Overheating

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
andyetan   
Sat Jun 13 2015, 06:39am
Member No: #2205
Hi!
Hope someone here can help. Had my C6 a week (2.7 HDI 2006) picked it up, drove home over an hour and backwards and forwards to work all week (25ml each way)all good till coming home last night when the "STOP" light came on and warning of overheating. Managed to get to a garage, cool down enough to remove cap, water spewed out for a while, I replaced it with fresh, put the cap back on and managed to get home another 5 miles. No more "STOP" light but engine very hot. No sign of water in the oil and no sign of oil in the water. Seems to be slight hissing coming from cap when sealed, heater in car blows cold air even when set to high, strange thing is looks like copper slip staining inside the bottle?
Any ideas or pointers please?

Many thanks

Andy
C6Dave   
Sat Jun 13 2015, 06:55am

Member No: #1
It sounds like someone has put 'K Seal' into the cooling system to stop a leak (it loks like Coppa Slip once in the system and hot)

It's used to seal leaking head gaskets etc. etc.

Not a good sign I'm afraid.
Website
andyetan   
Sat Jun 13 2015, 10:26pm
Thanks Dave! sounds like an expensive fix.

Andy
C6Dave   
Sun Jun 14 2015, 07:22am

Member No: #1
Head Gasket is worse case scenario, the C6 can suffer from coolant leaks in several places as posted in the forums and maybe someone added the K seal rather than try and trace them.

If you have only had the car a week and IF you got it from a trader, I would be speaking to them.
Website
magicands   
Sun Jun 14 2015, 05:27pm
Member No: #1021
C6Dave wrote ...

Head Gasket is worse case scenario, the C6 can suffer from coolant leaks in several places as posted in the forums and maybe someone added the K seal rather than try and trace them.

If you have only had the car a week and IF you got it from a trader, I would be speaking to them.

Lets hope that its NOT the Head Gasket, keep us posted please & good luck
Website
andyetan   
Mon Jun 15 2015, 08:37pm
Hi guys
I got it from a private seller, I asked about any issues with the engine or gearbox, he said they were fine. I test drove it and indeed it seemed fine and I drove it home an hour away. on the third day of my 25ml drive to work the heater stopped working, started warm then went cold at the beginning of each journey, thought it might be a sensor then Friday evening it overheated and when I removed the coolant cap I found the copper coloured speckles, he'd obviously put it in ready for a test drive, I think it's a cracked head or cylinder, gutted to say the least and apparently it's my hard luck, no consumer protection for this.
Tjensen   
Mon Jun 15 2015, 09:20pm
Member No: #954
Be sure to check other (cheaper)sources of leakage (and there are some....)first. AND: there are laws regulating even private sales, especially if the copper colour is the sign of deliberateley hiding a serious fault.
drummond   
Tue Jun 16 2015, 02:35pm
Member No: #238
I'd get the car to a Citroen main dealer and ask him to comment in writing upon the cause, and the cost of repair. Alternatively, from Cambridge, I'd go to BL Autos in Welwyn GC, and ask them the same.

Then, I'd write to the vendor and point out that you've had the car a week and that, contrary to what was discussed, it's got a major fault, it'll cost x to repair, and that's what you're looking for. Otherwise you'll go to the small claims court. Give him 20 working days to reply. Don't be fobbed off- particularly, don't go to his garage.

At the end of 20 days, you can issue in the small claims court. It's online, .gov.uk. £3000-£5000 costs £185 issue fee. Do add interest- you might not get it, but if it goes forward, it's worthwhile.

If you can afford it, get the whole thing repaired first and issue for liquidated damages.

Don't be afraid- you've got what appears to be a claim!
andyetan   
Tue Jun 16 2015, 10:51pm
Hi drummond

Thanks for the advice, I've got it booked into local Citroen dealer next week, I've emailed the guy twice asking him to return my money as he obviously concealed a serious fault, he hasn't replied. I spoke with trading standards who said I had a difficult job to prove he did it (in theory I could have wrecked it and falsely claim he did it)they also advised going on the .gov.uk site and getting more pointers.

Thanks again, will let you know how it goes but it's a long process I think.

Andy
David Hallworth   
Tue Jun 16 2015, 11:08pm

Member No: #90
Might be worth giving the guys at BL Auto's or a few other local indies a quick call in case they have seen the car in the past and can shed any light on it.

If the seller knew more then he was letting on, he might have had it looked at by someone before he sold it.

David.
andyetan   
Thu Jun 18 2015, 10:05pm
Thanks David
May well do that, got it from Billericay, will look at yell for garages round there.
Norman   
Fri Jun 19 2015, 07:41am
Member No: #364
Have a word with mark at Edwards & sons in Billericy
- Click Here -

Norman
BillTodd   
Fri Jun 19 2015, 10:55am
Member No: #1775
06, billercay. Blue?, cream interior?
andyetan   
Fri Jun 19 2015, 07:19pm
Hi Norman, hi Bill

I'll do that Norman thanks!

Yes Bill, that's the one.

Andy
BillTodd   
Fri Jun 19 2015, 08:07pm
Member No: #1775
Well, I only met the owner briefly, but he didn't strike me as the type who would purposefully mislead anyone.

He is/was a member here, and the history of the car and the troubles he had with it, and work done to fix it, are documented in his posts. (I'll PM a link)

What I would suggest is, "Don't panic", there are many reasons for overheating that need to be checked before the heads get pulled.

Bill
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club