C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 front suspension rebuild continues

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Fri Feb 28 2014, 05:06pm
Member No: #82
After about a year of plain sailing, the front suspension is returning to it's 'loose' feeling, like it's not connected up properly.

I've lost count of the number of ball joints I've had, and a wheel bearing last time.

I've booked it in for Tuesday so I wonder what's next.

Good times.
Rettopian   
Fri Feb 28 2014, 06:43pm
Member No: #1195
Sorry to hear that Ped. You have my sympathy.

How many miles have you covered & what kind of driving do you do?
Ped   
Fri Feb 28 2014, 06:57pm
Car has done 94000 now but I've had it since the 40k mark four years ago. Mainly town driving, and the roads around High Wycombe are appalling; third world quality, seriously. My drive through wycombe is a minefield of dodging huge potholes.

Tbh though I have very little confidence in the structural integrity of the front suspension. It's really poor for a big heavy car. I'm going to be writing to citroen about it but there's probably not much point.
gmerry   
Sat Mar 01 2014, 07:17pm
Member No: #21
Hi Ped, no need to put up with failing front ball joints (these are not actually ball joints, there are swivel FRIP joints). Insist that only SKF bearings are fitted and get a competent motor engineer or machine shop to fit grease fittings to a new set before they are fitted.

Regards
G
Ped   
Mon Mar 03 2014, 02:59pm
gmerry wrote ...

Hi Ped, no need to put up with failing front ball joints (these are not actually ball joints, there are swivel FRIP joints). Insist that only SKF bearings are fitted and get a competent motor engineer or machine shop to fit grease fittings to a new set before they are fitted.

Regards
G

Thanks, I've just dropped the car off at Forge in Cookham for a booking tomorrow. I briefly spoke to Ray and passed on this helpful info.

Cheers
Ped   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 03:15pm
Just heard from Ray.

Apparently it's the bushes at the end of the wishbone and rather than replacing the whole cradle at a cost of about £600 rays found a company in Yorkshire who sell the bushes separately for about £40 which is a great relief.

I'll update with more detail as and when.

I'm moving to York on Monday and will have to find a garage like Forge that I can trust up there!

Cheers
Rettopian   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 07:32pm
Member No: #1195
Well Good news on the bushes front - And thanks G - very useful.

Good luck on the move. Hope its all gone well.
gmerry   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 07:52pm
Hi Ped, make sure you get check out the bush fitments: The rear bushes available as spares have the wrong geometry and incorrect diameter to fit the wishbone shaft. There are workarounds that are documented on this website, not that straightforward getting it all correct.

Regards
G
Ped   
Thu Mar 06 2014, 02:30pm
Hi guys

Got the car back today. The bushes fit OK according to Ray. They were SKF ones and didn't pose a problem at all.

Thanks for the kind wishes RE the move... getting rather excited now!

Cheers
ped
drummond   
Thu Mar 06 2014, 06:04pm
Member No: #238
I saw the bushes, Ped, and they were identical. Good luck in York, my brother in law lives there and we go there from time to time.

Tim
Rog   
Mon Mar 10 2014, 02:05am
Wish I'd read this a few days ago, just forked out for 2 wishbones!

Any details on the bush/supplier please, as I'd rather go that route and return the wishbones
Ta
Rog
gmerry   
Mon Mar 10 2014, 02:53pm
Hi Rog and Ped, full retail price for replacement wishbones from Citroen was way less than £300 each. My motivation in using a replacement rear wishbone bush (the Delphi one) was purely to avoid messing with the height sensors. So far as using aftermarket replacement wishbones, the information on this forum so far is that these will not fit without modification and then the height sensors will need to be sorted.

Ped, it sounds as though your garage has a source of aftermarket rear wishbone bushes that fit "out of the box". Can you share any details.

Regards
G
Rog   
Wed Mar 12 2014, 07:14pm
£329.69 for citroen front wishbones [both, plus associated parts as per the parts list diag. on this site].

They're still unopened..........over to you Ped

....I shall ring Forge garage tomorrow and see what I can find out.....will update here
Rog   
Tue Mar 18 2014, 08:18pm
Update.....well forge garage put me onto the supplier, but the item number they sent me was not the rear bush. Spoke to the supplier, they reckon they have never sold a rear bush, only the smaller bush at other end of wishbone.....confused
Rog   
Tue Mar 18 2014, 08:20pm
....reading back through the thread, ped never stated it was the rear bush, just a bush at the end of the wishbone
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club