C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Is the c6 a good car?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
patcrean406   
Tue May 12 2015, 10:50pm
Member No: #1894
I've had the c6 since September. In that time I've replaced the front shock, starter, ball joint, particle filter along with routine servicing like pads and discs etc. now I discover another leak of LDS again. Definitly the running costs are higher than I imagined. No denying it's a lovely car and unique in style. Also the equilvant c5 and 407 v6s are probably as costly. My only gauage is my 406 coupe hdi which I ran for years and never to spend a penny. My question is? Is the c6 very expensive to run or are all top line bmws, Mercs etc the same?
Tjensen   
Tue May 12 2015, 11:31pm
Member No: #954
Premium cars are complicated, reliability is not following price up the ladder. C6 are probably not special. there are issues and special problems and your issues are all on the list... Your issues sound like the "100.000 km"-itch + some PDF problems due to wrong oil/cheap diesel/town driving,

Lexus might be better, not Mercedes and Jaguar and the others.. All in all, C6 is a fantastic car that must be maintained like the luxury car it is. (I am replacing 2 wheel bearings way too early this week.)

Propably C6 has a good price as used and not more problems than other Premium cars, only more joy !
Trainman   
Wed May 13 2015, 07:18am

Member No: #86
I've had 2 C6 a 2005 and my current 2007, both 2.7 Exclusives, in the nearly 6 years of ownership, I've replaced a strut, brake pads and discs, repaired and LDS leak, ball joints and that's it.

For me, all those items are 'fair wear and tear' it doesn't matter that it's a C6, the thing to remember when you buy a C6 it's history, look for the bills, reciepts for the little things, anything that shows the previous owner actually cared to bother themselves about the car........

Oh and By the way, if the LDS leak is coming from under the LDS tank near the front wheel, I would suspect it's an easy fix
e3steve   
Wed May 13 2015, 07:41am
Member No: #1163
Pat, the guys have said pretty much what I would have said.

Rarely do I start up my c6steve -- aka 'The Spaceship' -- without wondering what will poop its pants today. It's a complicated beast with Citroën quirks and foibles; but it's also a beautiful and individual, if flawed, machine.

Past owners' use of regular diesel, cheaper oils and garages that "don't understand" will suck the life out of various critical systems and parts, thus causing early demise of same.

You need to be prepared to be 'in' for the long term, Pat. Like you, my previous car -- my lovely C5 1.6 HDi estate -- performed pretty much flawlessly; a mate of mine now has it and it's covered well over 230,000 miles. It's just about to have its second clutch and he's had the EGR valve removed & deleted (big mistake!).

I consider my C6 to be a "rolling project". It always needs attention in some form or another...
magicands   
Wed May 13 2015, 11:06am
Member No: #1021
My 6 is still leaking LDS despite being into Citroen twice within a fortnight.
It matters not one jot who does your servicing as proved by my comment above because it was Citroen who caused my LDS leak by letting all the wheels hang whilst inspecting the front DRL.
My passenger door (front) will no longer open off the key fob despite having a new lock release fitted only 2 yrs ago because of exactly the same problem.
Plus lots of other niggles that really annoy me a lot more such as interior buttons that do not illuminate because of faults in wiring looms that would cost an arm and a leg or 3 to chase and resolve.
I love her looks, she turns heads and is wonderful to drive when she is not at Citroen undergoing a repair. £500 a year in tax and she's sat still on a dealers forecourt!!
I am looking at a trade off for a C5 to be honest as I am really disappointed in the reliability side of my 6. Guess it depends on what's out there and what the cost will be to my pocket?
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club