C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 front Strut replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Sat Dec 17 2011, 07:34am

Member No: #1
Salvage parts tend to sell for around 50% of the cost of new ones hear in the UK and that's presuming you can find one that hasn't been damaged or is leaking as well.

As for the 'change' description, Citroen set that out for Service Technicians to follow, but if you think it can be done without parts of it, then do it that way.
Website
travlician   
Mon Dec 19 2011, 01:23am
Member No: #350
I was searching for the part number for the right hand suspension cylinder (strut?) and got two numbers which are identical according to some sites but one is almost half the price of the other. The numbers I got are 5271J0 (the expensive part) and 5271L8 (the less expensive part). The parts list for the front suspension on this site is actually the parts list for front hub pivots and bearing and is almost identical to an older version with that name. Can anyone shed any light on this before I order the wrong part?

Will remove that leaking cylinder tomorrow morning and found out that the wheel hub needs to be moved to get enough clearance to get the front cylinder out good news is I got the driveshaft nut off which is usually the biggest issue.
C6Dave   
Mon Dec 19 2011, 07:38am

If you send me your VIN by PM - Click Here - I'll try and search for it for you
Website
C6Dave   
Mon Dec 19 2011, 01:01pm

OK based on you VIN this is what I got: (Click the image to enlarge)

5271 J0 would appear to be an updated model replacing 5271 L8
Website
travlician   
Sun Jan 29 2012, 02:29am
Just received a new from strut, since the original was leaking (heavily, 2 liters on a 7 km trip before I stopped driving it). I noticed the other side had the dust cover connection below dislodged (like the one leaking). Not knowing if this is a cause for the struts to start leaking as debris enters the seals, it seems a good idea to check and repair as it's fairly simple.

I cleaned the piston and cup in which the dustcover should be fixed, put some glue in it (metal to rubber type) and made the suspension to be fully compressed (with a jack below the lower suspension arm).

Attached is a picture that shows the dust cover being to far up, you see the bottom of the dust cover and the piston of the strut (shows black in the picture but is actually shiny metal). This is with the car supported on two stands so both front struts are fully extended and the wheel removed (duh...).

urb   
Sun Feb 05 2012, 03:32pm
Member No: #26
travlician wrote: "Just received a new from strut"
Which one did you choose the 5271J0 or 5271L8 ?

If you done the change , did you lose a lot of hydraulic oil when doing it
(was it messy) ?
travlician   
Mon Feb 06 2012, 02:44am
I got the 5271L8 since it's cheaper (227 euros ex VAT) and a newer design. To avoid losing much of the LDS, I performed the following steps:

- jack and support the car
- depressurize the hydraulic system (with Lexia)
- remove the rim
- jack the wheel (put the jack under the lower suspension arm) until the strut is fully compressed
- remove the high pressure connection and put a tap on it
- remove the jack that lifted the wheel
- replace the strut as per instructions in the workshop manual

Some fluid spilled when removing the high pressure connection but only some drops and a little more from the suspension sphere. About half a glass of fluid remained in the old suspension strut.

The job was somewhat messy, mainly because of the LDS already spilt by the old (leaking) strut that was spread all around the wheel well.
citrohanc6   
Sat Nov 02 2013, 08:58pm
Member No: #329
maybe good to mention the practice to fill the new strut with lds before replacing as the truts have no return line.
Regards,
Winus
321dave   
Thu Nov 27 2014, 07:09pm
Member No: #614
travlician wrote ...

I got the 5271L8 since it's cheaper (227 euros ex VAT) and a newer design. To avoid losing much of the LDS, I performed the following steps:

- jack and support the car
- depressurize the hydraulic system (with Lexia)
- remove the rim
- jack the wheel (put the jack under the lower suspension arm) until the strut is fully compressed
- remove the high pressure connection and put a tap on it
- remove the jack that lifted the wheel
- replace the strut as per instructions in the workshop manual

Some fluid spilled when removing the high pressure connection but only some drops and a little more from the suspension sphere. About half a glass of fluid remained in the old suspension strut.

The job was somewhat messy, mainly because of the LDS already spilt by the old (leaking) strut that was spread all around the wheel well.

HI all,
does anybody know, does the 5271 L8 strut come with a variable damping suspension actuator fitted on the top? or is that a seperate part? Many thanks.

kind regards
David
gmerry   
Thu Nov 27 2014, 09:59pm
Member No: #21
Can confirm 5271L8 comes complete with electrical variable damper.

Regards
G
Tjensen   
Fri Nov 28 2014, 12:42pm
Member No: #954
They installed the 5271L8 on my car (3,0 Hdi 2010), the price for the part was a bit more that 300£. If I understand the thread right: this is the right part and also gave me a new AMVAR valve ? They measured the sphere to 48Kg and I think they changed it. No avaliability problem. (and 2 new FRIPs)
Toby   
Sun Nov 30 2014, 05:44pm
Good folks out there in C6 land. I have always aspired to own a C6 and now have a 2007 model with 45,000 on the clock. I'm seduced! The only issue is similar to the above. A leak in the n/s fr strut. It's booked in on Tuesday to our local garage (very good) Guess they will get a new strut from Citroen and that should be the end of it. I'm in the brace position for the cost.
e3steve   
Sun Nov 30 2014, 11:56pm
Member No: #1163
Toby wrote ...

Good folks out there in C6 land. I have always aspired to own a C6 and now have a 2007 model with 45,000 on the clock. I'm seduced! The only issue is similar to the above. A leak in the n/s fr strut. It's booked in on Tuesday to our local garage (very good) Guess they will get a new strut from Citroen and that should be the end of it. I'm in the brace position for the cost.
Welcome to C6ing! The feeling is akin to falling for a puta-nesca: you know your finances are going to be raped but you really won't care once inside!

Prepare for some open-wallet surgery on occasion. Be ready to run, far & fast...
drummond   
Mon Dec 01 2014, 07:28am
Member No: #238
Well, I have a Citroen guarantee on my car, costs £37/ month- and it never goes wrong .

Well......
ChrisHunter   
Wed Dec 03 2014, 03:14am
Member No: #188
our car has been off the road since 10th October, waiting for a replacement for our leaking near-side / left front suspension strut - we've been chasing it, and Citroën HQ have now said it's likely to be first or second week of January before we have it in our hand - apparently they're having a major review of their supplier approval process, and this is the reason for the extended delay ...
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club