Should it stay or should it go (now!)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Dan595   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 05:25pm
Member No: #299
gmerry wrote ...

Hi Dan, nice to hear a tale of happy ownership, especially a relatively handsoff one using an official Citroen dealer. By DMF, I'm guessing that Dual Mass Flywheel which would make yours a 2.2? Maybe the 2.2 Manual is the best long term keeper?

Yes, 2.2 manual. I don't know if we hear more about problems on 2.7 because there are so many more of them, or if the 2.2 is just that bit simpler and perhaps less stressed - I imagine that the car is largely engineered for the 2.7 so the 2.2 puts less weight and less power through suspension and transmission, and other bits like FAP just last longer (I refilled my FAP tank at 164K miles). I don't take the car outside the dealer network - except recently for tyres where I have a great local Kwik Fit mobile guy - only jacks one wheel at a time and I can supervise...

Before the C6 my daily driver was a GSA (2002-2009) which needed regularly tinkering but was similarly reliable, although annual mileage was much less. Followed a similar principle in that if it needed work and I couldn't do it myself (I did all the regular servicing, spheres etc.), it went to someone who knew what to do i.e. Rob Moss at Chevronics.

One big difference is that I have only had to top the oil up once on the C6, even though I keep to the 20,000 mile service interval. The GSA used a bit more... (maybe 'lost' rather than 'used').
cruiserphil   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 07:58pm

Member No: #38
Andi,
I echo the sentiments of a post in response to yours that I can't find at the moment. Your car is just at the mileage when the items you mention come due for renewal. Let's use the term midlife rebuild (not crisis). I had similar work to do on both of our 2.7's but it does give you return. If you sell now you will pass the benefits of your work to a new owner to reap. I would hang in there for another while. In your list, the only item that would raise an eyebrow would be the need for the height sensors. At your stage EGR could be due to the specified 20000 mile oil change interval. But extended oil change intervals based on synthetic oil technology seems to dog many a manufacturers' cars after several years. A friend of mine has just fitted new piston rings to a 2004 3 cylinder Daihatsu where the original rings had seized solid. The Daihatsu forums quote the extended recommended oil change interval as the problem. I think you'll see from the posts, experiences differ - like all cars. An Audi owner might say they have no problems and yet a friend of ours sold her sporty 09 Audi A5 because, in her own words, "it nearly bankrupted her!"
But at the end of the day, do what feels right for you. When you sit behind the wheel it has to feel worth it to you. For me, I've had to do some difficult jobs on the cars, but when I sit behind the wheel the feeling is always "all sins forgiven" (Where Eagles Dare!).
Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Phil C.
P.S. Just a tip, but your battery will be due for replacement in about 2 years
e3steve   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 10:50pm
Member No: #1163
All points of view accepted, guys. And please understand, everyone, that I'm not intending to decry The Beautiful Beast; merely trying to put across an experienced, informed and pragmatic perspective for someone considering the daily use of a 'hundred-thousand miler'.

I bought mine at 86k (now knocking on the door of 110k) and I've had several issues, all of which I've handled myself. I'm not complaining; I bought into C6ism with my eyes open! I'm in for the duration and I intend to keep making HRF shine, albeit with a price tag...

I'm currently considering adding a 3.0HDi to the collection, but the 2.7 won't be disposed of until I've completed my project and I'm fully satisfied with it. Still a way to go yet.

All part of the 'fun' of ownership.

Incidentally, it was me! I posted on the forum about the 97k mile 2.7 C6 on eBay which was being broken for parts (by Citropro) after it's timing belt failed.
frozenbeard81   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 12:16am
Member No: #2503
Gold maintenance is key to keeping ANY car running nice, that said you do get dogs which will always break down..
Andimac101   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 08:05am
Member No: #2380
Thanks all for your comments and words of encouragement.

The latest problem turns out to be the alternator falling apart, luckily it broke up on starting it at Home so no other damage. It's another tick off the 'mid life rebuild' list.

I will keep it for now, having invested so much money into it and keep my fingers crossed.

Having read your lists I missed off the new battery and AC gas replacement it had last year as well

I will also pick up 10k annual servicing instead of the recommended 20k in the hope she appreciates the sentiment!

I would happily invest in a late 3.0 hdi but I've never seen one advertised within an entire year of keeping an eye open- where do they come up as quite a few of you have them?
Leo   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 09:23am
Member No: #94
Yes, my experience pretty good too - almost six years now and around 65,000 miles and no huge issues. Hope this post doesn't tempt fate!

Leo
cruiserphil   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 09:38am

Member No: #38
Hello Andi,

On the 3.0HDi front you have to keep almost a daily watch. Then don't hesitate, make the call and hope your first in the queue. Our one is down to my wife Sue who unknownst to me was keeping watch and got position of first refusal.

Happy hunting,

Phil C.
Hattershaun   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 07:24pm
Member No: #320
Ah, mention of a 3.0HDi.......
I have one for sale, it's silver (not my blue one).
I'll post a 'For Sale' note on the forum later this evening.
e3steve   
Sat Feb 20 2016, 11:24am
Member No: #1163
Hattershaun wrote ...

Ah, mention of a 3.0HDi.......
I have one for sale, it's silver (not my blue one).
I'll post a 'For Sale' note on the forum later this evening.
And it's a lovely example with good provenance. I'm pig-sick that I don't have the space for it until after Easter...
C6Dave   
Tue Feb 23 2016, 11:07am

Member No: #1
If we go back to the original post and continue the chorus:

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go there will be trouble

And if I stay it will be double

As others have said, it's a car that needs a lot of love and attention
Website
321dave   
Tue Feb 23 2016, 01:26pm
Member No: #614
Retired - No Contact wrote ...

If we go back to the original post and continue the chorus:

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go there will be trouble

And if I stay it will be double

As others have said, it's a car that needs a lot of love and attention

very good!!
Trainman   
Tue Feb 23 2016, 04:25pm

Member No: #86

Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club