Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

You need to take your C6 to Wicklow

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
michaelb   
Fri Aug 19 2011, 03:16pm
Member No: #14
Some of you will know I've long been critical of certain aspects of the C6; too much wind noise at high speed, not as frugal as its competitors, crummy radio etc.

However all that pales into insignificance, I've just spent several days experiencing C6 bliss on Irish roads.

First you have to understand how bad Irish roads are. Yes there are new motorways but most of the other roads are hard work. They're narrow, twisty, sudden dips and rises and quite frequently laid over boggy ground which means they subside in all sorts of horrible unexpected ways and places, cambers all over the place.

We had one particular day which really made the C6 shine. First we visited friends in the south of Wicklow. I was happy to discover many of the main Wicklow roads have been resurfaced, which was nice because 45 profile tyres do not like broken surfaces, but they still suffer from horrible subsidence, the C6 was able to take them in its stride. Gripping like I've never experienced on the twisties, changing direction like a racehorse, surging from corner to corner on a wave of torque, floating over the bumps but never losing contact with the tarmac even over the most violent sudden dips and crests.

I've experienced Maseratis, Ferraris, Integrales, other Lancias, Alfas of every colour, Merc SLs, several 5 series BMs, and countless other cars over the years and I can't think of any that could have tucked away these roads like the C6 did. I doubt any would have been quicker and certainly none would have been as comfortable.

Then that same evening we were out for dinner in Malahide and had five-up in the C6. Coming back late at night with sparse traffic around I was tempted to "enjoy" the dual carriageways and roundabouts. Boy that car can really attack a roundabout. The levels of grip and poise are exceptional. I can't believe any other five seater bus would be that much fun.

The C6 is a decent motorway performer. It can gobble up motorway miles without a problem. But if you want to appreciate what it can really do you should take it to the challenging twisties of Wicklow.

The scenery is nice too
Ped   
Fri Aug 19 2011, 04:52pm
Member No: #82
Excellent little write up. Enjoyed reading that - nice to hear from happy owners. I just drove mine 400 miles from Edenburgh to home and wasn't in the least bit tired on my arrival. It felt like I had been 10 mins when it was over 6 hours.
ciao_chao   
Sat Aug 20 2011, 07:03pm
Member No: #518
I don't know why but despite knowing the car can handle it, I just don't feel the confidence with her. It's doesn't seem to go like telepathy (not mine at least), so compared to a smaller car I don't feel as ready to blast the 6 on the B roads.

Personally, I sense the car actually says to me, 'get comfy, relax, and let me do the driving' which really is a pleasure on the motorways.
ChrisHunter   
Sun Aug 21 2011, 10:13pm
Member No: #188
>bliss ..

yep, that's our experience, too ... eats the miles, rough & smooth, straight & windy, up & down, fast & slow, open-road, following & overtaking, always comfortable, front & back, always fresh, quiet, low-drama, never have to shout, convenient, always a pleasure, even in jams, even when rummaging in the boot ...
Chevrons   
Thu Aug 25 2011, 05:03pm
Member No: #85
I've had my C6 for 14months now and done 36,000 (trouble free) miles the length and breadth of Britain and Ireland.
'Racehorse', 'waves of torque' and 'attacking' become superlatives I think. The C6 is a little under-powered (and under-torqued), too heavy and too long.
No, to really appreciate it, drive the M74 to Glasgow or the A30 to Truro on a quiet day.
Ped   
Thu Aug 25 2011, 06:32pm
Member No: #82
Chevrons wrote ...

The C6 is a little under-powered (and under-torqued), too heavy and too long.

Funny, but I wouldn't call it any of those things. I think the 2.7, at least, is well matched and balanced to the car's manner. Too long? Anything shorter just wouldn't be a C6!
ciao_chao   
Fri Aug 26 2011, 10:48am
Member No: #518
I think chevron has a point. Too heavy...definitely, the Jag XJ (with FR layout) and Audi A8 (with Quattro) both manage to be lighter.

Too long...yes but that's why you bought it!

Underpowered/torqued? Well Jaguar used the same engine in the X350. I imagine the gearbox in the C6 is just not quite as clever.
Chevrons   
Fri Aug 26 2011, 09:10pm
Member No: #85
Ped, ciao_chao,

My comments on length and weight are in context with the interesting origin of this thread (as is my whole comment above).

The length and weight are two of the components that make the C6 a great car: a long-legged, comfortable, quiet limousine.

Under powered and torqued are in comparison with the C6's peers - i guess that's why the revised model has 240bhp and 330lb ft
bdeithrick   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 03:20pm
Member No: #70
Wicklow will only break your C6 , stay away. !

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club