C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Jacking Options

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 12:44pm
Member No: #21
I've just changed back to summer tyres. Thought I would post these photos plus a few pointers.

Basically I don't have any confidence in the jack supplied other than as a road-side emergency aide (I guess that was the design brief).

With the car on it's highest suspension setting, there is better vertical clearance than most cars but it is surprising the amount of suspension travel even from here, before the wheels are off the ground. So yes, the suspension is very long travel.

Basically I've used a 12Tonne bottle jack. 12Tonne because the bigger the jack the greater the side loading capability. The last thing one wants is the car falling off the jack sideways. I increased the depth/width of the groove in the top of the jack so it would fit the jacking point snuggly. Don't use a trolley jack as it will put a side loading on the jacking flange. It's not that sturdy as you can see from the pics!

Hopefully this will help someone, sometime.

PS, just managed to get the valve caps off the alloy valve stems/pressure transmitters. Cleaned up with a bit of Ferrosol and a touch of Vaseline when they went back on. The corrosion was horrific.

urb   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 01:15pm
Member No: #26
I have done the same, increased the depth/width of the groove in the top of a bottle jack.

My procedure is like this:

Put the car in highest suspension setting.

Put the original jack in front jacking point then the bottle jack in the back jacking point.

Lower the suspension to normal ,the car will tip over and now I can replace both wheels simultaneously.

This is basically how to do it on a old Citroen DS, but then you only use one jack.
michaelb   
Tue Aug 16 2011, 10:05am
Member No: #14
I followed gmerry's excellent advice above and bought a 4 tonne bottle jack and cut a groove in it.

Luckily I did because even with the car on high suspension setting the jack can only be squeezed under the jacking point by offering it up groove first. I never thought about the jack's height when I bought it!

More worryingly some muppet must have used a trolley jack on the NSF jacking point in the past and it is bent up. Any advice on how to bend it down again or how to jack the car if I get a puncture, given that a four point lift won't fit in the boot.
gmerry   
Tue Aug 16 2011, 03:24pm
Michael, just drive the front wheels on to say a 1" thick plank to give that little bit more clearance for your jack (o buy a compact telescopic jack). Get the lug bent back down straight again.

Must admit I'm a little paranoid about the front jacking points: the Citroen dealer has bent mine so clearly they are of marginal strength for the weight of the car.

I now sling a beam across - under the car. It has two alloy blocks screwed on the top with very deep grooves that closely take almost the entire lifting lug. This ensures there is minimal bending loads on the jacking points and with this method no more damage. I think I posted a shot of this some time ago.

Regards
G
michaelb   
Tue Aug 16 2011, 04:50pm
Thanks G, yes, I'll try the plank trick.

I haven't actually tried it but is there enough travel in the suspension to get away without using a jack? Say you raise the car fully, put an axle stand(s) under the jacking point(s) and lower the car fully. I wonder would the wheels on the propped up side clear the ground?
gmerry   
Tue Aug 16 2011, 08:33pm
Michael, my post was 17th July 2010

- Click Here -

"Plank" needs to be a beam.

regards
G
ciao_chao   
Tue Aug 16 2011, 09:09pm
Member No: #518
That bottle jack looks quite compact. It looks like something that could be kept in the boot even for emergency.
michaelb   
Wed Aug 17 2011, 08:56am
gmerry wrote ...

Michael, my post was 17th July 2010

- Click Here -

I'd forgotten about that post. Thanks - that's a neat solution.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club