C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

[moved] Jacking Points/Servicing

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
mog1842   
Tue Dec 07 2010, 02:23pm
Member No: #268
So, have now had the car serviced for the first time in my ownership. Mileage 48,000, last serviced at 39,000.

Took the opportunity to have a good look at the underneath of the car whilst it was on the ramp.

Ball-joints are OK at present, but the front suspension linkage is badly designed, and it's easy to see how they can fail after low mileage.

The front offside jacking flange was already bent flat (as often with the XM), so where should the car be raised? The two points just before the flanges were used at the front, and the two rear flanges... which did not collapse under the strain.
There are no obvious strong points.

Apart from needing new front discs (£100 the pair, Brembo), the car was in good fettle and just needed routine items.

Bourne Citroen Centre carried out the work.
C6Dave   
Tue Dec 07 2010, 03:35pm

Member No: #1
Take a look at this on jacking: - Click Here -
Website
gmerry   
Tue Dec 07 2010, 06:40pm
Member No: #21
Mog, interesting post. Could you enlarge on the badly designed bit around the ball joints failing. I think I have a little rattle in drivers side of mine (21k miles only).

On the jacking front, I am dead careful not to bend the flanges and use a beam that goes under the car and picks up on the flanges with shaped/grooved blocks. - Click Here -

One of my posts has a picture. - Click Here -

Regards
G
verycleverman   
Tue Dec 07 2010, 07:10pm
Member No: #65
mog1842 wrote ...

So, have now had the car serviced for the first time in my ownership. Mileage 48,000, last serviced at 39,000.

I'm curious to know why you had the car serviced 11,000 miles/10 months early!

Pete.
Ped   
Tue Dec 07 2010, 07:52pm
Member No: #82
Just had mine serviced and 3 of my jack points are all slightly bent. Might have them put right next time but no biggie. Agree with the ball joint thing though, had both front wishbone ones replaced and just had an upper joint replaced also.
gmerry   
Tue Dec 07 2010, 08:08pm
Mog, I'm with you on getting a car serviced on aquistion, regardless of "book" required frequency. Personally, I regard the 20k interval as maximum under ideal conditions in any case.

Regards
G
Trainman   
Tue Dec 07 2010, 08:09pm

Member No: #86
Basically, The bottom ball joints are a cup, with a pivot on the bottom of the hub, water tends to run down the hub and into the ball joint. Essentially they are 2 seperate parts as oppsed to a complete unit.......if that makes sense
verycleverman   
Tue Dec 07 2010, 11:54pm
Member No: #65
gmerry wrote ...

Mog, I'm with you on getting a car serviced on aquistion, regardless of "book" required frequency. Personally, I regard the 20k interval as maximum under ideal conditions in any case.

I think you might find Mog has had his car since October 2009, so it's hardly been serviced 'on aquisition'. With regard to the 20k interval, a service is predominately an oil and filters change - the critical item being the oil. Modern synthetic oils are more than capable of withstanding a 20k interval. Can you imagine the lawsuits if they were not? The problem we face is trying to overide our natural instincts, particularly those of us who were brought up in the age of the 6000 mile SAE 20/50 oil change. Old habits, as they say, die hard. We need to put more faith in the engineers and scientists who develop machinery and lubricants; they might just know what they are doing.

Pete.
arnie   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 12:15am
Member No: #190
Just had mine serviced because i prefer to have fresh oil in over the winter. I feel this year it was justified as all these sub zero start ups must play havoc with the engine.
I also ride motorcycles and they require so much more attention so i may well be going over the top as my c6 had only done 5000miles from its last service or was it because i have always wondered if my dealer really gave it a service before i took delivery?
Arran.
C6Dave   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 08:10am

Member No: #1
@verycleverman your entitled to an opinion but Citroen do publish a revised servicing schedule for 'Severe Operating Conditions'

I'm with arnie on this one and change engine oil and filters annually regardless of the maintenance schedule
Website
gmerry   
Wed Dec 08 2010, 11:25am
Aware that this one is an old chestnut...

On the one hand, we have much better oils and materials than 1960s 6k service interval you refer to....

On the other hand, the power density and demands on the lubricant are much more severe, especially in modern EGR equipped turbo-diesel applications. If you read the full ACEA test protocols, you will be suprised as to how much oil degredation, engine wear and damage is allowed.

Personally, I always used to go for minimum servicing and worked to the letter of the manufacturer's intervals. However I got bitten on fouled up hydraulic tappets.

So for me with EGR turbo-diesels at least, I go for minimum annual changes, regardless of mileage. If there has been lots of cold trips with significant idling, then 6 monthly. Cost of an oil (using the Citroen approved spec and brand) and filter change for me is only £40 so I consider this cheap insurance.

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Fri May 27 2011, 09:33am

Member No: #38
Just referring to the bottom ball joint. I had to replace the joint on the 2007 car with about 54K miles two weeks ago.

It had a lot of slack. When I dismantled it, all the grease had been washed out and the reside looked like mud. There was nothing wrong with the sealing boot. Roller and race wise it was in a mess.

What we noticed though was when pressing on the new pivot joint that the sealing of the top boot only relies on its conact with the spigot seat on the bottom of the hub and it's not hard to imagine water getting in so it's one to watch.

I notice that from a certain RPO number Citroen have modified the hub and fitted a seal to the spigot seat to mate with the joint. I presume you would have to change the hub if you wanted to benefit from this upgrade? Any views?

Regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club