C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Level Switch for Coolant Reservoir / Degassing Tank

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Mon Apr 22 2013, 09:18am
Member No: #21
Hi, thought best to start a new thread on this.

Following Chevron's misfortune with blown head gasket and previous problems with thermostat tank failures and corrosion potential for heater return pipe (above left hand wheel arch), a warning on low level in the coolant reservoir/degassing tank might be a "good thing"

To integrate this into the car's BSI, is a software and wiring job well beyond my capabilities: a reasonable workaround is to wire a coolant level switch in parallel with the oil pressure warning light.

As it happens, the oil pressure warning switch for the 2.7HDi is mounted right on top of the engine. From the harness going to the front injectors, there is a wire going off to the oil pressure switch with a single green/yellow stripped wire. A bit of a give away that the oil pressure switch just switches to earth is the single wire and the colour. From here across to the coolant reservoir is a very short route so easy peasy to connect the two.

The coolant level switch being considered is a reed switch operated by a float. When the coolant level falls, the switch closes and the completes the circuit to earth. A suitable switch in high temperature PPS has been purchased from DEETER Electronics.

On test, the dashboard flashes up STOP and a "oil pressure low" mesasage comes up on the Navidrive display and all in all this should be hard to ignore. To test the operation of the float switch and circuit, it is just a matter of opening the coolant reservoir (cold) and pushing down the float switch.

Regards
G

PS, over the years I have had two Citroen engine problems with coolant loss. In both cases the engine temperature warnings were way too late to save the engine.

PPS, the handbook for 2008 actually shows a level sensor on the coolant tank but no such thing fitted to my car. Some of you may already have it - let us know if you do
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club