C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Rust never sleeps

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Tjensen   
Sat Apr 13 2013, 01:37pm
Member No: #954
I looks like C6 have inherited one of the not-so-good sides of the DS (and Ami etc). Too many different metals too close create galvanic problems and then rust wil accelerate. My "new" (2010) and garage-parked 3,0 have many small areas where corrosion show up with alarming speed. Fixing parts for the deflector, door-lock main parts, screws holdning lower door plastic panels, small screws and parts in the engine area, suspension parts etc. It is only on the surface and can be called cosmetic problems, but if we want the car to last for decades, then it is a seriuos problem. Main chassis is probably galvanized and solid and I have extra rust treatment. But now I am quite often taking the round with the sprayboxes with thin rustprofer and different oils as well ....
mark28   
Sat Apr 13 2013, 04:17pm
Member No: #102
The c 6 will never last for decades . Modern cars struggle to last a decade !
Tjensen   
Sat Apr 13 2013, 10:08pm
I really thinks cars are getting better, easier to maintain, lasting longer. Remember chassis rust of the 1970s ? Or the engines from 1965 that needed valve adjustment and changing ignition points two times a year and main overhaul after 120 000km ? But more complex and more difficult to handle if something goes wrong and therfore more dependent on special parts and professionals.

Small glitches during construction can become great problems if they are not monitored. We have such isues with the C6 and a list of things to check and handle is important. To change geear oil every 50' and look after and put oil on a few screws are OK and examples that prevention is best strategy.
mark28   
Sun Apr 14 2013, 05:35am
The reason I meant that the c6 will not last that long is that they are so expensive to repair. I look at the 1000's that mine cost Cit UK when it was just 5 years old. In another 5-6 years all those parts will need replacing. The car will only be worth a couple of thousand by then ( if that) most people will scrap them at that point .
Tjensen   
Sun Apr 14 2013, 12:10pm
All premium cars are expensive to maintain, it does not solve the problem to buy another. Parts and standard repair prices are not high compared to Merc, Audi, Jag etc. Too often Citroens are thrown away instead of maintained. If ypu are not selling, the "value" is of little interest, the important is to maintain it.
C6Dave   
Sun Apr 14 2013, 12:35pm

Member No: #1
Tjensen wrote ...

Too often Citroens are thrown away instead of maintained. If you are not selling, the "value" is of little interest, the important is to maintain it.

Exactly, preventative maintenance is the cornerstone of all manufacturing businesses with a view to preventing downtime and loss of production, so why do people think that they can simply get in a car, drive it forever without doing anything to prevent problems arising?
Website
ChrisHunter   
Sun Apr 14 2013, 03:01pm
Member No: #188
Our garage mentioned, the other day, that most problems, with cars they see for repair these days, are essentially owner-inflicted, through neglect (including neglecting to change the oil, etc) ...

Our 1986 CX GTi Turbo 2 lasted us sixteen years, in Germany & UK ... and the only rust to talk-of was on the inside of the lower edge of the boot (not noticeable unless one looked up with boot open), plus small screws here & there were too-tight to move (eg: we couldn't remove the front grill, after someone had reversed into us & we needed to slacken it to get it back into position) ... and last we heard (a bit over a year ago) it was still running about, somewhere to the south ...
Tjensen   
Sun Apr 14 2013, 03:31pm
My 1985 CX T1 was sold with some rust developing but no mechanical problems. Biggest threat was engine computer and DIRAVI, working fine, but very difficult and expensive to repair if.... . The 1992 XM V6 was sold fully functioning and witout rust, but may need a DIRAVI overhaul after 300oookm. Both were sold with extra DIRAVI. Lack of parts was solvable with internet, but the lack of enthusiasm at Citroen garages was a real pain.
mark28   
Sun Apr 14 2013, 03:36pm
My point is not about preventative work, I change the oil on my car every 9000 miles have my c6 checked every 8-10 k from front to back, my point is that some parts on all modern cars are too expensive to justify keep the car on the road. Older cars are much easier to maintain. My 1976 SL has nothing on it that would cost more than the car is worth to repace
magicands   
Mon Apr 15 2013, 04:08pm
Member No: #1021
mark28 wrote ...

The reason I meant that the c6 will not last that long is that they are so expensive to repair. I look at the 1000's that mine cost Cit UK when it was just 5 years old. In another 5-6 years all those parts will need replacing. The car will only be worth a couple of thousand by then ( if that) most people will scrap them at that point .

I have to agree with the above comment.

My C6 is a money pit, its been in the garage for over a week now waiting for special order parts. People think we can simply shell out £1000 at will - NOT SO.

My C6 cost me £10,000 in Sept and due to failures that cost has now risen by a further £3000.

Its not the expense of replacing parts but the regularity at which I am having to do so that is worrying, never have I owned a car that has failed so often over a 6 month period!

Caught between the devil and the deep Blue sea now though regarding keeping it or selling it on at yet another huge loss?
Website
Tjensen   
Mon Apr 15 2013, 06:33pm
OK. I understand. I have been lucky so far. But one of my DS Breaks was bought for 12000NKR, then it had to be rust-repaired for 50000NKR, way beyond its "value". But after that it lasted for 9 years/90.000km without dramatic expenses. In average: cheap and reliable for years ! Buying a new is usalley the most expensive option. My XM was probably the most expensive in use, so far. But a bargain to buy, with 200000 km on the clock. A very good and powerful luxury ship for 5 years and 100 000 km.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club