Display failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
MGmike   
Thu May 16 2024, 03:54pm

Member No: #3151
Davet49 wrote ...

But, I can't find any instructions as to how to remove the HUD. Can anyone help?

There will be instructions in the tech section but you really don't want to go there as it starts with removing the dashboard..... I've only ever removed a HUD when stripping a car for spares.

The display should be an easy 10 min job to refit!
Can you take some pictures to help explain your issue and we may be able to advise on a solution.

Davet49   
Thu May 16 2024, 07:55pm
Member No: #3695
Thanks. I will abandon the idea of taking out the HUD. The instrument cluster has a yellow socket on the back. This attaches to a yellow plug at the end of a cable that comes from way behind the dashboard. The plug was difficult to disconnect, but I could put a screwdriver in the gap between the instrument cluster and the top of the dashboard to prise the plug and socket apart. But there's no room for a hand to fit between the cluster and the top of the dashboard to reconnect the two.

The cable is too short to allow any room to attach it to the socket. I have tried everything I can think of, including connecting wires to the yellow plug to enable me to manoeuvre it without having to have room to put my hand in place, but that has failed. I drove the car to my mechanic who spent 20 mins trying to attach it and he couldn't. Hence the desire to take off the HUD to access the yellow plug from behind. Once the plug is in the socket, the job is simple as you say. I will take some pictures tomorrow when I next try to re-fit it.
cruiserphil   
Fri May 17 2024, 10:18am

Member No: #38
Hello Davet49,

That's a strange one. I had to remove the main display for repair and refit and I cannot recollect any major problem removing or refitting!

Best regards,

Phil C.
Davet49   
Fri May 17 2024, 10:36am
I attach pictures of the plug and socket and two of the challenge. I can get the plug to the lip of the socket, but there just isn't enough slack in the cable or movement available in the instrument cluster to turn the plug vertical to slot it into the plug. The green wires are just in place to help me to manoeuvre the plug.

I can get the plug to about 45 degrees, but no further, even pulling on my wires. As I said earlier, there's room to fit a screwdriver to prise the two apart, but no room for fingers to position the plug next to the socket and push it in. Any ideas are very welcome.
See next post for problem picture.
Davet49   
Fri May 17 2024, 10:41am
Problem picture. Only room for one, but it gives the idea.
cruiserphil   
Fri May 17 2024, 02:50pm

Hello Davet49,

I know it sounds like an obvious response and forgive me but it would appear that somewhere below that loom is trapped. Your photos refresh my memory and I definitely had no issues regarding having sufficient slack on the loom to detach the plug with fingers and positively reattach before fully mounting the display. Is there any way you can probe underneath the display enclosure to see where the trap is?

Best regards,

Phil C.
Davet49   
Fri May 17 2024, 03:18pm
Thanks Phil. I have 'felt' down the wire as far as I can and have found no obvious traps, but I will try again.
I attach the picture that should have been in the post above but wasn't for some reason.

Davet49   
Fri May 17 2024, 04:13pm
I have managed to find the cable under the dashboard and as far as I can feel, it is not trapped. However, it does come from the right (looking at the front of the car) and it might be possible to re-route it so that it comes at the instrument cluster from the right, saving the odd millimetre, which might be enought. However, I won't be able to try that until Monday. Any other suggestions very welcome.
onthecut   
Sat May 18 2024, 10:17am
Member No: #2793
Have to agree with Phil C. When I did mine the access was snug, but certainly not what I would call difficult or not possible.
For reference, had my display done by the gentleman at STS. He was the only person willing to take it on (the other two or three I tried all said it was too damaged) and he produced a 100% result. Excellent service.

Mike.
MGmike   
Sat May 18 2024, 02:02pm

Member No: #3151
I agree with the others. That cable should be much more accessible and must be routed incorrectly.
Unfortunately, I'm not home until next Saturday or I could do you a picture of what it should be like (spares car has a speedo out).

If you haven't sorted it by then I'll follow-up with some info/pictures on the routing of the cable.
Davet49   
Sun May 19 2024, 12:01pm
Success! I traced the cable to where it ends (or the furthest I could find) above the accelerator pedal behind the trim and pulled it and prodded it until I seemed to have gained a millimetre or two and that gave me just enough slack to be able to plug it in with a few grazed fingers. It works as well - Autotronics have done a good job. Thanks to everyone for the help that I have been given.
C6Dave   
Sun May 19 2024, 07:04pm

Member No: #1
Davet49 wrote ...

Success! I traced the cable to where it ends (or the furthest I could find) above the accelerator pedal behind the trim and pulled it and prodded it until I seemed to have gained a millimetre or two

I’m not saying it’s been done in the past to your car, but we have seen images of C6’s where the whole dashboard has been removed to change the heater box and if that was the case and the cables hadn’t been routed correctly, that might explain your issue.
Website
cruiserphil   
Tue May 21 2024, 11:51am

Hello Davet49,

Well done on getting a result and letting us know!

Best regards,

Phil C.
Davet49   
Thu May 30 2024, 02:18pm
Unfortunately it's gone blank again, so I have taken it out and sent it back to Autotronics!
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club