C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

A lesson learned: tyre pressure sensors

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
auntieflo   
Sat Jul 06 2013, 12:12pm
Member No: #982
I've had my 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive 7 months or so and done about 7,000 miles of utterly pleasurable, trouble-free motoring. Only three things had me puzzled: 1. The suspension felt fairly soft on normal setting. Not wallowy or uneven or bouncy, just soft. 2. Although fuel economy is not something I focus on, some of the figures quoted on this site surprised me.

The best economy I have measured was 35.5mpg at an average 56 mph. 3. I was getting shoulder wear on the 4 brand new tyres the car had at date of purchase. I put this down to poor tyre quality (dealer's choice).

Spot the thicko!

But this is the only car I've had with such low profile tyres, and the first I've ever had with "tyre pressure sensors", which I fondly assumed measure the pressure of tyres.

So unlike all my other cars, each of which has a tyre gauge in the glovebox for use when I fill up, I just checked the computer screen regularly and they always showed green - "OK". But something had to be wrong so I took the car for a wheel alignment this morning. Balance, toe, camber, caster - all close to perfect. But pick the obvious problem (and I feel really dozy acknowledging this): all tyres were around 15psi below correct pressure. How come?

As I now know, 'tyre pressure sensors' do not measure tyre pressure. They measure only disparity between different tyre pressures. They tell you if you have a puncture or slow leak. But so long as they are all the same, you could have 15psi in there and the sensors will tell you "OK".

I now have a tyre gauge in the glove box. Lesson learned!
cruiserphil   
Sat Jul 06 2013, 02:30pm

Member No: #38
Hello,

Might need to get checked that the sensors are not disabled. After getting one of our cars I became suspicious of the tyre sensors when after an inordinate time It was still showing green OK's. Turned out they were disabled. Re-enabled them and they were fine. We find them very useful I think it alerts you at about 0.4 bar below pressure?

Regards!

Phil C.
C6Dave   
Sat Jul 06 2013, 05:01pm

Member No: #1
As cruiserphil says, they should send a 'low pressure' warning when pressure drops to circa 29 psi (2 Bar) if they are enabled which is around .4 bar below the door plate pressure label
Website
nickyg   
Sat Jul 06 2013, 11:13pm
Member No: #100
True. I have disabled mine (I keep the stock wheels with sensors only for winter) and the screen simply displays "ok" at all times!

Before I disabled them with lexia, I would get constant warnings because the sensors were absent, and whenever I used a stock wheel as a spare on occasions it would often quickly detect as a possible puncture. If you are running minus 15psi, they must not be enabled and, like myself, you are getting the "ok" on screen as a default!
gmerry   
Sun Jul 07 2013, 07:59am
Member No: #21
Hi all, the sensors measure absolute tyre pressures, temperatures, g forces etc. Hook up the Lexia and one can see all the data.

Not sure where the poster got the impression that the sensors only read relative pressure!

Regards
Gerry
smihaialex   
Mon Jul 08 2013, 11:34am
Member No: #1031
My tyre pressure of choice is 2.6 bar and when the front right hand side tyre dropped to 2.3 bar, the TPMS section on the TRIP menu on the central screen displayed LOW and brought up the SERVICE message on the HUD as well as the main display...

Cheerios,
Sam
magicands   
Mon Jul 08 2013, 03:59pm
Member No: #1021
Hi all, that's an interesting post.

Do the replies above also apply to the Lignage as my TP sensors are all in the Green and saying ok but when I checked the other day the front near side was at 2.10 bar.

Should my computer, with that being the case read "LOW"?
Website
C6Dave   
Mon Jul 08 2013, 06:21pm

Member No: #1
magicands wrote ...

......Do the replies above also apply to the Lignage .........

The system is no different, it's just the display that's more comprehensive if you have Sat Nav fitted i.e RT4/RT5
Website
gmerry   
Tue Jul 09 2013, 09:12am
Member No: #21
Thinking a bit more about AuntieFlo's post: there are some types of tyre pressure sensors which infer RELATIVE inflation pressure from the ABS/ESP system. That is, a flat tyre will have a smaller effective diameter. Some models of BMW use this method. However as far as I know, any Citroen fitted with a TPMS uses the direct pressure measurement system.

Regards
G
magicands   
Tue Jul 09 2013, 12:03pm
Member No: #1021
Thanks Dave, yes, my Lignage has Sat Nav fitted.
I will keep an eye on the tyres for a while then and see what happens.
I assume that I can re activate the "Low" warning by using Lexia then?

Website
auntieflo   
Thu Jul 11 2013, 09:39am
Member No: #982
Thanks for all replies. This is a fantastic site! It was the tyre shop that told me the sensors read relative pressure, not absolute pressure. I took it straight around to the local non-dealer Citroen mechanics (one of whom was building a roll cage for a BX16V race car and the other tuning a GS Break), who disagreed on how the sensors worked. Yesterday, after the helpful posts, I took it to the local Citroen dealer and we had a good play with Diagbox and Lexia3. Mine is the only C6 within 500kms (I'm in southern New Zealand) so the dealer hadn't had opportunity to plug in a C6 before. Anyway, the sensors were now all working - we tested them by deflating and reflating the tyres and driving around the block to see if the temperature changed - so I am mystified as to why I had 'OK' readings before. The only thing is that Diagbox thinks the front tyres are the rear tyres and vice versa. We couldn't work out how to 're-set' the wheel recognition.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club