Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 vs CX - Experiences and Advice Request!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
JWalshe   
Mon Mar 24 2014, 05:47pm
Member No: #1395
Hi there,

I have swapped my Series 2 CX for my father's C6 2.7 Lignage for a few weeks and was hoping you could help me on a few points.

Firstly, the C6 is a fabulous machine. So smooth and quiet compared to my 2.2 litre CX. The steering and brakes feel conventional of course, and the ride isn't quite as smooth and unruffled as the CX BUT.... the C6 does an astonishing job of isolating you from the outside world and feels more planted to the road than a CX ever could. The C6 is an astonishingly brilliant car - way above anything else modern I've ever driven. It feels like you could drive to the ends of the earth in a C6 in total comfort and serenity! A work of art to look at too.

Couple of questions though, having driven it for a while now. Please forgive me if these questions have been previously answered (I did search but couldn't get a definitive answer) and of course, I'm used to the CX (which has just two electrical items: two electric windows!!) so all this amazing technology is pretty baffling!

1) The rear ventilation comes on and off all the time for no apparent reason and is irritatingly noisy. Is this normal or is there likely to be a faulty sensor or something?

2) The suspension height display gets confused easily - to the point where you have no idea at what height the car is at. Found myself getting out of the car to look! Am I missing something? I've searched the display but can't see a display that tells you the settings - until you push the button. Even then, it's hard to work out when you're at 'normal' height.

3) The car has a habit of 'see-sawing' at low speeds (ie back and forth). I see mentions of this but couldn't find a fix.

4) Finally, the right-hand headlight goes out after a long drive. Is this likely to be a connection or a faulty bulb?

I understand nothing is simple on a C6 but I figured if anyone can help, it's you wonderful people (some of whom I'm sure I've met at the numerous Citroen rallies).

Thanks so much for your help and congratulations on having exceptional taste in motor cars! It really is mindblowingly good! Not sure I want to give it back!!!

James Walshe
C6Dave   
Mon Mar 24 2014, 07:01pm

Member No: #1
1. Can't you knock it out of 'auto mode' on the rear panel?

2 & 3. Suspension may need a software update, but it could be that one (or more) of the spheres has lost pressure. There are threads on it.

4. it could be the connector on the back needs refitting properly, there is a thread on it, or the bulb could simply be on it's way out.
Website
JWalshe   
Tue Mar 25 2014, 05:59am
Thanks Dave.

Re rear ventilation: I get that you can turn it off but is it not possible to have a steady stream of air instead of it huffing and puffing in fits and starts all the time?

Will look for the threads on the suspension pitching. All I can find are threads that suggest it needs to go to a Citroen dealership. Not keen on them!

Thanks again. Drove it in sport mode this morning and wow - it's corners almost as flat as my old Xantia Activa. Just astonishing that a car this big can corner so flat!

James
gmerry   
Tue Mar 25 2014, 08:36am
Member No: #21
Regarding the headlight issue: my own experience is that the "bulbs" do not just fail suddenly but go through a long period when they will strike up but then go out after maybe 5 minutes, or 15 minutes, or 1 hour etc depending on cooling etc (ambient temperature, vehicle speed)

So without trying to over-complicate the matter, first try replacing the RHS bulb (Note, this should really be done in pairs to keep the colour temperature balanced)

For the suspension, the only sure way to check everything out is to remove the spheres and test on the bench. If the originals are fitted, there is a high chance that the pressures will be well below specification.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Tue Mar 25 2014, 08:39am

It's probably this you need to look at - Click Here -
Website
e3steve   
Tue Mar 25 2014, 08:53am
Member No: #1163
JWalshe wrote ...
The rear ventilation comes on and off all the time for no apparent reason and is irritatingly noisy. Is this normal or is there likely to be a faulty sensor or something?
James Walshe
That's an odd observation, James. At least I think it is...! My C6's rear HVAC blower's noise level is imperceptible; it works, I know, as I can feel the air movement if I place my hand in front of the console's vent, but there's virtually no noise whatsoever.

If you alter the blower speed with the left & right buttons on the rear control pad then that action will defeat any 'Auto' blower speed changes.
Tjensen   
Tue Mar 25 2014, 12:32pm
Member No: #954
2. The electrical pumping systemn of the C6 (and C5) is slower and more indirect compared to the CX, the display verification is not 100% logical. But if you are very patient and systematic you migh see that it is working OK and giving the right feedback, including the automatic change to normal when you are speeding up fram a higher position. I had the same feeling as you, coming from CX and XM, but now I relax and leaves this to the car..

Superb car, I just miss the DIRAVI. The upgraded brakes from 2010 are as good as the CX (but with more spongy pedal.) And the C6 will not dance over the speedbumps like a CX. But the relaxed and safe long-distanse abilities....... fantastic !
ChrisHunter   
Sun Mar 30 2014, 12:21pm
Member No: #188
our rear fan runs occasionally - knocking it out of auto-mode has no effect ...

suspension height - yep, it's very slow to respond & say what's going on ... OTOH, it looks after itself - ie: drive off, and it'll make sure it's in an appropriate setting - but don't go mad, give it a chance !
C6Dave   
Sun Mar 30 2014, 01:06pm

ChrisHunter wrote ...

our rear fan runs occasionally - knocking it out of auto-mode has no effect ...

It could be the car going into DPF regen mode as it applies engine load via heated screen etc. in the background to get things hotter.
Website
Kaloteck   
Fri Apr 04 2014, 04:02pm
Member No: #1271
JWalshe wrote ...

(...) So smooth compared to my CX. (...) the ride isn't quite as smooth as the CX (...)

I think I'm a bit confused here
JWalshe   
Sat Apr 05 2014, 01:49pm
Sorry Kaloteck - meant the engine and gearbox are smoother than the CX. Ride quality doesn't come close though - CX is much smoother. I wonder if the C6 would be improved with more sensible wheels/tyres? Anyway... that's another topic!

Thanks to all for your helpful responses - much appreciated. Will look into suspension pitching.

I guess the vague height display/buttons are as they are, which is irritating. And it looks like there's no solution to the huffing and puffing rear ventilation - maybe somebody else will have this problem one day and find the solution. Tried turning it off in the rear but it still huffs and puffs loudly. For now, it'll be a case of turning the stereo up!

Given it back now anyway - chugging around in the family Dyane. Rather less to go wrong!

mds141   
Sat Apr 05 2014, 10:28pm
Member No: #1604
I've been enjoying the pictures of the CX and the Dyane on the R2 FB page. Give my regards to the 'dark lord'.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club