C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Cruise control, lexia charge

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Fri Jul 06 2012, 05:43pm
Member No: #82
My C6 is going for it's MOT at Slough in the next couple of weeks as they are fairly close to Maidenhead. My Cruise Control has been intermittent for a while, so I called them and said 'Whilst you have it could you take a look, I think the contacts need cleaning'.

They said they had NEVER HEARD of one working after simply being cleaned. I said they were wrong. They said they would need to do a lexia on the car costing £130 odd before doing anything else. I said 'just clean it before you do lexia and see' and they said they wouldn't.

I don't need to tell you what I said next.

Is that normal? I don't think it's right that we should have to pay over £100 whenever ANYTHING goes wrong electronically because they want to hook it up to Lexia. I'm 99% sure no fault will be recorded anyway.
C6Dave   
Fri Jul 06 2012, 06:21pm

Member No: #1
Well there simply following the laid down fault identification procedure, bit like a Doctor who now has to follow a basic 'route map' when prescribing.

Give you the basic anti biotic, when it doesn't work, give you a stronger one etc. etc.
Website
Hattershaun   
Fri Jul 06 2012, 06:39pm
Member No: #320
For £130 you could pay for the fuel to drive to BL Autos, pay for your MOT and have enough left over to take us all out for lunch!
Cleaning the contacts should take a few minutes, ditto plugging in Lexia.

My cruise control works intermittently all the time I've had my car, yet it always starts working if I move the steering wheel in/out & up/down, so I've not investigated any further.
Ped   
Fri Jul 06 2012, 07:13pm
Hattershaun wrote ...

For £130 you could pay for the fuel to drive to BL Autos, pay for your MOT and have enough left over to take us all out for lunch!
Cleaning the contacts should take a few minutes, ditto plugging in Lexia.

My cruise control works intermittently all the time I've had my car, yet it always starts working if I move the steering wheel in/out & up/down, so I've not investigated any further.

Hi Shaun

I emailed Rob earlier and said I would go to him instead. Hopefully you'll be around too, in thinking 23rd or one day that week anyway. Lunch sounds good. Let me know what days you're about and I'll call rob and book it in. I'll also bring camera and see if I can go in the BX and DS. I'll see if Rob wants the pics for his website.
mark28   
Sat Jul 07 2012, 02:07pm
Member No: #102
Mine was cleaned , the car was still under warranty . The garage did this first as it was cheaper for Citroen . Working perfectly ever since .
verycleverman   
Sat Jul 07 2012, 04:19pm
Member No: #65
Can anyone tell me how to gain access to the switches for cleaning. I would very much like to perform this operation myself, but advancing years, an increasing girth and consequent lack of flexibility deter me from grubbing about in the footwell.

Pete.
Gobxoy   
Sat Jul 07 2012, 05:25pm
Member No: #786
If your talking about the buttons on the steering wheel?

Would it be worth protecting the air bag/steering wheel/dash etc.

Then spray some contact cleaner in at the top while pressing, the buttons? I think 3M's do a inert no residue one.

It's unlikley you could make them worse, and it would save takeing the airbag module off????
Ped   
Sun Jul 08 2012, 07:19pm
Would also be interested to hear how one would clean switches
drummond   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 06:46am
Member No: #238
Slough replaced my switches, although it was nothing to do with them. Then they replaced the brain in the steering wheel, which was.

So, based on a sample of one, I think that the switches might be a palliative rather than a cure!
gmerry   
Mon Jul 09 2012, 08:55am
Member No: #21
As per Hattershaun, my cruise control works intermittantly but can "always" be fixed by releasing the steeruing wheel adjustment and ggiving this a sharpe tap upwards. This is after having the steering wheel buttons replaced under warranty. I subscribe to the theory there is a loose contact somewhere.

Regards
G

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club