Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

It's the little things...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
RichardKC6   
Thu Sep 30 2010, 10:37am
Member No: #49
So, having dealt with the dealers and so forth... I've had a lot of stuff to do that I bought the C6 for. Whilst my Jeep is doing the environmentally-crushing short run into Kidderminster regularly (and being small and beaten up for minimal car-park stress), trips to Germany, London etc. have been in the C6.

Tyres had lost a little pressure, I suspect the valves. So before this last run into London, I checked them, all at 2.4 bar, with the new updated maps and speed cameras I pointed it at the M42, and it pops up "delay, 6 miles, M42". Choose diversion, and a nice wander towards Henley and onto the M40 there bypasses the lot. Steady cruise to the Westway, then windows down, Massive Attack on the Jukebox and over to Hoxton. Parking space found, parked up, day done - kit loaded into car (MF digital gear, do love my job sometimes) and back, with the safety alerts doing their job.

Despite awful rain, suicidal bikers and so forth, it was really chilled - even the driving in the city bit.

Once I get over my frustration with the car being so far from a CX, and just accept that sometimes, the people outside the car have to be making an effort to avoid me as much as I do anticipating them, it's rather pleasant. All things considered, I reckon the car's going to come into its own as the photo work changes gear again.

And to think I nearly got a Fiat 500 instead!
Dave Mc   
Thu Sep 30 2010, 11:43am
Member No: #64
Close call!! I bought a new Fiat Punto with every extra available. It lasted 3 months before it had to go. Changed from £35 road Tax to £430; 55+MPG to 38 MPG. Would I change back? NO WAY
C6Dave   
Thu Sep 30 2010, 12:36pm

Member No: #1
RichardKC6 wrote ...

......Despite awful rain, suicidal bikers and so forth, it was really chilled - even the driving in the city bit.

Once I get over my frustration with the car being so far from a CX, and just accept that sometimes, the people outside the car have to be making an effort to avoid me as much as I do anticipating them, it's rather pleasant. All things considered, I reckon the car's going to come into its own as the photo work changes gear again.

And to think I nearly got a Fiat 500 instead!

The thing you really notice, is the ride, when you go back to driving anything else. I use the C6 for everything now and simply refuse to drive my wifes 207cc (even with the roof down)

The more you use the C6 Richard, the more it really does grow on you.
Website
RichardKC6   
Thu Sep 30 2010, 02:46pm
Member No: #49
Well, yes, clearly 23,000 miles wasn't enough

It's not so much that it's grown on me, as I'm tired of being angry about it (and protective of it); c'est la vie, as they say. It would still drive me mental if it were my only car, but getting the use I envisaged it excelling at, it makes a lot more sense and I don't feel like I'm wasting money having it.

And it is MUCH nicer than anything I'd get for the same money.

The ride's better since the update and keeping an eye on tyre pressures, though occasionally still a little firm. The Jeep is more "comfortable" but the handling is incomparable, of course.

The 500 was the car we'd been going to go for (potentially, if it had been cheap enough) if Brian had bought the C6, but the test drive demonstrated to me just how poor modern cars are, just how much worse even the "small" car is for all the things I don't like on the C6. I might yet fit a towbar to it and try to make it more practical, and I know nothing else I'd have ended up with had the C6 gone would have been able to let me feel the (more than a new C6's *cough*) worth of kit was safe in the boot whilst I had lunch, and then when I got back in the car I just said "Guide to Home", got out of the centre and then spent the time stuck on the A40 in rush hour on the phone to the publishers I work with discussing the next set of jobs.

When I've GOT the work, it comes into it's own. A Mercedes that could do the same would have cost almost twice as much and been darker inside.

Having been resigned to letting the car go an not having the nice car anymore, I appreciate it a lot more - and new C6 owners don't get the cream leather

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club