C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Storing a classic for a few months

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Mon Oct 10 2011, 06:19am

Member No: #1
I know a few members have classic cars as well as a C6 and was looking for some insight into how you look after them in the winter.

The Morris Minor does get used in the rain (unlike some cars) but I don't want to be venturing out when there is salt and grit on the roads, so it looks like it may be garaged for some time over the winter.

I have another 2 rally's lined up this month, weather permitting but from November it's possibly going to be stood for 3-4 months, so....

I have changed the oil and filter so at least it's not going to have acid laden stuff in the engine and have greased the handbrake cables etc etc.

The garage is well insulated, reasonably draft free, but not heated and I have a high quality protective cover for the car as well

Is there anything in particular that should be done to care for it so it remains problem free?
Website
drummond   
Mon Oct 10 2011, 07:37am
Member No: #238
Take the handbrake off, put a brick in front and behind a wheel if you are worried that it will end up outside the garage.

If you've got four axle stands, put the car on those so that the tyres are clear of the floor, 'cos otherwise you might get tyres that are out of round (which will fail an MOT) Don't ask me how I know this...

I would probably wash it on exit rather than cover it, but then again my cars in France are all covered. The best solution, without any doubt, is to Carcoon the classic, it's "only" £400. However, this assumes one has power to the garage, and that it does not get eaten by mice. Don't ask, etc...

The really anal would cover all the chrome in grease, but I don't (yet!)

The Tractions have the clutch immediately below the inlet pipe for the radiator, which means that if it leaks the clutch sticks on. Which means the engine out. (Don't ask..) Which is why you see any in long term storage with the clutch held in with a piece of wood. I don't know about Mimsers, but ask around.

Disconnect the battery, charge it and keep charging it once a month.

I'll think of something else...

Tim
C6Dave   
Mon Oct 10 2011, 08:31am

Member No: #1
Thanks Tim. The cover is to stop the car getting scratched (got one of these for $98 - Click Here - but they have gone up!!!! ) as the garage is integral to the house and contains the washer and dryer along with some other storage which means activity around the car, so I want to minimise any potential for scratching etc.

Carcoon - Click Here - looks brilliant, but maybe a bit OTT for a Moggy but.......

Yes, must get a battery charger
Website
ciao_chao   
Mon Oct 10 2011, 10:29am
Member No: #518
C6Dave wrote ...

Carcoon - Click Here - looks brilliant, but maybe a bit OTT for a Moggy but.......

Or not - Click Here - and - Click Here -
gmerry   
Mon Oct 10 2011, 11:52am
Member No: #21
Pretty comprehensive replies: maybe a good idea to add some oil into the bores through the sparkplugs holes, turn the engine over etc. Can save a ring sticking.

Also can be a good idea to give suspension components/exposed fasteners a squirt of Duckoil, Ferrosol etc to minimise any surface rust. I assume the body is already well rust proofed. ...make sure the dryer is well ducted to keep any condensing humidity away from the car.

Regards
G

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club