C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Dragging Rear Handbrakes

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Fri Feb 05 2010, 07:59pm
Member No: #21
My rear brakes have been squealing for last 3 weeks, getting quite a lot worse but seemed to go away when brakes are applied.

Checking things out, brake pads were "frozen in place" by light corrosion, brake dust build-up etc. No movement and took a lot of levering to remove after the caliper lock screws had been removed.

As they are Lucas rear calipers, construction is very similar to the Lucas calipers fitted to the C4; same tools are required to service and replace pads etc.

Anyhow, after cleanup and lubrication, squeal is gone and car rolls that little bit easier. I'm thinking that with this design, brake caliper service really looks like a job that should be done at every oil change, rather than waiting until the pads have lost significant thickness. Looking at the Citroen service schedule, the brakes only get a visual check of pad thickness until 40,000 miles!

Regards

Note, must say that some of the Jap handbrake designs with a separate drum inside the disk are much better. On my last car the handbrake lasted 10 years and was only adjusted once in that time.
michaelb   
Sat Feb 06 2010, 09:23am
Member No: #14
Interesting. I'm getting a rubbing sound which could be a wheel bearing noise but is more likely to be a brake binding on because it changes with heavy braking.

The car is going back to Citroën soon for replacement radio - I'll get them to check.

It would be nice to hope this will have a big affect on economy

tnx.
C6Dave   
Sat Feb 06 2010, 03:17pm

Member No: #1
I never use the handbrake on advice from a Citroen Service Manager

I simply leave the gearbox in 'Park' unless it's on a very steep hill
Website
gmerry   
Sat Feb 06 2010, 05:35pm
Member No: #21
If I now pull up to the lights and put transmission into neutral, even on what seems like a flat road the car starts to roll. Previously at the same junctions it would hold itself no problem: obviously quite a bit of drag.

Regards
urb   
Sun Feb 07 2010, 07:41pm
Member No: #26
Think most modern cars have problems with
rear brakes. Uses the handbrake quite often when
I think it helps to keep away the corrosion.
Have tried to get the car into a 180 degree handbrake slide
, but the car's abs systems begin to work using front brakes to to sort out the slide.
You can use the handbrake at any speed when it's also included in the abs system, it is only under 2-3km /h
that it locks completely.
Grinded the rear brake pads and greased them up last summer when they started squealing a bit.
Attach instructions, no special tools are needed and I did not use the Lexia to put the handbrake in
"removal" position.

c6_brake.pdf

Accompany also C5 (X7), then it is basically the same design but better pictures.

c5_brake.pdf
ststech   
Tue Aug 11 2015, 11:00pm
Member No: #1845
michaelb wrote ...

Interesting. I'm getting a rubbing sound which could be a wheel bearing noise but is more likely to be a brake binding on because it changes with heavy braking.

The car is going back to Citroën soon for replacement radio - I'll get them to check.

It would be nice to hope this will have a big affect on economy

tnx.

I am getting low level noise at speeds above 15-20mph that changes in level as i steer and slow down it sounds like its coming from rear the noise sounds like wheel bearing, Did you ever find out what was the cause of noise on your car?
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club