C6 new battery?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
citrohanc6   
Fri Dec 09 2011, 10:04pm
Member No: #329
RichardKC6 wrote ...

Back on topic - what's the proper way to charge the C6's battery? Trickle charger via the terminals under the bonnet? Or direct onto the battery in the boot?

Excuse me entering a beaten track topic,
but Richard is it ok to charge the battery with all onboard systems connected to load (trickle) device and battery?
I used to disconnect both battery poles (wich is a nuisance as you will agree) to prevent damage.
Or is this "oh soo eighties" tecnology seen the sophisticated chargers nowadays?
Regards
Winus
C6Dave   
Sat Dec 10 2011, 07:44am

Member No: #1
There shouldn't be an issue using a modern 'Battery Conditioner' device
Website
michaelb   
Sat Dec 10 2011, 10:08am
Member No: #14
I haven't dared try it yet on my C6 with its Canbus technology and computers but on my 1990s motorbike - which has a Bosch fuel injection system and other ECUs - it works a treat. I have an Optimate battery conditioner permanently attached to it. The Optimate comes with a very convenient small socket which you permanently wire onto the battery terminals and when you park you simply plug the charger into this socket. It takes seconds.

You have to remember to unplug before driving away
smihaialex   
Sat Jan 05 2013, 02:21pm
Member No: #1031
Problems that suggest you should get a new battery:
- Economy mode kicking in more often than usual...
- Longer than usual engine start times...
- LCD screens flickering more than they should during engine start...
- Engine not starting at first attempt when car was not in use for a couple of days...
- Finding your car in Economy mode even though nobody had been listening to music or doing stuff that would normally bring up Economy mode...
- Any sort of electrical or electronic weirdness...

Getting back to what battery you should get...

Several websites (including VARTA's official website) list the VARTA E38 as the proper replacement in the VARTA SILVER family. The E38 is a high-end 74Ah CCA 750 battery.

However, I followed this recommendation and found (the hard way), that this is not large enough for high-end C6 models (i.e. Exclusive w 2.7 HDi 3.0 HDi or 3.0i engines).

While using the car on a daily basis and normal weather, I found absolutely no problem, but when winter got bad (-5 to -10 C regularly) and I left the car unused for several days - it had trouble starting, then after the winter vacation (1+ week of complete and utter neglecting) it didn't start at all, I even had trouble getting in...

So, if you don't want any problems, regardless of how often you use your car and regardless of how bad the weather is, the proper replacement is the VARTA H3 which is a 100Ah CCA 830.

No question or doubt about it - go for the VARTA H3 and even though it's a bit more expensive, your car will thank you for your choice.

Oh and, no need to use any tricks when changing battery, just make sure not to linger - I managed to do the swap in less than 10 seconds (I mean the total time that no battery was connected to the car, not the total time of the change-up, because that's a little bit more complicated - you have to take half the car apart )

Thanks,
Sam
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club