C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 with a weird combination of error messages

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
grandadmark   
Sat Sep 08 2012, 12:16pm
Member No: #508
OK The electronics are weird. My handbrake faulty message has reappeared and the parking brake would not go on then it went on and would not come off until I gently tried reversinitg wqhen it cleared. Noyt using parking brake at all now aND BACK TO GARAGE next week
grandadmark   
Sun Sep 30 2012, 10:03am
Member No: #508
Another update. The handbrake faulty light now comes on as soon as I open any door and stays on. The parking brake lights up when I apply it but immediately goes out again and there is no sound of the winding mechanism. The lexia showed a rear abs fault but I have had no further abs error messages. My garage (Frontlines Sheffield) is stumped so it looks like a main dealer visit Ouch!!
yorkxx   
Sun Oct 28 2012, 10:58pm
Member No: #1005

Hi Dave is this the kit you refer to and I assume you've not had the fault return?

I've just had the same fault happen today

If I've repeated this in anyway, sorry wouldn't allow me to attach pic first time around.
C6Dave   
Mon Oct 29 2012, 07:52am

Member No: #1
That looks like the one. The car was traded for a 3.0 back in April so can only say that it was fine from the change until it was sold.
Website
yorkxx   
Mon Oct 29 2012, 09:53am
Great Dave thanks...

Got this fault on mine now so will have to get it sorted damn quickly, let you know how I do.

Cheers

Doug
magicands   
Mon Oct 29 2012, 05:45pm
Member No: #1021

Next, more critically, I am getting this ESP/ABS/Handbrake combo regularly now. Originally it would only come on in the wet, later on it would happen on startup, but it would always reset when I switched off and started again. Recently though I'm getting the ESP/ABS immediately on startup, and I can't get it to clear by switch off/on. Furthermore I'm getting the Handbrake alert a few minutes later, unless it's applied before ignition, however the handbrake works perfectly fine.

Need to check fuses, release strap, etc, (job for weekend). Any other ideas/suggestions welcome.
[/quote1351532540]

Hi, check my threads in the Garage, it will be the rear ABS sensor which costs about £40 but the fuel tank has to be lowered to replace it, cost of which for me last Friday was £670 at Citroen Coventry as its 3 hours labour and 2 hours diagnostic.
You have exactly the same problem my C6 had so its either Play Up or pay up I'm afraid!!!
Good luck,
Gary
Website
magicands   
Mon Oct 29 2012, 05:49pm
Ignore me Dave, just realised how old this thread is and that's why you knew what was wrong with my C6.
Website
yorkxx   
Fri Nov 23 2012, 11:08pm
Just had this very problem, diagnosed by the new D-Tec Citroen diagnostics system that replaces LEXIA as the Near-side front Speed sensor.

Got to say that when the Handbrake, ABS, ESP warning light comes on during driving it could potentially be deadly!

I took the car up to 70 on a clear road, then applied the brakes hard and it took the car twice the distance to stop at least, also if it comes on and you are cornering hard plus depending on the ESP, I would say "you are off the road"!

Spoke to a relation who's a Lawyer and he said Citroen could well be wide open to prosecution if it could be proven the unexpected failure took place at such a time and caused one to crash.

Judging by the amount of you on here who've had this fault, one would expect it to be a re-call.
travlician   
Sat Nov 24 2012, 01:15am
Member No: #350
Hm, being a technician myself, I think there is no option other than informing the driver that ABS and ESP are no longer operational. The car will be missing it's prime information source to let ABS and ESP work. The parking brake is similar although that could be managed by a workaround (the parking brake will apply more pressure is the car is detected to be moving)
magicands   
Wed Nov 28 2012, 11:55am
I agree with the above.
Website
userpco   
Fri May 17 2013, 01:31pm
Member No: #622
With reference to intermittent warnings; I bought a new C6 in 2007 from Citroen London West. Right from year one, I have had occassional ABS and Parking Brake warnings ( (1 or 2 a year) which cleared when switching off and restarting. I reported this at every service but no defects were ever found.

Last year, (Oct 2012) the warnings stayed on and I lived with this until the MOT in Dec. The ABR sensor was replaced and all was well for two months. Then the intermittent warnings for ABS and Parking brake came on again. Following a 'while you wait' diagnostic test (no warnings showing at the time) I was advised to book the car for at least a couple of days for a more extensive examination. I decided to wait until the warnings became permanent...having lived with the problem for 5 years, why not?.

Now it gets more interesting, albeit worrying, Last month, on a 230 mile run to Cornwall while travelling at 70 mph (well, I am an 82 OAP!) the Speed indicator shot up to 134mph and the Sat Nav stopped working. The Speedo returned to normal within seconds but the Sat Nav required stoping the engine before working again.

No more problems until the day after we got home. With the ignition key in the DRIVE position (no audio on, just about to enter some Sat Nav info) I was distracted and absent mindedly left the key in Drive for one or two hours (no risk of car being stolen!) when I removed the key, the battery was completely flat, not enough juice to even lock the car!...obviously the ECONOMY MODE didn't kick in.

I decided on a new battery and thanks to Dave and this great web-site I bought a Varta H3 100Ah on Ebay for £90 (saving £110 on Citroen's price) Citroen London West and Slough both wanted £75 for fitting but West Heath Garage(Farnborough) fitted it for £44, so I will be using them for any future work, when the warnings become permanent again.

What's the betting I will end up with a replacement ECU ?

Peter
BruceB   
Fri May 17 2013, 03:01pm
Member No: #234
userpco wrote ...

With reference to intermittent warnings; I bought a new C6 in 1957 from Citroen London West. Right from year one, I have had occasional ABS and Parking Brake warnings ( (1 or 2 a year) which cleared when switching off and restarting.

Look how advanced Citroen were; fifty years ahead of the pack!
userpco   
Fri May 17 2013, 05:44pm
Oops, Yet another 'Senior Moment' Thanks Bruce for highlighting the error, date of purchase was of course 2007 (57 came from the Reg. No but no excuse for prefixing it with 19)
ChrisHunter   
Sun May 19 2013, 11:16am
Member No: #188
134mph - sounds like the computer was restarting itself (like you get after holding the Dark button in for ten seconds) which would have given a speed reading in kph for a second or so ...
userpco   
Tue Dec 31 2013, 02:01pm
Update on ABS/handbrake faults.

As reported earlier, I have had intermittent warnings for 6 years. Replacing one ABS sensor and brake pedal switch cleared the problem for a couple of months.

The warnings occur quite frequently if the electric handbrake is used. So now I do not use the handbrake at all and only get the warnings say once every couple of months. The annoying thing is that when the warning comes on during a long journey it knocks out the SAT NAV.

The C6 has just passed the MOT and as diagnostic tests can't pinpoint the fault my guess is that I have faulty wiring since manufacture.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club