C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

When pulling away...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Chevrons   
Tue Jul 10 2012, 01:43pm
Member No: #85
There is a lot of discussion of 'automatic in neutral when idling' on many car forums, however, no firm conclusion either way.

The only official statement I can find is from ROSPA here: - Click Here -

''When stationary in traffic, even for many minutes, it is not necessary to move the gear lever into neutral because the torque converter absorbs the engine’s propulsion force but does not transmit it all to the gearbox.

No wear is taking place. In fact, more wear will take place if you engage neutral then engage a drive gear when it is possible to move off. Most gearboxes will automatically select first gear when the vehicle becomes stationary.''

While guidance may be given regarding the correct actions in certain circumstances, not all eventualities can be covered. The following is intended as general guidance in some common sets of circumstances.

You should cover the footbrake when moving the gear lever when the vehicle is stationary.

You may wish to set the parking brake as many vehicles will ‘creep’ and some vehicles may have a tendency to lurch, particularly if fitted with an automatic choke.

Stops in traffic, at junctions and at traffic lights leave the selector in D.

There is no need to move into neutral, as no damage will result.

You may wish to set the parking brake if the pause becomes a wait but your decision will depend on the circumstances.
Gobxoy   
Tue Jul 10 2012, 05:00pm
Member No: #786
According to wikipedia - Click Here - the box "auto" selects netural anyway. So may be that filling up the Torque Converter feeling is just tardy re-selecting 1st?

The shifting of gears is managed by a sophisticated computer programme which oversees a clutch-to-clutch actuation. Gear changes are accomplished by one clutch engaging the instant the clutch from the previous gear disengages. The transmission control module (TCM) is located inside the transmission housing, instead of being located outside it. The advantage of this is to reduce external wiring as well as to provide a constant environment for TCM operation which encourages longevity. One aspect of the advanced nature of the electronics is at idle, it automatically selects neutral gear to reduce internal temperatures and improves fuel economy.

I tend to leave it in "D" although used to select "N" and apply electronic parking brake occasionally.

Now won't bother I'll just apply EPB for long stops.

chevrons.

Guilty of buying auto box car and leaving it in "D" 99.033% of the time.

Ped   
Tue Jul 10 2012, 11:34pm
Member No: #82
Thanks guys but remember my question:

You're sitting in neutral, for whatever reason, and are about to pull away. Do you engage foot brake, switch into gear, wait for the slack to be taken up, release brake and press the gas OR flip it into gear and press the gas, not touching the brake.

I've found I can pull away more smoothly by doing the latter and giving some throttle at about the same moment you normally feel the car bump a little as it takes up the slack.
C6Dave   
Wed Jul 11 2012, 06:53am

Member No: #1
If the handbrake is on you have no option but to press the footbrake to allow it to disengage so personally I always have my foot on the brake before selecting drive.
Website
Gobxoy   
Wed Jul 11 2012, 07:40am
Ped originally wrote:-

I've noticed that when I'm at the lights, in neutral, when I put it into gear I tend to put my foot on the brake. What do you do? Just flip it into gear and give it some juice? I'm sure using the brake has no effect as by the time the car starts to creep my foot has left the brake anyway. It's just force of habit I think.

Q.

"in neutral, when I put it into gear I tend to put my foot on the brake. What do you do?"

A.

Leave it in drive.

Additional.

Left foot brake followed by cordinated release of foot brake and application of accelerator to ensure smooth take off.

pclark   
Wed Jul 11 2012, 07:52am
Member No: #3
The parking brake can be released by pressing the accelerator while simultaneously operating the switch in the centre console as an alternative to foot on brake.

I think this only applies to later C6's as I tried it once in a friend's early Lignage and it didn't work.

The C5, C4 Picasso and current C4/DS4 have a fully auto parking brake (not fitted to all models except Picasso)which you just drive off with the brake engaged and it releases automatically.

The C6, being a much earlier design is manual release only.
C6Dave   
Wed Jul 11 2012, 09:26am

pclark wrote ...

The parking brake can be released by pressing the accelerator while simultaneously operating the switch in the centre console as an alternative to foot on brake.

Oh, never tried that, have to give it a go......

EDIT: Phillip is correct. On the 3.0HDi you can sit with the parking brake engaged, press the accelerator and release the handbrake.

Perfect for launching away from the lights without the brake lights blinding those behind you.
Website
Gobxoy   
Wed Jul 11 2012, 04:11pm
Nope not on mine! EPB won't release without foot brake on.

mark28   
Wed Jul 11 2012, 05:07pm
Member No: #102
Auto release ! I had that on a renault . Great until it jams ! How hard is it to release a parking brake ?
C6Dave   
Wed Jul 11 2012, 06:47pm

Gobxoy wrote ...

Nope not on mine! EPB won't release without foot brake on.

So why is it on my 2009 3.0 hdi and not on yours?

Has the dealer not set it up correctly in PDI?
Website
Gobxoy   
Wed Jul 11 2012, 07:54pm
C6Dave wrote:-

So why is it on my 2009 3.0 hdi and not on yours?

Has the dealer not set it up correctly in PDI?

No Idea?

I'll check next time, I'm at Tolleys.

I may even read the hand book!
Gobxoy   
Wed Jul 11 2012, 08:16pm
mark28 wrote:-
How hard is it to release a parking brake ?

I actually know this one.

There is a "pull to release" yellow nylon strap, located under the rubber liner of the center arm rest.

NB Also a note to put the strap back neatly to avoid snaging.
pclark   
Thu Jul 12 2012, 07:39am
Member No: #3
There is a bit of a 'knack' to getting it to release with the accelerator. I only did it for a quick getaway as it could be a bit 'sudden' in a confined space!
Gobxoy   
Thu Jul 12 2012, 08:58am
pclarke wrote:-
There is a bit of a 'knack' to getting it to release with the accelerator. I only did it for a quick getaway as it could be a bit 'sudden' in a confined space!

C6dave was correct it is fitted and working!

Found I have to hold the brake release handle for a second or so before releasing.

Didn't find it 'sudden' though!

What revs are sugested?

I'll play with it some more!
gmerry   
Thu Jul 12 2012, 08:58am
Member No: #21
Dave, 2.7HDi (at least one built in 2007) has the same "auto" release handbrake facility. Lift Handbrake switch, press confidently on accelerator and you are away. I say confidently, otherwise its a bit jerky.

Regards
G
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club