C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Neoform Beam Blade Wipers Opie Oil in a C6

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Mon Nov 22 2010, 09:58pm
Member No: #21
Thanks for the posts. I managed about 4 months before the judder started with the Neoforms. Almost every other car I have had including one with beam blades, would start to smear rather than judder!
Regards
G
gmerry   
Wed Jan 12 2011, 03:53pm
Steve and others, I've still got the Trico Neoforms fitted to the car figuring out I would defer change back to OEM until the spring (no ice and grit etc).

The Neoforms actually wipe beautifully apart from that horrid judder and so I had a closer look at the blades and could see no visible wear whatsoever.

What I did discover was that the blades where they hook into the wiper arms are a very loose fit and this allows the blades to effectively rattle in the wiper arms. This has previously been noted by others.

My theory is that any slip stick vibration at the glass/wiper interface is not being damped by a good old fashoined bit of friction in the wiper arm fitting. One way to prove the theory would be reduce the rattling fit with a bit of sticky tape.

Keep you posted!
G
gmerry   
Sat Jan 15 2011, 04:04pm
A small piece of duct tape fitted as an experiment, to the Neoform blade where it fits into the wiper arm. This eliminates the slop and introduces a little vibration damping into the system.

First photo is the blades in their "parked" position. The closeup shows the area where the duct tape is fitted.

Success so far! No more judder.
G

C6Dave   
Sat Jan 15 2011, 06:36pm

Member No: #1
Should you be doing 'Blue Peter' style repairs to new parts though?
Website
Trainman   
Sat Jan 15 2011, 09:01pm

Member No: #86
C6Dave wrote ...

One badge winging it's way to you..........

I noticed that mine have been playing up a bit today, they started juddering at the top, then later as I was on the M6 and got caught in a crose wind, it seemed like the wiper had lifted off the windscreen. I have a shufftie in the morning, but I have got another idea I want to try first........
michaelb   
Sun Jan 16 2011, 10:18am
Member No: #14
C6Dave wrote ...

Yes, if it stops them clacking like mine did before I put OEM ones back on.
gmerry   
Mon Jan 17 2011, 08:15am
No Judder still. Even after driving with wipers on "auto" in very light rain. These were the kind of conditions that created the worst judder.

I simply think that the wiper arms (or the Neoform blades) are out on tolerance for the fitting. Tape or some kind of spacer closes up the gap. Apllying the tape to the blades is entirely reversible: of course black tape compared to the silver gaffer tape I had to hand would be entirely inconspicuous.

Regards
G
JimC   
Sun Apr 17 2011, 10:05pm
Member No: #229
I didn't think there was much of a gap between my juddering wiper and the arm, but managed to fit a very slim washer onto the pin (had to drill it out to a 5mm hole). However, it didn't make any difference.

In a another thread, I said I'd bought a pair of blades (£7.99 + free postage!) but they turned out to have different fittings so was going to have to dip into my piggybank again (some may say "serves you right for being such a miser but what do you expect from an Aberdonian)... on looking again, I've removed the rubber from the new blades and fitted them to my existing wipers. Time will tell !!
gmerry   
Mon Apr 18 2011, 04:07pm
Jim, as one Aberdonian to another (OK, by my children) but I found using the soft gaffer tape worked a treat. I have a roll of black tape so it's completely invisible. The Mark I version used silver tape so could be spotted on close inspection.

I think the softness of the tape adds some damping to the system which surpresses the vibrations (judder)

Regards
G
JimC   
Mon Apr 18 2011, 05:40pm
Member No: #229
Thanks G.
If my £7.99 cure doesn't work, I'll certainly give it a go. So far so good ... although with no rain (wait until tomorrow!), I've only tested them with the windscreen washers. However, early results are positive with a much cleaner wipe.

Cheers,
J
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club