Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

Disaster!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
pclark   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 08:59am
Member No: #3
I'm sad to announce that the small UK 'stock' of 3.0Hdi C6's has now been reduced by one. following an accident a couple of weeks ago my C6 has been declared a 'total loss' by the insurer.

I don't really want to go into the circumstances or details of the accident on here but suffice it to say it involved 'clipping' a Vauxhall Corsa and ending up in a hedge at the bottom of a ditch on a main road having torn up and run over a small tree. There was nobody hurt which is the most important thing. I had some bruises and cuts on my legs from the knee air bag as I was on the way to the gym and was wearing shorts. As well as the knee air bag both 'curtain' air bags deployed as well as the left rear seat one. The car didn't seem that bad at first until the recovery truck driver dragged the car out of the hedge and I saw that the left front wheel had been almost torn off. I couldn't see the underside of the car of course but as there was a small tree stump of about 4 inch diameter behind the car which stood about 2 feet tall I assume there must have been extensive damage to the underside. I'll post some pictures when I work out how to do it. I'm currently driving a Vauxhall Astra 1.8 automatic provided by the insurers.

After much thought I've decided not to get another C6. I can't really afford to order another new 3.0Hdi (if that is still possible) given the gap between the purchase price and what my car was worth at the time of the crash, and there are no used 3.0's realistically available. I don't think I'd be happy with a 2.2Hdi Exclusive or an older 2.7. I think the C6 is a superb car which I greatly enjoyed and I was planning on keeping mine for a long time but now change has been forced on me I do fancy something a bit different.

I'm moving house soon to much nearer my place of work and I've ordered a new DS4 DSport 200THP which I'll be getting on a '61' plate in September. In the meantime a friend is lending me his Toyota Avensis once the insurers take back the Astra.

I'll still keep being involved with this forum as enjoy it but I'm sure I'll be making more use of my C4 Owners membership (I joined a while ago).

Philip
michaelb   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 09:14am
Member No: #14
Sorry to hear your news, but I'm glad no one was hurt; that's the main thing: cars are only metal and plastic and much as we love them they are disposable.

Good luck with your search.
pclark   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 09:52am
Some photo's as promised:

C6Dave   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 10:09am

Member No: #1
Yes sorry to read your post Phil and it looks like the safety features did their job in protecting you.

What I can't see though in your pictures is the bonnet 'popped'

I would have thought that the pyrotechnics would have fired with such a hard front end hit on a tree, albeit a smallish one?

No doubt the car will end up in a breakers yard somewhere once the claim is finalised, with the salvageable parts being offered for sale.
Website
pclark   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 10:36am
I don't think the bonnet 'popped'. The main driver and passenger air bags didn't deploy either I don't think the final impact was hard enough to trigger them. The driver's seatbelt pre-tensioner operated though.
Trainman   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 02:02pm

Member No: #86
Phillip,

As you say nobody was hurt and that is the main thing, but I've got to say you Yorkshire chaps don't do things by halves.....

Good luck with the DS4, I'll see you soon
cruiserphil   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 03:33pm

Member No: #38
Philip,

Also sorry to hear your news but glad everyone intact.

Regards,

Phil C.
ciao_chao   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 04:01pm
Member No: #518
I'm sorry to hear that, but most important thing is you walked away!

That said, this has got me thinking, is the engine salvageable? And hypothetically could you convert a 2.7 into a 3.0?
bdeithrick   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 04:35pm
Member No: #70
Sorry for your loss.
I would be devastated, because you never get the full amount for direct replacement . Glad nobody was harmed.
Byron
pclark   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 06:48pm
For anyone interested my insurers informed me that they have sent my C6 to Copart, a vehicle salvage company. It is at their site near Stamford Bridge, York. It is a category 'C' write off which means that the car can be repaired and returned to the road but the cost of repair exceeds a percentage of the car's value. It is due to be auctioned on 18th August.
C6Dave   
Mon Aug 15 2011, 07:04pm

Member No: #1
Where did all the grass on the scuttle come from when the bonnet didn't pop, weird.

Have to say that given the likely open market value v cost of the parts required + labour from looking at those images in the link you provided, I think the car will likely be broken for spares unless someone has the foresight to buy a very cheap high mileage C6 as a donor car (and gets the salvage at a low bid)

I say that given a recent post on a £6K p/ex offer on a C6

The more I think about it, it might not be a bad project....
Website
David Hallworth   
Tue Aug 16 2011, 09:01am

Member No: #90
I'm glad to see you walked away without any broken bones. Like everyone else has said, cars can be replaced.

When I was talking to you about your car at Wetherby this year I was really taken by it, it reminded me a lot of my C6 which I regret selling.

I'm very tempted to buy your car from the salvage company and put it under cover until I can find a C6 being broken for spare parts on eBay and buy the panels and stuff in.

David.
black_exclusive   
Thu Aug 18 2011, 01:14pm
Member No: #126
As is the norm with Copart you can't see what they make.

I did happen to look at about 11:50 this morning and it was on £3600 - this would be the minimum it made before the 'proper' auction started at 12:00.
David Hallworth   
Fri Aug 19 2011, 09:43am

Member No: #90
I was prepared to go to £2,500.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to wait and see what it finished at but it was just over the £3600 when I saw it.

David.
tonyrome   
Fri Aug 19 2011, 12:37pm
Member No: #15
As others have said, a great shame for the C6 but you're fortunate to have walked away from it unscathed. What happened? I assume it wasn't purely the other guy's fault or you would have been claiming for a replacement from his insurer.

pclark wrote ...
After much thought I've decided not to get another C6. I can't really afford to order another new 3.0Hdi given the gap between the purchase price and what my car was worth at the time of the crash

Out of interest, what was the valuation of your car?

David Hallworth wrote ...
I'm very tempted to buy your car from the salvage company and put it under cover until I can find a C6 being broken for spare parts on eBay and buy the panels and stuff in.

No need to wait for something at the breakers. The valuations of 2005/6/7 C6s are so low now that you could pick up a good condition car for £6K-£7K, use the parts you need and sell off the rest! You'd still have a very cheap 3.0HDi.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club