Make-over advice

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Valleybuoy   
Thu Mar 28 2013, 01:15pm
Member No: #1069
Hi

So want to "smarten" up my recently purchased C6. Black with cream interior.

Thoughts please on:

- The paintwork, whilst excellent, looks dull. Is TCut the best treatment? What would be the best way to finish it off wax-wise?
- Mats - any recommendations on where I can source good quality?
- The alloys are looking a little dull, again in great condition overall - just wondering how to bring out their best - particularly for the bit around the Citroen chevrons in the middle.
- What would be the best cleaning treament for the steering wheel/ leather seats?

Also inside the car, around the bottom right of the centre console, housing the radio/ aircon etc, the ruberised black covering appears to be coming away a little exposing black plastic underneath. (Anyone else seen this?).

Thanks for any advice and/or links to other posts.

Gareth
gmerry   
Thu Mar 28 2013, 02:10pm
Member No: #21
Citroen OEM mats are brillant quality, fit, toughness and looks.

You will need a part number: the dealers won't have a clue.

Regards
G
magicands   
Thu Mar 28 2013, 05:31pm
Member No: #1021
I would advise against the use of a cutting paste on your paintwork unless you have obvious marks from such things as bird lime.
A good was and then a serious wax will bring out the paintwork, but I mean a serious wax not a 5 minute job.
Dull alloys will require a re polish from a professional!
Website
Trainman   
Thu Mar 28 2013, 08:51pm

Member No: #86
magicands wrote ...

I would advise against the use of a cutting paste on your paintwork unless you have obvious marks from such things as bird lime.
A good was and then a serious wax will bring out the paintwork, but I mean a serious wax not a 5 minute job.
Dull alloys will require a re polish from a professional!

I agree, nothing beats a good wash, I use Autoglym Bodywash Conditioner, once I've washed it, Chamois it off and then use Autoglym Deep Shine, this is specially made for dark colours. Once I've finishing the polish I then put a top coat of Simonize Extra Protection Gloss on and this really protects the polish.

As for the wheel centres, what I did was strip them down, they break down quite easily, even the chrome comes off (becareful if you this as the chrome pieces are different shapes, for where they are on the wheel) I then washed the black/grey plastic before spraying it with a matt black paint, once dried reassemble and they look 10 times better.
Valleybuoy   
Tue Apr 02 2013, 02:04pm
Hi. So went to Halfords on the weekend and loaded up on various autoglym products - so will see what impact I can have!

Steve - I managed to ease out the inner plastic spheres on the alloys, however, can't seem to find the way to take off the Citroen chrome chevrons without breaking the one-way clips? How did you manage this. I want to repaint the black bits also - however can't separate them out (they've gone a milky greyish colour.

Also I noticed on close inspection that the rubber seal around the front windscreen appears to be scratched and dented a bit - I assume from a botched windscreen replacement at some point. Has anyone else seen this effect before?
Valleybuoy   
Sun Apr 07 2013, 07:52pm
Guys..check out the results from my day's work using various autoglym products, chrome cleaners etc...looks great, and a lit of elbow grease. Thanks for the advice.

Won't ever look so good again!

Pappnase   
Sun Apr 07 2013, 08:10pm
Member No: #1044
Looks brilliant!

In fact, inspired by your posts, last week I bought 40 quid worth of wax, polish and stuff to "smarten" up mine too.

What did you do with the chrome? Mine is very scratched, even if this is only visible when looking very careful. I suspect is is not chrome anyway but polished aluminium.
Hattershaun   
Sun Apr 07 2013, 08:52pm
Member No: #320
I've used Autoglym Bumper Care on chrome trims with good results. This product is oily and seems to remove all the crazing/scratches. It is also very good on any coarse surfaced plastic door handles, mirror surrounds, bumpers etc. not only does is get rid of the faded look of the plastics it covers up or removes any sign of polish residue.
Valleybuoy   
Sun Apr 07 2013, 10:06pm
For the chrome I used Autosol Metal Polish (Halfords): comes in a tube. It does lift the shine - but the scratches are still there... I also used it on the exhaust where it did a really nice job of getting rid of discoloration.

Wouldn't say it sounds as good as the Autoglym Bumper Care above - may give that a go if it can get rid of the scratching/mottled effect.

Any of you seen the issue I have of the rubber seal around the front window been scratched/ damaged etc? I think it isn't stone chips: but would be interested to know if that is just me (in which case I assume it's down to a replacement windscreen being fitted at some stage).
BruceB   
Mon Apr 08 2013, 07:55am
Member No: #234
Valleybuoy wrote ...

Guys..check out the results from my day's work

That's a helluva dead body outline at the bottom of the second photo.
drummond   
Mon Apr 08 2013, 08:29am
Member No: #238
When I got mine, it had Autoglym Lifeshine on it- looked beyond new. Think that I might get the outside done again....
Valleybuoy   
Mon Apr 08 2013, 09:31am
I think the camera phone I used to take the shots elongates the car a little - and emphasizes how long the car actually is!

To keep the shine after all that hard work - think I will try Simonize Extra Protection Gloss as recommended by Steve.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club