OK to put C6 through a car wash?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Chopley   
Sat Oct 06 2012, 05:52pm
Member No: #1040
Hi there,

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I have done a search and looked at the FAQs but couldn't find a reference to it

Basically, is it alright to put a C6 through a standard garage car wash? Does the rear windscreen cause any problems?

Also, what to do with the wing mirrors, is it best to try and get them folded in, or leave them out for the brushes to do their worst with?

I'm not much of a one for hand-washing cars, but there is a very good local hand-wash service that I would use if a garage car wash is a no-no.

Thanks!
Trainman   
Sat Oct 06 2012, 06:58pm

Member No: #86
Personally, I prefer to wash mine by hand, I have been through a machine one, only because she was caked in mud, I do find that hand wash one are generally better as the machine one's always miss something or somewhere.

The mirrors can be folded in from inside the car, if you put the mirror selector switch in the central position and pull it back slightly the mirror close to the door, do it again and they reopen.
C6Dave   
Sun Oct 07 2012, 09:25am

Member No: #1
You can leave the mirrors folded out.

An automated wash may leave a patch dirty on the rear bumper, don't know why though. It must be to do with the brush set up.

However they are best avoided as can damage paint work, as can 'hand' washers if they don't rinse their cloths enough or worse still, use 'sponges'
Website
skipppy   
Sun Oct 07 2012, 09:54am
Member No: #914
I wouldn't be familiar with car washes in the UK but the automated ones we have in Australia with the rotating brushes are not only inefficient but are also likely to leave scratches on the paint. I would never put a good car through one of those washes.

'Car Washing' by hand is common in cities here and I haven't washed my cars for over five years since it costs around $25 to do the outside and $35 inside and out. I guess that's around Stg.15 and 21 or so. And since I'm washing a work car it's tax deductible.

After major country trips it's a quick wash of the car bra, on the C6, and then off to the car wash for a hand job, so to speak.
Rich   
Sun Oct 07 2012, 11:24am
Member No: #542
Always use ARC and never have a problem.
C6Dave   
Sun Oct 07 2012, 12:45pm

Member No: #1
skipppy wrote ...

'Car Washing' by hand is common in cities here and I haven't washed my cars for over five years since it costs around $25 to do the outside and $35 inside and out. I guess that's around Stg.15 and 21 or so. And since I'm washing a work car it's tax deductible.

It's between £5.00 - £7.00 for a hand wash of the C6 here in the UK...........
Website
skipppy   
Sun Oct 07 2012, 07:53pm
Member No: #914
I'm turning slightly green on hearing that car washes are cheaper over there, but that's just one of many things that cost more in the Great Southern Land. Computer hardware is far too expensive, for another, and it seems that companies are pulling the wool over our eyes ... [is that a local Aussie expression because we have squillions of sheep?]

Having referred to animals; I've just come back from an inaugural country trip in my new C5 and was a little concerned at the number of dead wallabies at the roadside. We expect some, and a surprising number of foxes, but the number seemed to be greater this time.

The kangaroos and wallabies go out foraging for food at dusk and dawn so that's when you need to slow down in the bush. No one wants to encounter a full grown 2 metre old man kangaroo at 120 kph!!

I don't mind cleaning the bugs off after a country trip but the that is more of an insurance write-off.
Chopley   
Sun Oct 28 2012, 10:47am
Member No: #1040
Put the C6 through a car wash today. It just about fit, and I really do mean JUST ABOUT.

The wheelbase was a very tight squeeze between the guide rails, and the front parking sensors were going off on either side at their 'YOU REALLY ARE ABOUT TO DRIVE INTO A SOLID OBJECT' level of intensity due to the car's proximity to the vertical struts of the gantry, with the display showing a critical red bar at both the front left and front right.

I had to fold the mirrors in, and even then I had a moment where I thought the gantry thing that carries the jets and the brushes and what have you was going to hit the folded in mirrors.

According to the instructions no vehicle over 2m wide can go through, with the mirrors folded out the C6 is a bit wider than that, with them folded in, ever so slightly less than 2m.

Still, at least I know it will go through a car wash now, unlike the Scooby which was a hand wash job thanks to the stupid spoiler.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club