Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

First decent drive

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
boxer_ian   
Mon Feb 28 2011, 08:58am
Member No: #356
I've had the C6 for a couple of weeks now, and only just had the chance for a decent drive. York, Northallerton, Scotch Corner, Barnard Castle and Alston. A break for a pub lunch (The Angel Inn...great.. good food real log fire..) then on to Ambleside.

Back home via Scotch Corner, then the A1 south followed by the A61 and the back lanes to Shipton. Just over 250miles at an average of 40mph along all sorts of roads and the car averaged 35.8 mpg.

I must drive about 50,000 miles a year for work in some truly awful vehicles so the fun of driving had gone many years ago. When I reached home on Saturday after our jaunt I must admit I didn't want to get out of the car. What more could one ask of a vehicle. Let's just keep the secret of C6 motoring to ourselves if that's ok.
C6Dave   
Mon Feb 28 2011, 10:03am

Member No: #1
I used to feel the same way a lot of the time when I did a lot of driving for work, so know exactly how you feel

I've done Northumberland, down to Scotch Corner, over to Hawkshead (near Ambleside) and back via Carlisle, the A69 (or sometimes the old Military road for a change) back home

Great run and I always told myself that it was a great job, getting paid to drive in some great scenery

Just a pity it wasn't in the C6 so it's on my list of things to do again........
Website
boxer_ian   
Thu Mar 03 2011, 02:59pm
Another 186 miles yesterday with a quick trip to Southwell and back. 44mph average and the fuel consumption has gone down to 38mpg. Only difference is that this trip was fueled by Total Excellium diesel.
tonyrome   
Thu Mar 03 2011, 03:57pm
Member No: #15
boxer_ian wrote ...
Another 186 miles yesterday with a quick trip to Southwell and back. 44mph average and the fuel consumption has gone down to 38mpg. Only difference is that this trip was fueled by Total Excellium diesel.

'Gone down'? It was 35.8mpg in your previous post. 'Only difference...'? No more unsubstantiated claims of improved fuel economy thanks to Total Excellium please! You can't compare any two journeys, even of identical length, as there are bound to be differences in conditions but it's pointless comparing a 250 miler on one route with a 186 miler on another and putting it down to overpriced fuel.
pclark   
Thu Mar 03 2011, 04:30pm
Member No: #3
Surely a numerically higher 'MPG' figure means fuel consumption has gone down. i.e. meaning less fuel consumed.
JimC   
Thu Mar 03 2011, 07:31pm
Member No: #229
When you say 38mpg, are you talking the car up to (say) 70mph then setting the trip and the cruise?
The most I've managed is around 33.5!
ChrisHunter   
Sun Mar 06 2011, 09:18pm
Member No: #188
we're fussy about fuel - mpg is only part of the story, IMO - long-term issues count, too !

our's is doing OK - fourth year, 20+k miles, even 'jams are not a problem, almost a pleasure, and overall average has been around 33.5mpg ...

maybe half motorway, a third country A-roads, rest windy windy ...

almost all a pleasure, too ...

lots of it enthusiastic ...

since the demise of the Orwellian regime, surreal (speed-) trapping of easy targets has noticeably abated - and speeds on the motorway have crept up & up, little by little - not a bad thing, no less safe, people are getting sharper, less falling asleep, better through-put, less jams, quicker journeys ... and mpg, if anything, is even a little better (smoother flow, probably) !
boxer_ian   
Mon Mar 07 2011, 08:53am
I have to agree with Chris that other things matter. The immediate problem is of course that every time we fill up we have to reach for our wallets which sort of hurts.

Citroen diesels for me have always been an anomaly, as my only other experience was with a BX Turbo Estate which consistently returned a higher mpg around town than on a run. At the time I put this down to inconsistent diving on my part. Mind you I replaced that car with a V8 Range Rover which could pass anything on the road except a petrol station.

I always reset the trip at the pumps. I have a few scheduled runs this month so it would be nice to see if the C6 experience (which I personally love) could be topped off by a magical 40mpg.
Extant   
Mon Mar 07 2011, 11:57am
Member No: #317
boxer_ian wrote ...

I always reset the trip at the pumps. I have a few scheduled runs this month so it would be nice to see if the C6 experience (which I personally love) could be topped off by a magical 40mpg.

I'm close to that. I set one of the trip settings just after I bought the car and now at approx. 4,500 miles I have an average of 38.2. A lot of this has been on fairly long motorway runs.
datmbn   
Mon Mar 07 2011, 12:30pm
Member No: #193
To pictures of my best yet an an more average contryside drive. when i drive from Motala to Gotenburg all motorway it will average att 5.6 /100 km speed 96 kmh average

I got an 2.2 manual gerbox
If you drive all in town it will take about 7.5 l/100km
so mixed driving 6.0-6.5l/100 km
Trainman   
Mon Mar 07 2011, 04:01pm

Member No: #86
Best I could manage was this coming back from a CCC rally last year at Milton Keynes

ADMIN EDIT: image width adjusted

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club