistent with PSA not offerring these flexible mounts as separate spares.

Keep in mind that the wishbones complete are not that expensive in absolute terms. Certainly the cost of removing the old mounts, cleaning up the wishbones and pressing in new mounts would exceed the cost of a new wishbone if paying Citroen dealer prices for the labour. Personally I like the "green" aspect of just replacing the worn out part.

Look forward to some photos and dimesnions of the parts, plus a write up on the job of removing, refurbishing and replacing these wishbones.

Regards
G
citrohanc6   
Mon Nov 19 2012, 08:17pm
Member No: #329
gmerry wrote ...

Ball Joint now fitted complete with grease fitting. So long as this in the bottom centre and facing either forwards or backwards there is plenty of room for the grease fitting and access to get the gun connected.

Regards
G

Gerry,
I'm considering grease nipples also:
Did you fit this ball joint with a socket over the grease nipple and a hammer to tap the item on the spigot?
What puzzles me is the building-up of pressure once one uses the gun. Will it shot the seal on top of the bearing What is your experience?
(Ordered the joints saterday)
Regards
Winus

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club